STT Pro vs Ridge Grappler 295/70r18 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these. I've done a ton of browsing and such but I can't find much info on the Ridge Grapplers ( $293 each ). The STT Pro are well reviewed and rated and cheaper ( $253 each ). BUT! The STT Pro seem to lack a bit of aggressive side wall design. It's a bit "flat" for a mud. I had Toyo AT2 ( for example ) and unless you go with their "extreme" sizes. You get a very flat sidewall. Same design, just flat. I'm worried the Ridge Grapplers would do the same thing and offer a nice desirable design but flatten it.

Anyone have any experience with the Ridge Grappler or have an answer about the flatted sidewall blocks? Or should I save some $$ and get the STT Pro. The price difference is basically an alignment which I need.

Edit: I'd also consider a 285/75r18 Toyo RT. Those are a bit further up in price but if anyone has any experience with those please leave a comment!

Last edited:
I have the Toyo RT and they're great so far. I've only had them on since Wednesday and haven't had them off-road but they are barely audible. I have deadened all my doors and cargo area, but even Windows down they are far from a mt. I had duratracs on a Tacoma previously and feel these are quieter. They balanced with no problems and little weight. I have a 1 inch spacer, trimmed my front bumper minimally and pounded back the pinch weld, and I have not rubbed once so far at full lock both ways. I didn't think the sidewall was that aggressive when I saw pics on mud before, but in person it's a nice looking tire. The downside is they are fxxxing heavy!

image.jpeg

I have 37" STT Pros on my 80 series and they are outstanding. Work well in mud and the rocks. The sidewalls seem in line with most other mud terrains (maybe except interco).

image.jpg

For the price, it's hard to beat STT Pros!

Just looked at a picture of the Ridge Grapplers and they look more like an AT than a MT to me. The STT Pros are much more aggressive all over:

image.jpg

Agree with Charles4x4 above

You are comparing apples to oranges.

The STT pros are a mud tire and will preform as such.

Here comes an opinion!

I personally think (NO personal experience) that the ridge grappler will preform better on road comparatively speaking and will likely tackle light trail duty.

It's simply an AT hybrid tire for those guys who want the awesome look of the Trail grappler... Which in my opinion is a great compromise for a rig that serves as a DD.

As far as Off-road - hands down the STT pro will dominate.

I'd really be interested in the weight of the Ridge Grappler. I started a thread on these last week but the mod moved it to tire tech and it got no feedback.

Im a fan of the size you're looking at.. Either way excited to see what you end up with - be sure to post pics.

The Ridge Grappler 285/70-17 weighs 58lbs. I know this from the shipping receipt I got ordering 4 of them last week.

I specifically posted this in the 100 series forum because we are the ones that predominately use this size and I know from personal experience that I don't ever go to the tire forum section because there is just so much info to sort through to find topics related to 100 series.

Montegofd3s please post some pictures as soon as you get them! I do most of my driving on houstons freeways and maybe an AT hybrid isn't such a bad idea.

Tire type has nothing to do with what type of vehicle you have. How do you use this rig besides highway? Does it see off road and if so what kind of conditions and how often? That'll give a better insight on what tires should be recommended.

I run 37 STT Pros on my first gen 4runner. You're more than welcome to come check them out. I live inside the loop. The Nitto you mentioned is an A/T. The STT Pro is more along the lines of the Trail Grappler by Nitto.

I'm thinking the Ridge Grappler and the Toyo RT are basically the same type of Hybrid AT. I kind of wish someone would be a Hybrid MT.

How many miles are you guys getting out of your STTPros?

I'm thinking the Ridge Grappler and the Toyo RT are basically the same type of Hybrid AT. I kind of wish someone would be a Hybrid MT.

How many miles are you guys getting out of your STTPros?

I think they're too new for anyone to have run through a set already. I have a few thousand miles on mine and they look brand new.

It's done! I ordered Ridge Grapplers in 295/70r18 this morning. Should arrive in about 5 days. My decision came down to the fact that my dad has Terra Grapplers on his F150 for nearly 3 years and 50k miles and they still look great and passed state inspection. I think he's still got the same set on there. So I decided that Nitto treated my family well. Lets see how these new Ridge Grapplers will do. I'm ok with being a test pilot for these new tires. Especially in this size that seems to be dominating the 100 series line.

If I can get that FJ60 I've got reserved for me, I'll get the STT Pros for sure!

I'm also in the market for a new set of tires. I'am stuck on the ridge grapplers same size or the TG G2s 287/75s. Once you get these mounted please post a few pics. I just scored a set of 2014 Tundra TRDs for 4 bills and itching to get them on.

I'm also in the market for a new set of tires. I'am stuck on the ridge grapplers same size or the TG G2s 287/75s. Once you get these mounted please post a few pics. I just scored a set of 2014 Tundra TRDs for 4 bills and itching to get them on.

My dad has the regular Nitto TG and they were epic. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the G2! And if the New Ridge Grapplers are a good hybrid, I think it the best route to go considering it's not over aggressive but not like a TG either. Hopefully I'll have these mounted Friday and will post pictures ASAP. Also, I considered 285/75 but I think they're just too tall. I do think a wide tire looks bad ass. If you get some spacers, which you'll need, I think you'll need the thinnest spacers available. Don't go with 1.5 inch or whatever. Tundra wheels run wider offset than factory.

They're here!!!

DC0EDC5C-79C4-41A8-9CBA-A82EE04B3025.jpg

Which side wall? I'm leaving toward the traditional blocks but in person the other side looks great too.

Nice! Can't wait to see them on.

Thx.

F1AC63BE-2188-45B6-B150-E295B0D6A15C.jpg

Here it is! All 295/70r18 of it. It's noticeably heigher than my previous Toyo MT 33x12.5. It feels taller driving it too. But! They ride as quiet as my old Toyo AT2s! Sidewall designs are nice and chunky! Not like a flat design!

They look great! Thanks for the pic.

F1AC63BE-2188-45B6-B150-E295B0D6A15C.jpg

Here it is! All 295/70r18 of it. It's noticeably heigher than my previous Toyo MT 33x12.5. It feels taller driving it too. But! They ride as quiet as my old Toyo AT2s! Sidewall designs are nice and chunky! Not like a flat design!
Do you have any more pics with the tires on? Maybe a front pic???

for a DD you made the right choice.... I ran 35" STT pros on my Heep then went to 37" RT's and even larger they were smoother rolling..... hence my putting them on my new 200 - the Coopers also had a softer sidewall that made handling a bit squirmier..... maybe an advantage for mudding and rock for the coopers but ....

cheers

any feedback on these so far with some miles on..... debating them for my new rims in 35x115x20......

thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom