The Coleman Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You mean I've run across other people that are nuts about Landcruisers and old Coleman camping gear? This is just too good to be true.

Anyway, BTMhiker, your Coleman Picnic Stove reminded me of a couple of things in my collection:

I guess this must be the single -burner version of your 5409. It's a 5404 I picked up at a yard sale a few years ago.
5404.jpg

Then there's this, - a 5402B in everyone's favorite color for camping gear - PINK (go figure).

5402B.jpg

Like you, I've tried to find fuel canisters for them, but haven't had any luck. I'm a sucker for almost any old gas camping appliance, especially ones made by Coleman.

There is a store called J N Rich Camping Outfitters up in Shelby, NC. I haven't stepped inside in several years, but I know at one time, the owner had an extensive collection of old camping lanterns and stoves that dated back to the early 1900's. The vast majority of it was Coleman, but he had several J C Higgins lanterns and stoves, as well as stuff made by other manufacturers. Items in his collection are not really for sale (or at least they weren't then), but he took the time to give me a "tour" of sorts. I hope he's still around.

Cruiserdrew, I took this on a week long hunting trip a few years ago, and yes, it is loud. Good to know about the low pressure. Here's a pic I took tonight. I need to give it a good service. Also a pic of the "multi tool". You can't see it but the little orifice wire is still intact.
008.JPG

003.JPG

If someone needs a badass two burner stove, and you don't have the time or patience to hunt one down, here's a nice one on eBay. Even if it doubles or triples in price, it's still less than half the cost of a new stove of inferior size and construction. Judging by the appearance it would likely work with very little effort.

http://bit.ly/1m2VMSL

Man, that's a nice flame. I didn't know they got that hot. You could get a cup of coffee going pretty quick!

Buddy gave me a couple old coleman lanterns that were his parents. no clue on the age of the propane unit, but the 220j is a 75. I did not even have to replace the mantels :) Gotta figure out how to re weld the bail support properly tho.

20140418_172248.jpg

btw, i have the same pink single burner camp stove. somebody needs to figure out how to make them functional again :)

Gotta figure out how to re weld the bail support properly tho.

I had one do that and made 2 tiny spot welds and good as new. I did put some of the vht silver paint over the welds so they would not rust.

Cruiserdrew and FJ60Cam, What's the story on the larger diameter burners on the 413C? That's one of my complaints about all the camp style stoves, brand and fuel type independent, is the relatively small diameter burners.

Are those larger than the other models?

I'll second your complaint. I've always wondered if there was a way a bigger diameter burner that could be swapped on.

Cruiserdrew and FJ60Cam, What's the story on the larger diameter burners on the 413C? That's one of my complaints about all the camp style stoves, brand and fuel type independent, is the relatively small diameter burners.
^This

The 413C is the same as all the others. I think the one in question was a home brew job on ebay.

It would be super cool if one of you clever guys could come up with a slightly larger diameter burner. It might be easier to make an add on flame spreader if the size matters to you.

The alternative is to bring something giant like a Camp Chef.

You may recall that I've been hosting a "travelling lantern" that's circulating around. I've taken it here and there with pictures up on the Coleman forum. This past weekend the lantern and a 242c friend provided by TrickyT visited the most famous bridge in California and maybe the USA:

TravLan6043480x640_zpsc34bbb16.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody have a pic or link of said eBay home brew stove?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINT-COLEMA...555?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258d2a25a3

Although adding to mfg cost, etc., a larger diameter dual-range burner similar to Thermador's Star burner style or similar, would be more useful for me for cooking for 1 or 10. But I've got a little problem with OCD :D so no detail is too small :D

Nice pic of the lanterns and the GG bridge Andy...er Tom! Hmmm...maybe one with the Bixby Bridge (Big Sur) could start a lantern & bridge theme :)

Last edited:
Lastly...the big Camp Chef with large diameter 30k BTU burners is wonderful to cook over. But, unless you're Alvaro, we'd need darn near a trailer just for the stove :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom