Temperature sending wire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been hunting under my dash for the temperature sending wire and have had not luck.....I should be near the wiper switch in the loom but I cannot find the yellow/green wire anywhere. I see a few bullet connections I assume for the radio, dash light, cigarette lighter. But I cannot find the temp sender wire.

Now I have located it on gauge cluster plug but can't find where it exits the loom in the fire wall.

Any suggestions?

If I cannot find it I assume I can cut and splice where the wire comes out of of the plug for the cluster but I would hate to be the guy that butchers into a wiring harness.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
barrel connector lay out mirrored.jpg
barrel connector lay out mirrored.jpg

I am pretty sure it comes out of the harness with the wiper switch wires, just a single wire.
So you think it is comes out with the same branch of wires the the wiper does I will take another look

Sweet...!!! Looks like it comes out right at the arm pit of the main loom and the branch that goes to the wipers

Emac thanks for the link .....I put that in my favorites file for sure....!!!!

IMG_0426.jpg
I think I found it Thanks...so much guys....Coolerman thanks for that piece of the puzzle....looks like it goes into a three way with two other black wires and 1 white wire. See picture If you look into the background you will see where it terminates look at the plug in the back ground that is the plug is fried where the white wire inters....this plug needs to routed out to the temp sensor.....but what are the two black wires for?

What year is your 40? I think my 77 is different. Like coolerman said it is just a single wire coming out of the harness. It doesnt have a plug like you are showing. Temp wire is all by itself on my 77. The color is whitegrayish color.

On the link I posted, click on the very large version and zoom in on #33 The single temp wire runs through the firewall and has a single plug on the end.

Unfortunately that is the only Yellow Green wire I can find. It is also possible that this is not a 76 harness though the rest is a 76. I found all the other single/pair wires and they are all Red and black and white and black for the lighter, aux light, dash board light, radio. but no other wires. Not even a sign that a wire had been cut.

Since this is the only yellow green wire it seems the only possibility that I can come up with. At the gauge cluster plug the temp sensor wire is yellow/green.

Any other thoughts guys

I guess you could see if it is hot. If not ground the wire and see if the temp gauge pegs.

I know I mentioned it before, but just in case. #33 in the diagram goes through the firewall (still has the rubber grommet on the wire) and goes to the temp sender unit mounted on the top left rear of the motor.

On my 77 I don't think I have a large green plug like your picture, behind the dash, except the one that goes to the steering column. I cant tell from your picture where that plug is in the harness. What number is the green plug you pictured in the diagram?

in my '80 harness - Temp sending wire still comes out by the wiper switch plug and has a rubber grommet on it. It is probably a 10" wire and mine has a small rubber sleeve over it. After it goes through firewall, there is another 10" piece that plugs in to get to the temp sending unit.

Interesting and yet puzzling guys...I see no other wires that could be the sending wire other than this three way plug......I do know that this is not my original harness as the original was all butchered.....What I do not remember is what year the harness was from as I replaced in 14 years ago.

Coolerman and Gcrump01....thanks for your input on this.....I guess and this point I can test this yellow/green wire and see if it moves the temp gauge. The wire is about 10 inches in length.....the other reason I think this could be it is the 10 inch lead turns to a a white solid wire as Coleman indicates.....it as has a nice burn mark on the plug which leads me to believe it was in the engine bay unplugged and it melted not he headers.

Hope I am right.

Ok its been a while but to follow up i put a meter on that wire and it jumps all over the place...1.?? 4.?? 6.?? 9.00 but in random order....

Check continuity with the connection on the engine side to verify you have the correct wire.

Dyno

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom