Suggestions for long trip with a new (used) LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Re: Suggestions for long trip with a new (used) LC

1. Should I keep the electric fuel pump and just add a regulator and put a block where the mechanical one went or replace the mechanical one? If so, what should be done to the return gas line? Any recommended regulators, or maybe even electric fuel pumps with a return? (I don't plan on fording anything that high as this will be more of a daily driver than anything.)
I've been running a Napa $40 electric on my 40 for 6 months now. The stock Aisin Carb already has a built in reg with overflow pipe. Take manual pump out of the circuit, keep overflow, and replace old fuel filter with a Fram clear one-makes fuel issues easier to diagnose. I doubt your hot-starting problem is fuel pump related-I agree with Jman about the carb cooler fan. Not sure about the slow speed bogging though.

Glad everything turned out generally uneventful. I pretty much don't have any additional suggestions for the problems/questions that you asked that was not already addressed by Jman. I was curious if that tool outlet in NC was worth the visit and what items are priced nicely over there.thanks for the review.

It was the Harbor Freight outlet store right at the border of North and South Carolina (very visible from 95...it's 100k+ square feet of warehouse with the store in front):

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf?f=detail&Retail_Store_ID=7403

Lots to keep us guys (and gals too) busy there: from auto to home and shop tools and equipment, they carry lots (some of it...well, isn't exactly Craftsman, but for some things that matters less than others I reckon). Not only did I pick some nice tools that I'll use fairly often but also some ones I won't use so often but had a 'need' for, yet wouldn't buy because the price wasn't worth it to me.

I picked up a nice claw fiberglass hammer for $2.50, a few pry bars for about the same, a mechanics fender cover for $4.00, a llasar level for $10.00, and ahem, a few other things too <G>
Heck, I even picked one of those nice park benches that you put out in your garden or in front of your door for $39, when normally I've seen them everywhere else for $70.

Of course for the same reasons, it's a dangerous place too:)

Cruc

They got some decent stuff at harbor freight cos my father gets stuff from there. Thanks for the review, gotta make it a stop in the NC and SC next time. Never figured it was there.

"4. If it's blue, that rotary switch is supposed to bump up the engine idle when the AC compressor turns on. How'd you find it so quickly? Took me ages. "

Actually, I don't think this is exactly right...though it's right on track. What the dial adjusts is if the a/c is on or off at a particular rpm. You are supposed to set it at your idle speed (if you idle at 650, it still holds, but if you drop below, to keep the truck from stalling, it shuts the a/c off.

Mine was weird, and an a/c shop diagnosed it as a problem, as well as the expansion valve. Have it checked out though. You may just need freon. If it's the expansion valve, let a shop do it - it's a pain. I replaced mine, and after putting it back together, it's got a leak, and I have to tear it all apart again, replace all of the o-rings, etc...it would have been worth it to pay someone else to do it...tight spaces...

Wish I'd seen your post earlier. I made a similar trip from Fort Worth up to Roanoke (VA) but made it as far as Roanoke. Problems galore, but the big thing was, the smog pump locked up in Memphis...got to spend a week there, waiting for it to get replaced. No fun...

And, if you're having a flooding problem, check that fuel pump, if that doesn't fix it, check the charcoal canister...I have issues with my truck all the time, and it always comes back around to that damn thing...at least, that's what I figure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom