Tencha HJ-60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After couple of days " using it " I can tell this is not an e-brake .. it could be a regular parking brake, I mean, will keep your Cruiser from rolling in a 10° hill with pretty force on your parking brake .. but if you are going over 15° .. mmmm not so much ..

I would like ( and I will ) to make a longer leverage for cable attachment I believe that way I would be able to apply more force between pad and disc ..

I still needs to measure the force I'm applying right now to the cabin lever ..
So if it were a real emergency would the e-brake stop your truck or will it just hold it once stopped?

ah...crap... i had a ds drum e brake on the patrol, it locked up anything.

I know .. we have plenty patrols here and the e-brake it's plain awesome .. ( same as nissan factory LSD )

So if it were a real emergency would the e-brake stop your truck or will it just hold it once stopped?

naaaaaa stop .. not even from 20mph .. not in my case .. it will " hold " if there is no motion or not a serious incline ..

Sounds like you should just swap an fzj rear axle in.

Sounds like you should just swap an fzj rear axle in.

yeah I know .. just I won't do it and keep my rear spring packs .. so a rear axle swap for an 80 series axle means rear coils ( coilovers or ORIS ) so that means in my schedule like 6 months project ... ( at least .. careful if a year comes doing it with my limited time ).

But I will trust me .. sooner or later ..

Couple of weeks ( weekends ) ago we take a long waited ( by me due to my recent new dad functions ) off road trip in my lovely Panama .. originally we plan other route with more " woods " but end with this route for some reason .. any how was lots of fun and chance to test some new features en Tencha ..

main.php

main.php

first was an mostly on road day .. and second day ( pics are from 2nd day and on ) start pretty dry ...

main.php

rural school in our route ..

main.php

lunch stop ...

main.php

arriving to our camping spot ..

main.php

next morning view ..

main.php

main.php

Tencha did it flawless ... e-brake ( well .. TSM parking brake ) improve performance with use .. still not an trustable e-brake but better parking brake ..

our road up ..

main.php

and down ..

main.php

contour fan mod was working ok .. I mean they are not really a huge improvement over the stock fan in HW terms .. still if I pushed her hard over 2500 rpm will get hot eventually .. I did a small lift on the rear of the hood .. well know mod among Nissan Patrol guys ( TD42 engine ) to help with cooling .. in my case I do not know if that was better or not .. so I will be back to stock and test it again since I never did with the contour fans ..

What they did better .. far better was cooling my engine when slowing down or stop ( idling engine )

main.php

5 stars hotel rear window sunrise view ..

main.php

main.php

moon after sunrise ..

main.php

hotel room .. kinda messy but was pure pleasure to sleep in there ..

main.php

I got at least 20 extra hp from Nitro rear 3rd cap .. :D

main.php

and that's her 27 years later .. still rocking ...

main.php

next day was muddy day with some scary slippery downhills to do .. we were doing without chains before this hill .. but we decide to put 'em on since it didn't worth the risk attempt without it due terrain conditions ..

I did not take many pics or vids .. sorry about that ..

main.php

I got a couple of short vids that I have to edit will do and post next week

main.php

Last edited:
We had to cross wide river in our route .. ( several actually ) but our group was split and 1 part of the group was ahead of us like 30 mins .. they perform this crossing in a growing river .. when we arrive and attempt it .. was just too deep and with too much flow to do it safely .. I initially attempt it, but couple of feet into the river water coming over my hood ( keeping in mind Tencha as it sits now it's pretty tall ) was not a good sign .. this was about 4 PM that day

In my attempt to backup river flow got me for a instant ( while Tencha was catching water inside and therefore sinking and gaining traction .. worth to mention that I did not have any floor caps on her for this exact same reason ) and I miss the river " entrance "

IMG_4938.JPG
IMG_4938.JPG

I did not have any pics of the rescue sequence .. but friends on the other side of the river have 'em ( among the above shot ) but the long story short is I was out in a couple of minutes with no mayor problems that 90% of my stuff inside Tencha totally wet .. in our way back and tracking another route we found another river .. as you can imagine was very deep ..

So we decide not to try .. was almost 6 and getting dark so we decide to look for a decent place to camp that night .. as you can imagine everything was muddy and wet around us and so was inside Tencha too .. Tencha being my hotel ( I do always carry my tent with me tho .. but that was wet too ) well I imagine that wasn't going to be a 5 star hotel night right .. ?

Lucky us we found a happily drunk local .. who for some reason have this empty " house " and he offer it to us.. we decide to take it given the conditions and we didn't expect nothing more than straw thatched house .. but we got zing and cement block walls .. so wasn't that bad for the night ..

group of friends who save my ass from that river and who prove one more time the value friendship ..

main.php

Awesome trip report and super glad Tencha swam without problems. Looking forward to more of the story. Thanks for sharing.

Great trip log, glad no lasting damage or injuries.

Have a short list of " downs " so far .. one of my rear LED bulbs and my turning lights flasher .. other than that bit of cleaning, time, oiling and she's ready.

Recently rebuild t-case was free of water .. tranny and axles not .. already improve front axle breather .. gotta do the rear even better ( place it was inside the rear panel took good amount of water ) and live with the tranny .. there is no option there ..

If you're planning water crossing like that again, only place to run them is to the top of your A pillar

That photo of your truck in the river is crazy! So is that video of the 80 sliding down the muddy road. Panama seems to be
a most interesting place. Enjoy the pics, keep them coming!

Julio .. ( camo 80 behind me ) was recording most of the trail .. hopefully at some point I would be able to show how bad it was .. brakes, compression what ever .. nothing works on that kind of terrain .. only chains help a bit .

And no .. I'm not fan of Cruiser boats.. :D this attempt was necessary ( yeah right that's my personal excuse .. ;) )

What I really need to do it's move those breathers to the air box or snorkel piping ....

Awesome trip report :D

I need to ship my truck down there to go out on one of these expeditions!!

Awesome trip report :D

I need to ship my truck down there to go out on one of these expeditions!!

bring it on . .!

Hey David how about a gear loft in there for the deep crossings? Simple cargo net to the roll cage and done.

Cheers

Honestly I wasn't expecting it to be that deep .. now all my stuff it's on zip bags .. buying water proof cases and will be avoiding those deep rivers from now on .. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom