Tech Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, looking for a little info.

No big changes or plans for the 40 this winter, so I have some money burning a hole in my pocket. The two main things I'm looking into are supension seats and beadlocks.

The seats I'm leaning toward the Carabau(sp?) baja ss. These are around $2oo a piece and all vinyl. I will get the wide seats because I haven't shrunk any in the last twenty years.

I'm open for sugestions on the beadlocks. What kind do you run? what size? Your likes and dislikes. I was and still am considering the hummers like Daryl and Joe, but now I'm wondering if it is worth it to spend the extra on 16.5 tires. I've found some used but most are 15x12. Is that too wide? Seems to me that wide would make the inside bead morelikly to pop off on a 12.5 tire.

Just looking for your thoughts and guidance.

You have seen my welds. Wasn't even considered as an option.

I have a set of inflatable beadlocks that I wheeled once or twice before I pulled the truck apart. They're within your skillset to install. I liked how they worked in that they add stiffness to the sidewall of the tire near the bead plus both beads get locked. On sidehills they were less tippy. If you can still get them I recommend inflatable beadlocks.

Nick

Ok, looking for a little info.

No big changes or plans for the 40 this winter, so I have some money burning a hole in my pocket. The two main things I'm looking into are supension seats and beadlocks.

The seats I'm leaning toward the Carabau(sp?) baja ss. These are around $2oo a piece and all vinyl. I will get the wide seats because I haven't shrunk any in the last twenty years.

I'm open for sugestions on the beadlocks. What kind do you run? what size? Your likes and dislikes. I was and still am considering the hummers like Daryl and Joe, but now I'm wondering if it is worth it to spend the extra on 16.5 tires. I've found some used but most are 15x12. Is that too wide? Seems to me that wide would make the inside bead morelikly to pop off on a 12.5 tire.

Just looking for your thoughts and guidance.

I run ruffstuff's DIY beadlocks on 15x8's. Once I got the welds to a mirror finish, they stopped leaking. 39 bolts/wheel on a 15 is toooo many. Dan from ruff stuff is the shiz!!

As for non DIY's, allied rock-a-thons are the best deal I know of. If you want blingy 17x9 aluminum's, trail readies seem to be the best deal.....though their parents give me pause. Or just scour the classified for a good deal.

As for 15x12....yeah, too wide. Ideally you want to be around 8-10" wide.

As for hummer wheels, I'm not a fan. Once you get then recentered, refinished, inserts, and a rock ring to protect that weak ass bead, and the studs....you aren't so cheap, and the rim weighs a TON!!!! Plus you are stuck with 16.5" tires. That market is ever shrinking. You are stuck with Pit bull, Good year, and Interco....but good companies to be stuck with...

Nick mentioned internal beadlocks, these are cool and work well. Staun makes the best set I know of. Drill a hole in your rims for the second valve stem, slide the air bag around the rim, youre good to go.

As for non DIY's, allied rock-a-thons are the best deal I know of. .

This is what I have. They have been pain free. I have re-torqued the bolts several times to find that none of them have moved. (of course the whole rig hasnt hardly moved in a year)
I think it is 32 or 36 bolts per wheel. Plus the price was right, bought them 3 years ago, set of 5, I think I paid $120 each, but steel has gone up a lot in the last 3 years.
I never had my tires/wheels balanced and they roll perfect at 60 mph.
And I do roll on Shabbat!

yours are 17's, right?

Gappy said:
......I dorked out and googled it before I wrote it. :)

LOLZ!!!!!

Sent from this here eyePad.

Thanks for the info. Basicly leaning toward the 15x10(maybe 15x8), in the basic black. No chrome or alum. Bling and me don't blend too well, besides then I'd have to pretty up the rest of the truck around them. Maybe some lime green rock rings just to be annoying to others. Still like that color but the whole truck may be a little much, but maybe not. Maybe some lime green flames to be more like Bill.

" we don't need no water, let the mother fxxxer burn."

:hillbilly:

Oh think of the art work to be done on that canvas at an outing!

Id weld a boner to it, when no one is looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom