Tech Writeup: Headlight Warning Buzzer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to get something done early this week on the truck while I’m waiting for some parts so I decided on this mini project. Wiring in the headlight warning buzzer took about two hours start to finish and was pretty easy. I am pretty bad with electronics so the only way I was able to do this was following Wayne Tangen’s instructions off the Yahoo 3FE group. The instructions are under his files and he has schematics and different directions for the 60 series and the 80 series. I am doing a quick writeup because if you don’t visit the 3FE Yahoo Group then you could’ve missed this easy project that could save your battery.

Here’s the instructions done by Wayne Tangen, they are done well so I will copy and paste them in first before showing my install pics:

“When Ken found the location of the ignition beeper a few days ago, it inspired me to figure out how to wire it in to my lights. I pulled the box out and reverse-engineered it. It turns out that the beeper is shown on page 3-1 of my FJ-62 wiring diagram and is called the "seat belt warning relay"!?! For those interested, here's how you could wire it up so lights left on would make it beep when you open the door:

1. Splice a wire into the fused taillight circuit. Probably the easiest way to do this is to pull the glove box and splice into the green wire for the glove box light. From there it's easy to route your wire alongside the existing wiring harness and down to the beeper box.

2. Cut the unlock warning switch wire. This is the red-white wire going to pin 3 of the beeper box.

3. If you want the beeper to only turn on when the lights have been left on, but not when the key has been left in the ignition, then tie pin 3 of the beeper box to your new wire from step 1. Be sure to insulate the exposed end of the unlock warning switch wire or you might start blowing dome light fuses.

4. If you want the beeper to turn on when the lights have been left on or when the key has been left in the ignition, the process is a bit more involved. Get a couple of general-purpose diodes (I used 1N4004s because I had some lying around) and solder their cathodes (banded ends) together; tie this common diode connection to pin 3 of the beeper box. Solder the anode (non-banded) end of one diode to the red-white wire going to the unlock warning switch, and tie the anode of the other diode to the wire you spliced in during step 1. Insulate all exposed metal and you're done!

I followed steps 1, 2, and 4 and the mods worked as expected. If anyone wants a schematic of the beeper circuit, I'll finish untangling it and post it here.
Wayne Tangen”

For this project you need a wire stripper, a few small zip ties, <4 feet of wire, 2 diodes, screwdriver, and electrical tape. To do it properly you should have a soldering iron and a splice connector but I did it with what I had. I may go back in later and solder them since they are easy to access.
lightbeeper015.jpg

Here’s the two diodes you need that cost 99 cents.
lightbeeper002.jpg

Here’s a picture of the splice connector I used to tap into the green glovebox light wire.
lightbeeper001.jpg

To get to the green glovebox wire you should take out the glovebox. It’s easy to do and requires only a few screws be taken out. You also have to unscrew the spring glove box light button.
lightbeeper019.jpg

lightbeeper018.jpg

Now that you know where to splice the green wire I’ll move on to the seat belt warning relay. It’s located in the passenger kick panel and it looks like this:
lightbeeper010.jpg

Here’s a shot with it next to the wiring and it’s connector.
lightbeeper007.jpg

This pic shows my final install with the two diodes connected up to green glovebox light wire, and the two ends to the red and white wire.
lightbeeper006.jpg

Wayne’s instructions were straight forward and offer two ways to do this so I won’t elaborate unless there are questions. I can take more pictures if anyone is unsure of disassembly or wiring.
-Randy

See my old post in the best mods under $50 it is an easy solution to the problem.

LINK

Dynosoar:zilla:

Nice solution....

But mine only cost $0.99 :flipoff2:

I will say that your method staying away from the stock wiring is probably better way down the road.

Last edited:
But mine only takes 30 seconds to install. So if time=$ yours cost like $1,000,000.:flipoff2:

Dynosoar:zilla:

I married mine. she is great about saying "you left your light on" and anything else I forget to do. Cost a hell of a lot more though

So Good write up but a complicated fix all you have to do is go to radio shack buy a 12v DC buzzer and plug red wire into left head light fuse and black wire into your gauge light fuse Takes about 30 sec. and $3

no bananas someone else did a write up on it and its the best upgrade I have made. :wrench::p
buzzer.jpg

Glad to see there's so many options out there. I guess I shoulda checked before for an easier route.

I stumbled on this old thread and did the mod this past weekend. I used the two diode method so it beeps with keys in the ignition and lights on when the driver's door opens. The only thing I would add to this write up is that I had to splice into the green wire before the glove box light, not after the light at the ground pin like what is pictured. I had to do this to get it to work probably because of the LED glove box light, the voltage after the LED was not enough to trigger beeper. So I popped the glove box light out and spliced into the green wire before it reaches the light. I like this mod better than the buzzer in the fuse box even though it is a little more work - the warning sounds how it would sound if Toyota had done it this way and it doesn't clutter the fuses.

I was going to post this exact question and finally phrased it correctly to find this AWESOME thread. I'm such a happy dude right now!
Thanks everyone ! :)

my beeper would go off with the driver door open with or without the keys in the ignition so I unplugged the thing. Now that I've left my lights on a couple of times I want to tackle this one. How is this supposed to work normally? Door open +key in the ignition + engine off=beeper? There must be a fault at the ignition?

If your key buzzer is going off with or without key, it's the switch (Electrical, not the key tumbler)

The thing in the green circle is for the key buzzer (not on early pre-85 FJ60s). It's depressed when the key is in the tumbler so my guess is it's stuck. Maybe a little switch cleaner/lube (plastic safe) would help.

IgnitionSwitch.jpg

IMG_0241.JPG

I pulled the switch and it is working but there is a fixed bar where the plunger is supposed to go. Judging by the broken mount some gorilla was in here before me. The ignition could have been replaced at some point.

10 years later and the diode is still working :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom