Target carrier (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got to the end of this thread... Nice rack, nice wood, nice swine. Looking forward to the outcome of your compressor/engine woes. Your fan research may come in handy for me, thanks for that!

Joel

Finally got to the end of this thread... Nice rack, nice wood, nice swine. Looking forward to the outcome of your compressor/engine woes. Your fan research may come in handy for me, thanks for that!

Joel
Thank you Joel for the kind words, I'm having a great time in the sty hope to see you down here with a 55 project some time soon!

I just ordered the dual temp sender to control the two speed fan, the BMW unit makes it easy to wire the Volvo relay in.

These are the part numbers,
#61318361787--BMW temp switch 180*/195*
#61311378073--BMW temp switch 195*/210*
#61131378412--BMW 90* angle connector
#61130007445--BMW 90* green connector wires 2 required
#61130007446--BMW 90* green/black connector 1 required wire for ground

Thank you Joel for the kind words, I'm having a great time in the sty hope to see you down here with a 55 project some time soon!

I just ordered the dual temp sender to control the two speed fan, the BMW unit makes it easy to wire the Volvo relay in.

These are the part numbers,
#61318361787--BMW temp switch 180*/195*
#61311378073--BMW temp switch 195*/210*
#61131378412--BMW 90* angle connector
#61130007445--BMW 90* green connector wires 2 required
#61130007446--BMW 90* green/black connector 1 required wire for ground

Volvo and BMW parts? This Pig is starting sound very "You're-A-Peein'" ha ha.
Can't wait to see pics of how everything comes together.

still happy with the 4bt?

IMHO: the 4BT is a great engine for a pig and we are having a blast driving this thing around, still getting mid to high 20’s for fuel mileage depending on the right foot, power to spare makes easy driving both on and off road, with just a little preplanning in cab noise and vibrations are manageable.

I’m having some bizarre issues some self-induced and some truly just bad luck with new parts, everything in this engine is new with the exception of the pistons and rings (they were removed but looked new and measured within Cummins spec) and I’m thinking I have a stuck ring creating excessive blow by, I bought some high dollar engine mounts purposely built for the Cummins 4BT and I have already destroyed them with the torque of this engine, my tappet cover gasket has leaked from day one and I have an aftermarket redesigned cover to install but you need to remove the P-pump to get to it that ends up making the oil leak not a priority, my new high dollar hydraulic throwout bearing is leaking and the engine or transmission would need to be removed to get to it also making that leak low priority. None of these issues on their own are preventing me from daily driving but combined they are making a mess of my driveway and it’s going to be much easier to pull the engine and fix them all at once rather than try to tackle then one at a time.

Right now I’m leaning towards tracking down another 4BT and sending the short block out to get the machine work done and balanced then just swapping them out one weekend..

I took the Target Carrier on a little road trip last week down to Johnson Valley CA. about 2000 mile round trip, the original plan was to take the Angry Pig down on a trailer but work and other commitments prevented me from completing the rear-end rebuild so literally the day before I was to leave I fixed a few known issues with the Target Carrier and crossed my fingers. (As it turns out this was a costly decision).

My brother and I set out for our 13 hour drive to King of Hammers on Tuesday morning in the middle of a ridiculous snow storm quickly adding an additional 4 hours to the already long day. As soon as we broke clear of the snow storm the engine starting running 210°/215° on flat ground and 220°/225° on the hills so we pulled over to check the coolant, the coolant level looks good but we used 3 quarts of oil in the first 400 miles of the trip, this was just about the exact moment I thought it might not have been a great idea to drive the pig to king of the hammers. Topped the oil off and headed to Vegas keeping the speeds under 75 MPH to keep the temps in check and not make too much boost in hopes of not pushing all the oil out the blow by tube, by Vegas we added another 5 quarts of oil and coolant level still looked good despite rising engine temps, by the time we hit Johnson Valley 17 hours later and got to camp we had used another 4 quarts of oil.

The race was great and we had a great time helping a buddy pit out in the desert at pit 2A and 2B on Thursday then we ran the pig all around out by back door and chocolate thunder to watch the race on Friday. Four days of camping, drinking beer, checking out some cool cars and driving around watching off road racing is a fantastic way to spend a week, if you ever get a chance to make a KOH you won’t be disappointed.

No update is complete without pig pictures, this is our setup at pit 2A.

pit.jpg

After checking the coolant level mutable times and never having to add more than a couple OZ’s at a time our plan was to get up around 3AM to try to beat the heat heading over the mountain out of Johnson Valley Saturday morning to avoid fighting the high temp issues on the way home. Again keeping the speeds down around 70/75 MPH the temps stayed around 210°/215° and oil consumption stayed about a quart every 150 miles or so (less than ideal but I felt like we would make it home) and that was the exact moment when my brother jinxed us and mention the drive home was going way better than the drive down. Within a mile of that comment we passed a sign saying US93 was closed due to flooding so we pulled into a gas station in Wells NV to find an alternate route and top off the oil. At the exact same time my brother and I looked at each other and said do you smell antifreeze and said why yes I do…. After a minute or two a very large puddle of coolant started pouring from the water pump and the gas station attendant was walking quickly towards us to say we couldn’t keep the leaky pig parked in his lot, he clearly didn’t see the humor in two guys just driving ten hours through the desert with a water pump that was destine to fail at any time celebrating we made it to his lot. After an hour on the phone we found a grocery/hardware/ lumber yard store with a small Napa Auto parts counter in the back corner that just happen to have a Cummins water pump within 2 miles of where we broke down. Luckily we had an ice chest full of beer and thawed ice and were able to top off the radiator and make a mad dash to the grocery/hardware/ lumber yard store and change out the pump in their parking lot.

Back on the road on the alternate route temps are now staying down around 180° but the road is a switchback laden narrow long 25 mile an hour kind of road so at this point we are still keeping our fingers crossed that we’ll make it home without any major hiccups. As soon as the mountain pass opened up we ran the pig up to 85/90 MPH for most of the drive home and temps stayed 180°/190° but running these speeds the boost is up around 25/30 PSI so oil consumption almost doubled.

So the good, we made it home, after spraying seven gallons of oil on the underside of the pig I believe I might have delayed the inevitable rust for another year, the heating issue that I’ve been chasing seems to be water pump related and may be solved.

The bad, I’m pulling the engine out this week to address the blow by and I’m heading into my busy work season so making the pig party might get sketchy if it’s major, Angry Pig is going to get put on the back burner again and if the blow by issue gets resolved I’m going to have to look into a rust proofing alternative.

Last edited:
That's a bummer man, but it sounds like a memorable trip!! I'm interested to hear what the diagnosis is.

If you have to do a full tear down, I would consider balancing the rotating assembly to make it a smoother running engine. When I have to tear down I think I'm going to go that route.

If you have to do a full tear down, I would consider balancing the rotating assembly to make it a smoother running engine. When I have to tear down I think I'm going to go that route.

Full tear down is in the works as is balance the rotating assembly, I’ve been keeping my eyes open for another 4BT knowing this was coming with the intent of building another short block and changing them out on a weekend when time permitted but finding 4BT’s in my area has proven to be a challenge. Depending on the amount of over bore this block currently has and what it needs I’m hopeful we can save it and I’m not trying to next day air Cummins engines from the east coast.

Here's hoping the best. That was quite a bit of oil.

Yeah, I would not want to be that car! A lot of extra work, but sure hope you make the Pig Party. Good luck with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom