Stuck in snow in new cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So finally got take the new cruiser for a ride,,,and well it does't matter how nice your tires are, or how good your rig is running if you bury it in the snow you will be stuck.. The majority of the 30 miles was no problem breaking drifts up to the bumper, and haveing a good time at about the 30 mile mark the road disappeared I slowed down and sank into the snow, shiffted to low and backed up no problem. on my way back to what looked like a not so deep spot the right rear got sucked off the road, i almost got back out but soon new i was stuck. No worries though snow is easy to shovel,,,if you have a shovel :doh:. Mine just happend to be in the garge. along with my chains and all the other stuff that spent the last 4 years in the 60. To make a long story short no amoun of kicking and hand shoveling was going to free the stuck beast. I hicked to the top of a wind wept mountain to get cell coverage just long enough to call a friend. 4 hours later a full size chevy on 40" trxus sts came to my rescue. Two quick tugs and I was free. Sorry the picture sucks but camera phone was all I had. I can only wonder if chains would have helped what about a rear locker?? I think 37" would have been the only thing to save me that and going left when I went right.
0309091849a.jpg

:bounce:it happens! a shovel & a locker probably would have had you unstuck!! :beer:

The "going left instead of right" would've solved most of the getting stuck problems I've ever had. "Not going at all" would've solved the rest in hindsight. But what fun is that? :D

The kids took my shovel out of my truck to dig a snow fort and just about screwed me this winter. You got lucky too by the sound of it.

We're in a helluva blizzard right now. Everything's closed including the interstates and all the main roads. Rare even for us. I may even have a hard time getting out of my driveway for the first time this winter.

Getting a strong urge for a pop from the store. Must.....not....go.....outside......
:steer:
P1012211.JPG
P1012212.JPG
0310091806.jpg

Last edited:
IH8 SNOW! I have been stuck at least 3 times this year. Once it gets deep it is like having your whole vehicles high centered. You can stick it in low, lock it all around and get out to observe the wheels all spinning freely. In that regard it is kind of cool

Chains would probably help when not too deep but getting under with a shovel is about the only sure way.

Glad to see it wasn't a unique problem with BFG ATs even if mine do suck in snow and ice.

VFRMAN,

You a pilot?

Also, I hate to tell you this but more snow is blowing your way.

Nope, unless my old VFR750, or my CBR count? :)

Still use the screen name for everything.

Yeah, we're getting pounded right now. You must have got it up north too didn't you?

(Sorry for the hijack Whttail. :)

Reminds me of the 3 winters I spent in Wyoming. Damn that was a dismal place in the dead of winter with the wind blowing the snow everywhere at 60MPH.

attachment.php

-B-

yeah, but no cock roaches, termites, or poisonous things ready to bite.

And it weeds out the riff raff.

In defense of our lovely winter climate, it's only blowing up to 40 or so so far. Wait til dark for the real good stuff.:cheers:

Been there many times:doh:. Been there with lockers, and without. The usual problem is that the snow packs up under the undercarriage and holds the tires off the ground. Sometimes getting a hi-lift and building a road under the tires is easiest, other times digging out the snow. Bigger tires will let you get farther in deep snow, but I just push it farther. It's always about finding the limits, right? We got 5 feet of snow a few winters back and I made it with snow coming up over the hood with just 2 tires chained. But you get into the snow that's thawed and refrozen and it can be hard to shovel, but the tires make it through just fine to get you stuck.

I have never aired down for snow( does it really help), By the time I was stuck it was too late to try. As I said before I was just driving as I pleased not even in low then just like that stuck sitting on entire undercarrage about 8 inches of crust with fairly dense snow unerthat. Hard to tell in picture but right rear is almost fully dropped and spinning freely left front was doing the same. I must say the power of the 80 compared to the 60 is night and day. I might as well have a 500hp v8 thats what it feels like. The shovel would have defiinatly got me out, and the way the front was sitting possiby chains might have saved the day. I might be strange but I love it when my driveway gets snowed in and I have to fire up the snowblower just to get the wifes jetta out of the garage..

VFRMAN- when it gets like that we like to pull out the snowboard or sled and pull the kids (or me on snowboard) behind the Cruiser. Just like winter wakeboarding. I like to call it COLD FUSION. Wow, I just missed winters like that, got stationed in New Mexico instead of Minot:D Now I live at 7000 ft in AZ and enjoy plenteous dumps of snow followed by even more sunshine. We still have a foot of snow on the north side of our house that outlasted the 72 degrees of weekend weather.

The kids love to pull each other behind their little snowmobile. Little s**ts have been outside all day whooping it up. If I told them to go shovel on a day like this they'd probably cry child abuse. :)

Howdy! I was in Cheyenne for 9 years. The Wonderful Wyoming Wind would pile snow clear over the eves on the houses and leave other areas bare. I had a lot of fun in my 40 on 35's with a set of semi-truck chains. I spent a lot of time on the skinny pedal, blasting thru the drifts with my V8 WOT!! Ya just had to keep the faith that there were no small cars parked in the drifts. There is really only one rule for driving in snow: The Bigger and Badder your Rig is, the Worser it WILL get Stuck!! Just keep practicing the snow driving, and you will eventually learn what NOT to do. John

You need to air down your tires when you snow wheel...start at 12 psi, if still digging down to much then drop them down under 10psi...it will stay on top...wont need to use cell phone.

Here's mine with 12psi in the deep sierra snow....LANDCRUISER BABY!!!
IMG_1004.jpg

I think I would try airing down more if I had onboard air, but this ride, if it could have been completed would have put me on 40 miles of pavement at the end before the next town, that would suck at 12 psi, and the majority of the drive was done at speeds up to 40 mph, airing down for rock crawling or crawling in general seems ok but for the wheeling we do around here does not seem to apply. Another picture of the passenger side. Doesn't look bad compared to ND snow..
0309091849b.jpg

Last edited:
Don't listen to that, he has a magic cruiser that does not weigh 3 tons. Actually, he is driving in fresh powder, not old crystallized stuff that acts like really loose, heavy sand.

Just a shovel is not necessarily enough if you get off course with all four of your locked tires spining happily in idle while the frame rests peacefully on the snowpack.

Tons of lift, dual locked, 37"+ tires, and a Mark's crawler are your best friends if you really want an 80 to be a snow wheeler. I'd be putting mine on 40's with the crawler if I really wanted to keep up with the mini-truck crowd on a good snow run.

I'm not saying that 80 is a bad snow wheeler, just that they go from being awesome to being shockingly sunk and stuck in a heartbeat if you aren't paying attention. But you know this already :D

Last edited:
I wish they made a 35" or even 37" tire that was only 10 maybe 11 wide, Does someone make this tire not a bias ply? I really liked the way my 33x9.5s performed in the snow, not to say the pro comps I have on the 80 are bad but I really liked cutting through the snow on my pizza cutters and I craweld up a road way too far on them one day they floated ok aired up to 38psi as I usually ran them

to answer part of my own question I was looking at interco, they make a trxus 35x12.5 but state that tread width is only 10.5 any body running these

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom