STLCA 80 Series Club Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is going to be fun. Suggest you take all the pics and measurements now so you can compare 5 years down the road once it's all beat the he!!.

Just a couple opinions and observations learned while working on and watching Nick wheel the franken80 for 4 years:
  1. Keep it on 37s until you have the hybrid axle built. Nick had problems keeping his front axle together w/ 39s despite ARP studded everything. I attribute this to the auto-trans and lack of low-low gears but that's been covered in the other thread. With the only exception being lockers Low gears are the A#1 asset for a crawler, everything else plays 2nd fiddle.
  2. You hit upon balance, sounds like you've been reading. Try to retain some good weight distribution, +/-55/45 is a good goal.
  3. There's a lot of sheet metal and glass on 80s. Either fully exo it now or get used to broken windows and dented panels, Rail-trail at Windrock is the birth place of the Franken80 idea.
Looking forward to seeing where this goes and watching you beat the snot out of it.:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks Ted. Yeah, I know glass is going to be a luxury, but I'm gonna try to keep some skin on it as long as possible. Would love to boatside it like the above picture. In my head I have vision, but gonna need to get a bottle of gas, a bender and a notcher and practice my wire burning skills.

Well I had to cut one of the OME shocks off when we took the SLEE setup off Beno's truck so with all the sales going on I started looking at options. After some discussion with Erin, I had my budget and ended up picking up a pair of the FOX IFP 2.0s for it. Got tracking numbers today. Gonna run these and see how they fit the bill and will either match up the rears or will pick up something else somewhere down the line.

At our current clip, I'm hoping to have my barn back to start working on some trucks in a couple months and after swapping a trans, the suspension work will start.

I'll report back after I get them on and have a few miles on them.

well...I may enter the FJ80 landscape.....seriously thinking of acquiring an 80 and swapping 5.3 or 6.0 GM V8. Right now I'm looking around, asking questions, researching...etc. To say I'm impressed with the 6.0 engine's performance is an understatement, as I think its a great truck engine GM has had around for a few years in the 2500 and 3500 HD truck bodies.

Currently one going on over in the AC clubhouse

build thread of (ole red)

I'm watching this on myself as I am thinking this may be something that I look at doing at some point down the road. The LS is the new 350 swap, perhaps easier with all the stand alone computers and other goodies on the market now.

well...I may enter the FJ80 landscape.....seriously thinking of acquiring an 80 and swapping 5.3 or 6.0 GM V8. Right now I'm looking around, asking questions, researching...etc. To say I'm impressed with the 6.0 engine's performance is an understatement, as I think its a great truck engine GM has had around for a few years in the 2500 and 3500 HD truck bodies.
I've had a couple different trucks, both with 6.0 LQ4s and love them. So easy to work on and modify for more power (cam, valve springs, FI, etc) as well as super reliable. I'd love to swap one in my 62 someday...

We have joined the 80 series crowd! picked up a 96 with a blown head gasket (big surprise right) last weekend.
059.JPG

That the rig You looked at in Lebanon? She looks pleased with her future ride. Look forward to seeing how it comes together.

Thats the one. After i get the HG replace i'll start asking all those annoying questions about how much lift,what kinda sliders.ect. suggestions welcome.

I need to find a 1FZ truck to tinker with, you know to continue my collection and further cement the name "80 Acres"

IMG_4963.JPG
IMG_4962.JPG
IMG_4964.JPG
IMG_4961.JPG
IMG_4967.JPG
Well I've always wanted to be a part of the 80's club so here goes:
-93 w 211k, currently won't start but I shot ether in the intake while the seller cranked & I got it to run pretty steady. Engine sounds pretty good, no knocking or rattling so I'll keep fingers crossed.
-has been wrecked front drivers but so far nothing that looks too bad.
-PO removed roof rack so I had to tape up the open holes in the roof. If anybody has a factory rack that fits please let me know.
-drained the fuel tank today. It needs a battery so I'm also going to check 12V to fuel pump. Pretty easy to access IMO. Also having a drain plug for fuel is a nice feature!
-my plan is to get running, fix minor things and sell.
-no, it doesn't have lockers ;)

Good luck with the flip. And if it blows up, let me know, I'm always on the look out for more junk to stash in the yard.

IMG_4972.JPG
IMG_4981.JPG
IMG_4976.JPG
IMG_4980.JPG
Bought a battery today. Confirmed I have 12V at the fuel pump connection that turns off w key. Pulled the pump today & got a nice surprise! Yuck! So it looks like I can't reuse any of the pump assy. Since the tank is so nasty too my options are 1-get tank boil cleaned & find a used pump assy, or 2- find a decent clean tank w clean used pump assy. Thoughts?

The good is that sunroof, locks, windows, dome lights, stereo & outside lights all work! Tore all the carpet out and cleaned it up a bit too.

Wow. If that much water was in gas tank, I'd be worried about the intake and gummed up fuel lines, ports, etc. I bought a used tank last year at a yard in Murfreesboro for $75 or something. You could probably clean the tank and snag a used pump, but if you're pulling it, maybe replace them both to avoid any potential rust issues.

Just be sure the tank hasn't been sitting in a yard for a long time with old gas. Good luck!

@sk8salomon might hit this guy up. He is parting one and says it still runs, bet the tank and pump are still in it. Worth a shot and he might have a few other things you might need.

Parting out 1997 Land Cruiser

Last edited:
yeah that fuel pickup assembly looks "nasty"...

if you can buy a good used tank....its easier to clean off the truck. The one you have may be slimy

@sk8salomon I'd plan on doing the fuel filter too. You might get a couple so you can fill one with the gunk and then one to throw on when you get it all cleaned out and running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom