Tailgate Storage Lid 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Received the Seadek 5mm samples. I think 10mm would be doable but 5mm is a little thin. Having said that the 5mm Seadek is a little more knee friendly than my OEM carpet tailgate panel.

But I would need something more durable as I can easily scuff the sample material with my fingernails. Can't imagine the same material holding up to marine/boat decks as they advertise.

Andrea said I (she) should just make a carpet overlay. Edge bind everything and call it good. It would look OE with the exception of the doors and latches. I think she wants a binding attachment for her sewing machine... HA!

J

Got the mock ups today. They need two small adjustments and they will be ready to run.

J

IMG_20160928_122013177.jpg
IMG_20160928_133632218.jpg

They look great. I'm still pondering like many of you what I will cover or coat them with. Also thinking about what to cover/coat the inside of the tailgate with. Going to be very interested to see and hear what folks do.

On a side note, this is going to be the first time for me cutting into any vehicle's sheet metal, so I'm curious if we can get a template to use and suggestions on what tools, taping off, etc.?

Thanks,
Brandon

They look great. I'm still pondering like many of you what I will cover or coat them with. Also thinking about what to cover/coat the inside of the tailgate with. Going to be very interested to see and hear what folks do.

On a side note, this is going to be the first time for me cutting into any vehicle's sheet metal, so I'm curious if we can get a template to use and suggestions on what tools, taping off, etc.?

Thanks,
Brandon

Template= cut four straight lines. I'll send pics and instructions.

Tools:

jigsaw or 4"/4.5", etc... grinder with a cutoff wheel (my choice)
masking tape (if desired)
small Cresent wrench or open end wrenches to fit nylok nuts (allen keys supplied)
anti-seize supplied

J

Just got off the phone with the laser cutter night foreman. The second run samples are ready. I will take all previous samples with me tomorrow to Salt Lake instead of coming back to install. If its all good they will be finally ordered and I will have a firm lead time.

Thanks for the extra patience on these guys.

Jason

I've had a couple of questions come up in the past couple of days... Here are my answers to these questions...

1) Gas struts will not be installed. People are welcome to add these themselves, if they are so inclined.

#2) 6061 material was chosen because it is has a harder Brinell rating than 5052, but is softer, yet cheaper than the 7075, that I originally wanted to go with. It was a stronger but more price suitable material. Happy medium, if you will.... plus is much more scratch resistant than a softer grade. If you guys use your rig like I do. I want a surface that will stand the test of time from rugged use.

#3) Why 1/4" vs 3/16"... I can take a piece of 3/16" x 10" x 3' long and it deflects quite a bit when I twist it by hand. The longer the piece the easier to twist of course. The same size 1/4" piece still deflects, but it is about a quarter of the range. Overall just a much stronger piece of material. I've loaded one of my dual doors up with over 300#s with no issues.

Thanks,

J

Last edited:
These look great! Is it too late to get dibs on this run? When is the next run?!?

Any updates?

This looks like a good product to use Plasti-Dip. You can get almost any color, it's rubberized so things won't bang around and it's durable.

Awesome thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom