Tail light converter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I couldn't find a model number on it so I'll include some photos. I has been a tank.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
IMG_0360.jpg
IMG_0362.jpg
IMG_0364.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I picked one up yesterday and will install/test soon.

Inside wiring

OK. I'm no electrical wiz and I'm red/green color blind to boot. I'd like to wire my trailer harness inside and run the cable out the bottom of the tail gate when needed. I believe I've found the place to do it; behind the rear washer reservoir. I'm looking for confirmation from anyone who has done it. The wires held in my finger tips look like they go to the DS tail light assembly, they come out of the bundle from the lower blue connector. The rest of the bundle from the blue connector runs across/under the vehicle to the PS. Am I on the right track? I'm planning on using the Uhaul adapter shown in cruiser7773's post above.

Thanks
Jim
PICT2114.jpg

Last edited:
4) 5 amp diodes will do the trick . that is all that is in the converter boxes ......

Last edited:
I'd be interested in a diodes only schematic.

Simple and sweet diagram for diodes that will prevent back feeding the brake and signal circuits.
DIODE JPEG.jpg

the only issue with this is ... when the brake lights are on the signals will not work on the trailer... Minor issue...

That's a pretty big issue IMHO.

But it is a clean diagram :)

That is the sort of thing that I had run into when trying to do it with only diodes. I was hoping that you'd figured it out. :(

That is the sort of thing that I had run into when trying to do it with only diodes. I was hoping that you'd figured it out. :(
back to the drawing board .. I ll need to experiment w/ some gated diodes...I just need to find some at work...

I'm thinking that it's going to take a pair of transistors or a MOSFETs, or something like that. I know just enough about electronics to be really dangerous without knowing enough to actually make things work.

I'm thinking that it's going to take a pair of transistors or a MOSFETs, or something like that. I know just enough about electronics to be really dangerous without knowing enough to actually make things work.

I found an old drawing and will post soon .. need to transcribe in paint brush , It is a fairly complex circuit and negates the cheap home grown solution ...

I think I'll have 2 plugs by the hitch ...A 5 wire for my trailer (with seperate brake and turn lights) .. and a 4 wire , wired with the diodes for towing other trailers (with common brake and signal lights) knowing the signals will by over rided by the brakes.. at least it will get you down the road fairly legal and I do not tow other trailers very often...a compromise

I think that it took me more time to figure out the relay circuit and order the parts than it did to build the whole thing. I bought enough for two of them and I need to build the other for my X-cab soon so that I can move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom