Suspension Torque Specs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
fj40.1978.home.comcast.net
I'm preparing to install my Skyjacker lift on my '78 FJ40, but, to my dismay, the Body & Chassis manual doesn't seem to have torque specs for anything related to the shocks, leaf spring pins, U-bolts, or shackles.

So, here are the questions...

What are the torque specs for all of the above?
And, for future reference, where are these located?

shock are located on the front and rear axles, they are usually white in color with a chrome rod. Leaf spring pins go thru the center of your leaf packs...shackles are located at the non-fixed mount of your leaf springs...u-bolts are what hold your leaf packs to the axle...

yeah yeah...always the smartie...

u-bolts - 80-100 ft-lbs...and check them each week for 2-3 weeks to ensure they stay tight (80 is factory I think, I go 100)

Shackles: I use nylocks and just get them snug....you want them free enough to not inhibit travel but snug enuf to not lose lateral control. Stock shackle have built-in stops by design, aftermarket do not.

spring center pins - not sure there is a spec, I just crank them tight and double nut them....

Shocks...again, they have a built-in stop because of the outer washer size. I usually nylock these and keep them a bit looser as well, since tight bushings can slightly inhibit travel

U bolts as Brian suggests, 105 ft/ibs is current spec (1990+ J7X)
spring pins 90 ft/lbs (late FJ40-J7X with 18mm pins)
small bolts 17 ft/lbs
shock 47 ft/lbs
shackles 67 ft-lbs (late FJ40-J7X)

although I really like the earlier manuals, I have the 1990 + RM183E J7 manual which covers everything from FF-H55-R15X-Disk brakes, DB FF, winches, 3F-R-HZ-PZ-KZ types (not engine) etc and for about $75 US. It's 2 1/4" thick and has all specs one would need w/ exception of steering boxes for 40 (60 is same as 70 basically) and the trim for 60 series.

I got mine mailed from ENS- talk to Mark Koback in parts. 3

ENS
306 653-5252

E-1970 manual has U bolts 50-70ft/lbs (low for nowdays)
shackle etc 20-30
nothing on shock.

1970-1974 manual
U bolts 50-70
shackle 36-58
nothing on shock

1976 manual (98154) does not have specs

Thanks for the replies everyone!!

Given a break from our recent cold-snap here in Denver (mid-50-'s today), I spent about 6 hours (including clean-up & a couple breaks to talk with curious neighbors) installing the 4" Skyjacker lift for the rear axle. Along with the lift, I also threw on new poly bushings, greasable leaf spring pins, tri-shackles, and extreme U-bolt skid plates.

I must honestly say that I am so veeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrryyyyyyy glad that I had been hosing all the nuts & bolts with WD-40 every couple of days for the past two weeks. That in itself made this job sooooooo much easier. Hell, the nuts on the U-bolts were the only thing that I had to use a breaker bar on, and they succumbed pretty easily to some coaxing with my extended Craftsman 1/2" breaker bar.

Should have a friend helping me out with the front axle tomorrow...so that should go even quicker. I'll throw up measurements (pre- & post-lift) & some completed photos once I get the rest of the lift & the new 33's installed.

Semper Fi,
Lyle
http://home.attbi.com/~fj40.1978

Super bump love this. Hahaha
is Woody still around I haven’t been on mud that much Lately. Woody used to post tons of stuff and Poser too.

shock are located on the front and rear axles, they are usually white in color with a chrome rod. Leaf spring pins go thru the center of your leaf packs...shackles are located at the non-fixed mount of your leaf springs...u-bolts are what hold your leaf packs to the axle...

yeah yeah...always the smartie...

u-bolts - 80-100 ft-lbs...and check them each week for 2-3 weeks to ensure they stay tight (80 is factory I think, I go 100)

Shackles: I use nylocks and just get them snug....you want them free enough to not inhibit travel but snug enuf to not lose lateral control. Stock shackle have built-in stops by design, aftermarket do not.

spring center pins - not sure there is a spec, I just crank them tight and double nut them....

Shocks...again, they have a built-in stop because of the outer washer size. I usually nylock these and keep them a bit looser as well, since tight bushings can slightly inhibit travel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom