The Copper State Cruiser Resto Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thecrazygreek

A.K.A. TheCraftyGreek
Threads
I just got off the phone with Georg (Orangefj45) down in Stockton CA. About six months ago he posted up a 1974 FJ40 for sale here on the MUD classifieds. From the looks of it in the pics, and the background story, it should be one decent rig. Well, I bought the rig six months ago for 3k. It doesn’t include the engine and tranny, but George threw in a nice xfer case from a later BJ40. (IIRC) It also has a hard top and doors from a 1981.

So finally after 6 long months (George has been very patient with me) I am finally heading down this Friday (all the way from Salem Oregon, 600 miles one way) to pick her up. Can’t wait to get her home and begin the resto. And as my luck would have it, Sat is the infamous “Cruiser Swap Meet” that George holds every year. So I will definitely be checking that out before leaving Sat morning.

My build plans for the 74 are as follows:

• Combine the 1974 with my 1978
• Rolling chassis from the 78 will get married to the body of the 74
• This provides front disk brakes, 2F Engine, fine spline, etc.
• I will also be installing a Trollhole soft top with a set of REAL STEEL Bows
• I will keep the rear doors from the 74 as they will work great with the soft top
• Door VIN will be transferred
• It will be painted OEM 653 Olive Green
• I will be using OEM FST Soft Doors
• The rig already has a 2.5 inch lift installed!
• Wheels and tires will be OEM steelies wrapped in 31 x 10.50 BFG Muds
• I will also be repairing the rear quarter area along with the rear wheel openings (back to stock)​
This will be a complete body off the frame resto, but I feel it won’t be as problematic as my last resto due to the fact I have a complete rig to begin with and everything will fit together nicely. (cross fingers)

Oh and the name “Copper State Resto” comes from the fact that this 40 originated in Arizona… (rust free!)

:beer:
image-2560445150.jpg
image-4277125401.jpg
image-1142371266.jpg

Last edited:
Finnaly Picked her up..

Well, I am happy to report that I Made it home safely after picking up my new project... 1200 miles of good times. Got to stop and eat lunch at an In and Out burger! Yum! Also finally got to meet Georg at Valley Hybrids. Great guy and some cool toys in his shop. May the resto begin!
BTW the hard top is for sale as I have decided to go with a FST.
20130504_144352.jpg
20130503_180547.jpg
20130503_155400.jpg

Got a couple hours on the cruiser today.

I decided to tackle the body work first. And there's a couple major areas that needs attention. The DS rear corner was hit at some time and the PO decided to use liberal amounts of bondo to make it all good again. :rolleyes:

Also, the wheel wells have been cut open, then folded back. I bought a couple new body pieces to restore the flare areas back to stock from real steel body parts.

Cut out the rear ds corner complete with inner horn. Tons of bondo back there.

I'm contemplating building my own horn or using one end from a ccot one I have. But that means ruining a very nice rear sill. Also drilled out all the Rivets holding the ds flare on.

Its amazing what POs use for reinforcement.

ww_opening_top.jpg

ForumRunner_20130510_155820.jpg
ForumRunner_20130510_155842.jpg
ForumRunner_20130510_155905.jpg
ForumRunner_20130510_155925.jpg
ForumRunner_20130510_155939.jpg
ForumRunner_20130510_155957.jpg
ForumRunner_20130510_160019.jpg
ForumRunner_20130510_160040.jpg

Last edited:
has to be the thickest piece of bondo I've ever seen....and you're killing me with the picture of In-n-out...we need one of those up here in Seattle.

Hi, Looks like your off to a great start , Did Georg charge extra for the bondo ? Mike

Hi, Looks like your off to a great start , Did Georg charge extra for the bondo ? Mike
Thanks

He only charged me cost of bondo. But a whole gallon was used so 29.95. =)

Going to fire up the mig tomorrow. Woot!

Hobart handler 140... shooting. 23 with gas.
ForumRunner_20130510_214349.jpg

I am tackling a bunch of projects at once and watching the recents post are perfect. How do I meet up with you guys I have heard good things but I am still green. Trying to learn what I can.

Rear seat set-up?

Any pictures of how the rear jump seats were turn/mounted?

Any pictures of how the rear jump seats were turn/mounted?

I can take a couple. Pretty interesting. But the inner lower legs on each seat were removed, so I will have to figure that out if I'm going to reuse them.

Got the ds patch tacked in.
Did allot of trimming measuring etc. Cut more bondo out, that stuff was all over.

Looks like I'll have to make a patch of my own to fill in a small area.

I decided to repair the DS horn. It came out nice and test fit just right!
ForumRunner_20130511_172304.jpg
ForumRunner_20130511_172316.jpg

Looks good. Whose quarter panel patch is that?

I picked it up from real steel cruiser parts. Nice piece, about 16 guage.
Going to start in on the passenger side this weekend.

It's a slow go. Summer had me doing everything but working on the cruiser.
I'll have some stuff worth showing in a couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom