Synchro issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

My H155 5-speed really doesn't like to go into 1st unless I'm at a dead stop or double de-clutch under 5km/hr. A friend says I've got a bad synchro, and that the only solution is to rebuild the transmission. Is that so? Otherwise the truck runs/shifts/drives beautifully.

Thanks.

If you mean that it grinds on down shifting, then yes, it is probably a bad / worn synchro brake ring. I don't know about the 155, but on other Toyota gear boxes, the synchro ring is built in to the first gear assembly and replacing it requires replacing the gear which is more expensive.

Common problem, but the diesel will lug you away from a slow second gear speed anyway. You may get different result from different oils. If it bothers you that much then try a basic mineral oil, if it improves then so be it. If not then yes a box out and rebuild is on the way, the synchromesh failure tends to go.

3 - 2
2 - 1
2 - 3

Wait till it is a pain and then pull and rebuild, if you can track down a 97 - 98 box they had the best synchro's.

regards

Dave

Thanks. It's definitely not enough of a PITA to rebuild. I'll just consider it a quirk and keep on stopping at stop signs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom