1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspension Torque Specs

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Halo3, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Halo3

Halo3

I'm preparing to install my Skyjacker lift on my '78 FJ40, but, to my dismay, the Body & Chassis manual doesn't seem to have torque specs for anything related to the shocks, leaf spring pins, U-bolts, or shackles.

So, here are the questions...

What are the torque specs for all of the above?
    And, for future reference, where are these located?

2. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    shock are located on the front and rear axles, they are usually white in color with a chrome rod. Leaf spring pins go thru the center of your leaf packs...shackles are located at the non-fixed mount of your leaf springs...u-bolts are what hold your leaf packs to the axle...

yeah yeah...always the smartie...

u-bolts - 80-100 ft-lbs...and check them each week for 2-3 weeks to ensure they stay tight (80 is factory I think, I go 100)

Shackles: I use nylocks and just get them snug....you want them free enough to not inhibit travel but snug enuf to not lose lateral control. Stock shackle have built-in stops by design, aftermarket do not.

spring center pins - not sure there is a spec, I just crank them tight and double nut them....

Shocks...again, they have a built-in stop because of the outer washer size. I usually nylock these and keep them a bit looser as well, since tight bushings can slightly inhibit travel

3. rick_d

rick_d

U bolts as Brian suggests, 105 ft/ibs is current spec (1990+ J7X)
    spring pins 90 ft/lbs (late FJ40-J7X with 18mm pins)
    small bolts 17 ft/lbs
    shock 47 ft/lbs
    shackles 67 ft-lbs (late FJ40-J7X)

although I really like the earlier manuals, I have the 1990 + RM183E J7 manual which covers everything from FF-H55-R15X-Disk brakes, DB FF, winches, 3F-R-HZ-PZ-KZ types (not engine) etc and for about $75 US. It's 2 1/4" thick and has all specs one would need w/ exception of steering boxes for 40 (60 is same as 70 basically) and the trim for 60 series.

I got mine mailed from ENS- talk to Mark Koback in parts. 3

4. rick_d

rick_d

ENS
    306 653-5252

E-1970 manual has U bolts 50-70ft/lbs (low for nowdays)
    shackle etc 20-30
    nothing on shock.

1970-1974 manual
    U bolts 50-70
    shackle 36-58
    nothing on shock

1976 manual (98154) does not have specs

5. Halo3

Halo3

Thanks for the replies everyone!!

Given a break from our recent cold-snap here in Denver (mid-50-'s today), I spent about 6 hours (including clean-up & a couple breaks to talk with curious neighbors) installing the 4" Skyjacker lift for the rear axle. Along with the lift, I also threw on new poly bushings, greasable leaf spring pins, tri-shackles, and extreme U-bolt skid plates.

I must honestly say that I am so veeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrryyyyyyy glad that I had been hosing all the nuts & bolts with WD-40 every couple of days for the past two weeks. That in itself made this job sooooooo much easier. Hell, the nuts on the U-bolts were the only thing that I had to use a breaker bar on, and they succumbed pretty easily to some coaxing with my extended Craftsman 1/2" breaker bar.

Should have a friend helping me out with the front axle tomorrow...so that should go even quicker. I'll throw up measurements (pre- & post-lift) & some completed photos once I get the rest of the lift & the new 33's installed.

Semper Fi,
    Lyle
    http://home.attbi.com/~fj40.1978