Builds The Clustertruck Rides Again - Refurbishing a 1975 Chevota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seriously - all the insight is hugely appreciated. Only thing that happened this weekend was 1. Close on the house, it's officially mine :), and I'm officially broke! And 2. More penetrating oil on the bezel screws - they aren't budging.

The Vessel is a far better built tool and will actually fit the JIS screws on Japanese vehicles - just fyi .
Sarge

I only have US Philips head screwdrivers at the moment. I quickly realized that I'd just butcher the rusted-in bezel screws if I tried with them. I had a set of 5 JIS drivers in my Amazon cart. I threw in a Vessel impact driver as well. I didn't know impact screwdrivers existed. Hopefully I'll have the whole set in the next couple days.

I also have some replacement wiring en route from Coolerman to build some grounds for the front turn signals (and to have some in stock as I inevitably find more issues).

I only have US Philips head screwdrivers at the moment. I quickly realized that I'd just butcher the rusted-in bezel screws if I tried with them. I had a set of 5 JIS drivers in my Amazon cart. I threw in a Vessel impact driver as well. I didn't know impact screwdrivers existed. Hopefully I'll have the whole set in the next couple days.

I also have some replacement wiring en route from Coolerman to build some grounds for the front turn signals (and to have some in stock as I inevitably find more issues).
The impact driver is what got all of my rusted screws out of the hood, top, door hinges. I think I only had issue with one. That was after soaking with that stuff I use (errr, what's it called....) "BG In-Force" spray. Great penetrating liquid. Better than PB, on par with Kroll. Amazing how when you hit it with the hammer, the force keep the bit from stripping the screw slots.

The whole problem is the angle of engagement to the screw head - Philips is designed to "cam out" to limit torque and avoid breaking the screw off . JIS standard is meant to be torqued to a specified value and will easily withstand values high enough to break fasteners or strip threaded holes out . The angle is slight in appearance but the difference is huge . Vessel's hand drivers are built so well I haven't touched any of my other ones since buying the new Vessel's - including the uber-expensive Swiss and German made Philips drivers that cost double the price of the Vessel sets I have . Even their multi-driver with included bits fits so well it will snap loose or break Philips screws that are stuck - that one rides in the Tacoma and has seen a lot of abuse at work already - not a sign of wear yet . I should get a commission from them for sales - got two large Electrical contractors in the area that bought huge bulk orders to replace their employee's work tools after showing their job foreman's my Vessel drivers after they had issues on a job site . I gave two of their guys one each #2 impact driver bits to replace the ones they were stripping screws out of the enclosures on a building site and they lasted the duration of the job - got one heck of a nice starter box for my 220v compressor in return , new in box for the price of the bits . Considering becoming a tool distributor so I can get out of doing heavy construction work - Vessel would be one line I'd definitely stock .

Just wait until you get that impact driver - it's a hefty beast . Like I said , call Dan and he can set up a split order of the impact driver bits to fit the common 1/4" hex (6.35mm with 9.5mm ball detent) - I ordered 10 of each , #3 & #2 Cross . These are the go-to bits for the common 18v (insert your brand here) cordless impact drivers everyone likes . Amazingly powerful tool for any type of work - my Bosch is rated @125ft/lbs of torque and with a socket adapter gets used a lot .

http://www.vesseltools.com/industri...5mm-ball-detent/cross/487205/flypage.tpl.html
http://www.vesseltools.com/industri...5mm-ball-detent/cross/487210/flypage.tpl.html

Those bits aren't cheap for sure , most guys would be well served with only 3 of those two sizes - I have yet to wear one of the first ones out despite heavy use . Using the rest for other mechanics/welders/electricians as trading stock , lol .

This is a great basic set that covers pretty much everything you'll ever need -
http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-too...ir/motorcycle-repair-kit/flypage_sku.tpl.html
The silver/black handled units are actually impact drivers for hand work and are awesome .

The 930 series are my favorite although might be a bit heavy for some folks to use - but they should last a very long time and handle excess abuse -
http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/screwdrivers/megadora/930-series/flypage.tpl.html

Ok , sales pitch off - where's my check ???

Sarge

Ok I'm full up on JIS screwdrivers. Thanks for the recommendations @Weber Sarge and @Vae Victus! Amazon took an eternity to ship - looking forward to trying out that impact screwdriver.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Ooooh you got the fancy one!

I didn't buy the 2400... I wanted to, but I'm hoping the less beefy one will do the trick. Of course, we are in the midst of getting 10 more inches of snow...so further delays...:bang:

Is it spring yet?

That 2400 is an animal and despite a Cruiser's heavy sheet metal you can dent panels , so be careful . The silver #2 JIS you have (Impacta series) works pretty well but doesn't have half the force of the 2400 unit that is fully designed to knock things loose like an air impact . I know they aren't cheap , but they also don't wear like other tools , they are amazingly tough and well designed . Should last a guy nearly a lifetime . I can never say enough about them , just the fact I haven't touched my uber-expensive German and Swiss made drivers since buying the Vessel tools says a lot ...
Sarge

That 2400 is an animal and despite a Cruiser's heavy sheet metal you can dent panels , so be careful . The silver #2 JIS you have (Impacta series) works pretty well but doesn't have half the force of the 2400 unit that is fully designed to knock things loose like an air impact . I know they aren't cheap , but they also don't wear like other tools , they are amazingly tough and well designed . Should last a guy nearly a lifetime . I can never say enough about them , just the fact I haven't touched my uber-expensive German and Swiss made drivers since buying the Vessel tools says a lot ...
Sarge

Are you sure you aren't on Vessel's payroll? ;) The 2400 is definitely on the list down the road. However, right now I've got to stay CHEAP. 1st discovery of homeownership - everything costs 2X more than it should and everything breaks immediately after you sign your life away.

Are you sure you aren't on Vessel's payroll? ;) The 2400 is definitely on the list down the road. However, right now I've got to stay CHEAP. 1st discovery of homeownership - everything costs 2X more than it should and everything breaks immediately after you sign your life away.

Welcome to the life of property ownership. But, it's worth it!

Don

Welcome to the life of property ownership. But, it's worth it!

Don

Yep! I enjoy projects to this is all fun for me so far...I already got the "rotten egg" smell out of my water heater, replaced all the locks/doorknobs, got the funk out of the jetted tub lines, and all the other minor repairs. Next is getting the water treatment system to stop leaking and start actually treating the water. After that, I'll need to buy a lawnmower - and a big one at that. Holy $hi+ those things are expensive...Especially one capable of mowing 3+ acres in a reasonable timeframe.

Once all that is said and done - it will be on to the garage - getting all the wet insulation out where the pipes burst, and rewiring it for cruiser work.

Keep us posted on your progress. I spent most of my life around residential construction, mostly custom cabinets. The last 14 years or so that I was able to work was installing the cabinets and custom millwork. A lot of the time was in upscale homes.

Don

Keep us posted on your progress. I spent most of my life around residential construction, mostly custom cabinets. The last 14 years or so that I was able to work was installing the cabinets and custom millwork. A lot of the time was in upscale homes.

Don

My Finace's dad is a general contractor - similar background to your own. He's also a car guy and hot-rodder. I feel like I hit a home run in the father-in-law department. That said, I try to tackle most of the work myself because 1. He's busy doing it for a living and 2. I like to learn this stuff. That said, he's a great guy to learn from!

I'm sure this thread will take (yet another) detour when it's time to renovate the garage.

Wish I were on their payroll , but not the case. I'm just a tool hoarding maniac and love high quality products that you buy ONCE and actually work like they should . I hate knockoff Chinese or otherwise products that don't work or last . Vessel is one of those rare companies I'll open my wallet for without regret .

For a mower , surf around and find a Grasshopper o Scag that needs work , they aren't cheap but relatively easy to fix - just research the model before buying to learn it's quirks and what models to avoid .

Pm me your address , I've got something you need .

Sarge

Yep! I enjoy projects to this is all fun for me so far...I already got the "rotten egg" smell out of my water heater, replaced all the locks/doorknobs, got the funk out of the jetted tub lines, and all the other minor repairs. Next is getting the water treatment system to stop leaking and start actually treating the water. After that, I'll need to buy a lawnmower - and a big one at that. Holy $hi+ those things are expensive...Especially one capable of mowing 3+ acres in a reasonable timeframe.

Once all that is said and done - it will be on to the garage - getting all the wet insulation out where the pipes burst, and rewiring it for cruiser work.

Just go here http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/, listen to this guy for a few weeks, and plant 1/2 acre of that 3 acres with trees, 1/3 with garden. Then, hire a neighbor kid to do the grass. 3 hours on a riding mower 2x per week ain't gonna be fun. Your time is more valuable than that.

At least buy a used mower. You know how to fix it! ;)

Just go here http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/, listen to this guy for a few weeks, and plant 1/2 acre of that 3 acres with trees, 1/3 with garden. Then, hire a neighbor kid to do the grass. 3 hours on a riding mower 2x per week ain't gonna be fun. Your time is more valuable than that.

At least buy a used mower. You know how to fix it! ;)

Yeah - it seems like most of the neighbors let the back acre or so go wild. I'll probably only end up mowing a little over 2 acres.

I originally had a budget of about $2500 in mind but I quickly came to realize there isn't a tractor on the market (new) in that range that is up to snuff for the property. Everything is on a slight grade, and there's a lot of it - so a low end hydrostatic tranny would burn up quickly. To make matters worse, the new ones are sealed units - "not user serviceable." (I put it in quotes because I would anyway;)).

I've started browsing the used commercial market for a zero turn. Unfortunately even commercial mowers with 2-3000 hours on them are around $4k.

Strongly considering towing my grandfathers 1950's Farmall Cub down from NJ....7-foot side mounted scythe deck would definitely do the trick :hillbilly:.

It has been dead in the barn for 15 years but last I asked it needed tires and carb work...compared to the 40, that's child's play!

If that Cub has the same mower that Dad's Cub did it will be a sickle type mower. There can be a lot of upkeep to one of those, they don't have the simple rotary style cutter blade that only needs occasional sharpening and balancing. They have a similar shearing action to a pair of hair cutting shears. In my experience these sickle bar mowers won't do good enough to provide a clean cut for a lawn. They are good for larger areas where you need to keep the grass from getting too tall and drying into a fire hazard though.

The Cub and sickle bar will work good for the outlying areas, as long as you don't have any very heavily sloped areas. And a smaller rotary style lawn mower just for the lawn around the house would be a good combination of equipment. Then add a weedeater for getting close to objects, such as trees, fences, fence corners, and ditch banks, and you would be all set up.

Here's a Wikipedia site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mower

Here's another site that has some good close-up pics of the sickle, bar, and points. The only thing it doesn't show is a close-up of the opposing edge inside the V of the point, which provides the other half of the shearing action of the cut: http://www.sickleservice.com/resources/faqs/

For me it would be a no brainer to get the Cub as it would be a nostalgia trip for me, since I grew up around one.

I don't know how long your driveway is, but I grew up with one over 600 feet long. To help maintain it Dad used the front cultivator bars, a pair of cultivator shanks with the shovels removed, and a section of used grader blade. One shank was mounted on the left side bar, and the other shank was on the right side bar. They were mounted so they were angled to the direction of the motor/driveline, not 90* square to the driveline. The Cub was too light to move much dirt this way, but as I remember it was good with moving gravel on the driveway as long as you didn't have big potholes to fill.

Here's a Cub front cultivator on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFFICIAL-IH-Farmall-CUB-FRONT-CULTIVATOR-MOUNTS-with-TOOLBARS-/321442182447

Here's a pair of cultivator shanks on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Cul...ernational-Cub-A-B-C-BN-Tractor-/391076416202

Here's a clamp that held the shank to the cultivator bar: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFFICIAL-IH...MP-Cuff-140-130-Super-A-100-Cub-/221700222815

This wasn't an easily adjusted thing, but it was an in-expensive solution to a need.

Good luck with the new property, and I would love to see pics of the Cub if you get it.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom