Synthetic Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=1585;start=msg100739#msg100739 date=1076123802]

I think it's safe to say that despite you seeing dino engines looking good at high mileage, the synthetic oils will reduce wear and have other benefits. Period. Yes there are well cared for dino engines, but that does not in any way support that synthetic has no benefits. These two points are unrelated statistically. I know that's not what you're saying, but I wanted to clarify.

Cary, great stuff on viscosity. What Mobil 1 viscosity do you recommend for a +20 to +40 degree winter, and +60 to + 90 degree summer climate? We tow heavily in the summer, with passes, etc. It has had Mobil 1 since the first oil change. Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

I should pull out a recent article from BMW CCA Golden Gate Chapter, where the chief chemist in a 3 hour product demonstration flat out stated that under normal conditions where oil is changed regularly, it is questionable if there is any increase in engine life by using synthetic. Advantages of synthetic are cold start, longer change intervals, and protection at the margin.

Synthetics may increase engine life (not newer motors are getting much more demanding on oil and many REQUIRE synthetic because of their longer change intervals and need for high hths oils with moderate weights) but for most properly maintained motors, at what point? A LC motor with mineral oil changed every 5000 miles will go 300,000+ miles, so will the Synthetic stretch that to 350,000 miles? Does it matter? My only thought is that perhaps the synthetic will keep the motor running better longer through less wear. For examply my Nissan Pathfinder has 185k and starts and runs like a champ. Is this from the lower wear by Mobil 1 or that I am anal about all maintence? I don't know, and I am sticking with Synth.

Doug, I would recommend that you use Mobil 1 0w-40 or 5w-40. A cheaper alternative would be Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 from Walmart for $12.98 a gallon. If you want to use mineral, use Chevron Supreme 10w-30 in the winter and Chevron Delo 15w-40 in the Summer. Use the mineral for 4000-5000 and the Synthetic for 5000-7500 miles.

Cary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom