Target carrier (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I shoot long range and I needed a way to carry my targets out to the desert so I picked up a FJ-55, after I started to work on it my wife and I thought if might be fun to make it into an expedition vehicle of sorts and travel around the United States checking out ghost towns and monuments in our retirement years.

Photo from the Craigs list ad
fj_zps30c63eb7.jpeg

I couple days later.
IMG_20131001_124024_057_zpscd66f68b.jpg

IMG_20131008_205524_793_zps6c1371ed.jpg

I built a fifty gallon fuel tank.
IMG_20131014_132133_221_zps619e106a.jpg

Wiring nightmare.
IMG_20131013_182319_375_zps8b37c741.jpg

New temporary dash, I'll make a new one when the AC gets here.
IMG_20131022_160057_714_zpsac89179b.jpg

Driving it for now trying to work out the bugs.
IMG_20131022_153205_802_zps46ab418d.jpg

While I get all the parts to put this in.
IMG_20131031_194736_336_zpsc5a63105.jpg

A friend and I reupholstered the seats and I’ll need to dig up some photos.

Last edited:
That's a good-looking dash...and tank

Very nice dash, would you mind telling us what you made it out of. I've been kicking around different dash ideas and really like yours.

Very nice dash, would you mind telling us what you made it out of. I've been kicking around different dash ideas and really like yours.

The dash is 1/4" KYDEX and I formed it on a wooden buck to give it the 3/4 round on the bottom.
This was just an experiment to see if I was going to like the flat dash, I'll try to take pictures of the process when I make the new one.

The dash is 1/4" KYDEX and I formed it on a wooden buck to give it the 3/4 round on the bottom.
This was just an experiment to see if I was going to like the flat dash, I'll try to take pictures of the process when I make the new one.

Thanks, it didn't look like metal. I'd like to see how you did the forming.

And the 4BT, when's that going in, got a few guys running them here. Someday my M37 will get one.

I am jealous, big gas tank, oh how I need one. Turbo diesel yes please

Thanks, it didn't look like metal. I'd like to see how you did the forming.

And the 4BT, when's that going in, got a few guys running them here. Someday my M37 will get one.

If I don’t CNC my next dash out of aluminum I'll just make another one out of KYDEX and I will take pictures to show the forming or I'll just send you this dash to use as a template. One way or another I’m willing to help if you want a flat dash.

I’m working on the Cummins every day but only making progress some days if you know what I mean. The plan is to have it with the new trans and transfer case ready in the next 30 to 60 days.

Thanks for all the complements guys, I’ve been reading the forum most every night trying to gain as much knowledge as I can from you guys and thought I would post up a few pictures of my progress.
I’m in the Boise Idaho area.

Welcome to the sty. Give me a shout if you need an extra pair of hands - I'm in Boise too. Be happy to help. Great group of guys and gals here, a unbelievable amount of experience, knowledge, and support. Have fun - Swine flu can't be cured - but it can be enjoyed!

Great looking pig and you've got a great start on an fantastic vehicle.

Helper is really a cutie!

;)

J Mack,

I sure wouldn't mind tagging along when you make a new dash. I like the look of the material and maybe I can learn something.

J Mack,

Question about the A/C, have you decided on a brand yet. I just ordered the Old Air Hurricane 2000, seems to be a good one and looks almost stock.

J Mack,

Question about the A/C, have you decided on a brand yet. I just ordered the Old Air Hurricane 2000, seems to be a good one and looks almost stock.

I went with the Restomod kit.
I called the guys at Old Air and Restomod and the feeling I got from the Old Air guys was that their unit was too small for the inside of a pig, the Restomod unit is a bit larger but still I had to use their smaller unit. The guys at restomod said their small unit would work in vehicles up to about the volume of or cabs and it’s just about the same size of the factory heater. 7 1/8" wide X 9 1/2" high X 20" long.
We’ll see how it all shakes out and compare notes at the end of summer but either way they are both better than Vintage Air.

System Link: http://www.restomodair.com/shopproducts/vapir-ii-custom-air-conditioning-system/

Control Link: http://www.restomodair.com/synister/

That is some neat stuff. I didn't know they existed, but I didn't see any heater options. I removed my stock heater and will rely on the Old Air for both. What are you doing for heat?

The system I linked is both a heater and A/C

I like some of the unique features of the restomod kits like infinite speed blower control, muli-mount system which allows to keep a perfectly smoothed firewall, separate A/C and heat coils, Dehumidified defrost.
I forgot the tech’s name I talked to about calculating the CFM’s needed to heat and cool our cabs but the sales guy also appeared to be very knowledgeable and save me some money using both of their catalogs to get me the best deal on the parts I needed.

Give him a call and I’m sure he can get you the information you need.
His name is Steve,
817-442-4822 EXT 8024

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom