1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stock CD/stereo question

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by fj40crusher, May 20, 2003.

1. fj40crusher

fj40crusher

My CD player doesn't play anymore in my 97. Anyone else have that problem? Everything else works ie: Tape, FM... just no CD. I put the disk in it tries to play then ejects. Just wondering if this is a common problem.

Also, has anyone replaced their stock stereo with another OEM stereo? How much is the dealer going to nail me on it? I would prefer to keep it original rather then go after market...well, at least until I put a dvd player in :G

2. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

I see the stock units on Ebay all the time, you could also get one out of a yard. Why not upgrade? A great solution I've seen is to use the double DIN slots to mount a CD reciever and then put a changer in the slot below. Blaupunkt makes one that fits perfect. I've found with OEM stereos, it's almost always cheaper to replace them than repair them.

3. thelal

thelal

was N of Seattle, WA, USA - now on 1 year 4x4 trip
    Seems to be a common problem (see 80scool archives)
    My 96 constantly gives problems. Better when warmed up (on hot days) and doesn't spit them out as much.
    Some suggest bending the CD a little b4 u put it in. Others say keep your finger on it so it cannot keep spitting it out and eventually it grabs. Hasn't worked for me.
    Certainly any little scratch causes mine to skip but on my PC player its no problem.
    Most seem to replace the unit and I'll do so maybe via iPod or MP3 player (no skipping)
    Try a head cleaner and see if that makes any differnce (again has worked for some).

Lal
    brendan.lally@ mail.com

4. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

From the Toyota Factory Service manual.

1. Disconnect battery
    2. Remove head unit
    3. Throw head unit in bushes
    4. Replace with quality aftermarket unit or stock disc changer from a different vehicle. Use the fancy wiring connectors as discussed here just recently.

5. Redfish

Redfish

When my CD stopped working (inevitable) I took the local autosound guy's advice and upgraded to a JVC unit. The improved sound was very noticeable, especially when I replaced the door speakers. What was really nice is that upgrading to a better unit cost less than replacing or repairing the stock unit (try ubid.com) :banana: