Symptoms of a bad catalytic converter fj62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are the symptoms of a bad catalytic converter on an FJ62?
I've heard it's rare they go bad on a 62 but I suspect that is my issue.

I have a very loud rattle when I give it gas. Happens in Park or Drive.

The rattle is getting progressively louder and I've inspected underneath, tightened everything I could to make sure nothing is lose, and I can't spot any holes in the exhaust anywhere. The sound is coming from the catalytic converter or just below it on the pipe running to the exhaust.

Is that a bad CAT?

Is my best option getting the CA Cat and spending the money to make sure I pass it or buy the non CA one for much less and just hope it passes next time around?

Loss of power from increased back pressure, fart/rotten egg/sulfur smell sometimes too. It can be a chunk broke off on the inside but I'd check to be sure the shielding around the cat isn't lose first.

@Jcarr210 I read a couple threads on the heat shield and when I go under with the truck off and bang around on the Cat and around it the heat sheilds seems pretty solid. If i move just past the Cat to the back and bang on the pipes a bit I can kind of replicate the rattle but no where near as intense as when its running and I give it gas.

When its running the sound definitely seems to come from the Cat but the shields seem stable to me at least from the outside. Anyway I should be inspecting these further?

The other thing I notice is if that I keep traveling down the exhaust before the muffler the pipe goes over a bracket with a Rubber buffer and it looks like this may suppose to be bolted down and mine seems to be free floating above it. Is this suppose to be bolted solid? If so I can probably get that welded or bolted down but I don't really think that's the issue just because the rattle seems to be coming from the Cat but it's a possibility.

I just went through this and my cat made the exact noises you are describing. A new cat and all was good.

Yeah @Meatdawg after getting back underneath and knocking around a bit more I'm convinced it's the CAT on the inner side. Do you know what one you ordered? I'm in CA so it sounds like I need to get the expensive CAT if i want to pass smog but I am having trouble understanding which part it is.

MagnaFlow Exhaust Universal California Catalytic Converter
39004, 39005 or 39006?

If any mudders know the best option for a CAT for an FJ62 in CA please chime in.

Last edited:
I will try to find my receipt when I get home. Not sure if I still have it but I will look. I want to say it was a universal CAT.

I'm sure the real answer is there's something wrong if you actually have anything inside of the cat housing. :D
Joking......maybe

Problem solved.... new CAT. Kinda wish I gutted it though. Would have loved to see the difference it makes. Guess next time I will pick a less reputable shop. They didn't like my suggestion to just empty it out. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom