1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuiped SOA question

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Mavric1298, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Mavric1298

Mavric1298

Ok, so i have asked a million questions about this, but one more should do it. I was told that i could keep the pinion parallel to the xfer output shaft, thus removing the need for CV joints (just need longer driveshafts). If i did this, i wouldnt have to rotate the knuckles, because the axle would stay in the same position....it this correct?!?!?

-85 fj60

2. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
  3. Medusa

Medusa

Yes, your understanding on this is correct. But, you should also try to determine (before you weld everything up) if the pinion u-joint is likely to bind at full extension.

4. Mavric1298

Mavric1298

15 degrees is the normal limit for a regular driveshaft, anything above should be CV....is this right, or does someone have another magic #?

5. Medusa

Medusa

I don't like to rely on numbers becuase different u-joint cages can bind differently. Put the suspension together and see if it is going to bind. And if it is likely to bind a CV alone will not fix the problem. If th elower u-joint will bind with the pinion relatively flat, you will have to rotate the pinion up, and run a CV and cut and turn your knuckles.

6. woody

Media:
    check with http://www.highangledriveline.com as well and call Jesse...he will explain whatever you need, customer or not. Great guy, did my rear shaft. Tom Woods did my front, also a great product.

7. Mavric1298

Mavric1298

so should i tack the perchs on, mess around and see if it binds and if it does then go ahead and rotate knuckles and change to CV's?

8. woody

Media:
    first question....are you doing a shackle reversal in front?

If NOT, then you should be able to run perches parallel and not need CV shafts.

If YES, then front should get the cut-turn. IMO, since it's not powered except when in low-lock, it's optional there too...mine is not, but I'm VERY careful to unlock/hit 2wd when at any speed to minimize vibration and wear.

Rear is optional always, depends on length. 24+", no CV, run parallel, under 24" you might consider it.

9. Mavric1298

Mavric1298

Nope, no shackle reversal.........but it is a 60, which should help me out since its a little longer then a 40 in front (right?!? or is just the back longer)

10. woody

Media:
    Rear you should set up the pinions to be parralel and no need a CV shaft.

Front, it depends....I've run a front Tom Woods shaft for 5 years with no complints. NO CV either, but the splines are wearing after 5 years. Considering the abuse I put it thru, I have no complaints.

11. Medusa

Medusa

Regardless of the whellbase, my understanding is that the front driveshaft on a sixty is shorter than a 40. Consequently, whereas you can get by without rotating on a 40 (if no shackle reversal), it is not so clear you can do it on a sixty. That is why I recommended tacking everything in place and testing it at full passenger's side drop.

12. Mavric1298

Mavric1298

Thanx for all the input!

13. bernefj60

bernefj60

14. woody

Media:
    Mav, you better be taking lotsa pics during this project!!

15. Mavric1298

Mavric1298

Dont worry, full write up on the way, that is when i get around to the SOA