STLCA 80 Series Club Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Front Axle Question

So my buddy came over today and we put his 80 on the lift. With the tires off and spinning the rotors, it sounds like the axle end and the ring and pinion are stripped. It is a 94 model and when you turn one side the other side does not move. I was thinking that this model is AWD. It doesn't have lockers either. Any ideas on what it might be before tearing the whole axle apart? He also plans on doing a knuckle rebuild. Thanks guys..

Was the T-case in Neutral? It is AWD, so, and I am not 100% sure on this, but I think you may be free wheeling one side of the front while the other one is still connected to the main drive-line. What you might be hearing is the differential actually doing it's job and letting one wheel spin.

If the t-case was in neutral, then I would think that it should spin the other tire in the opposite direction. If it isn't moving at all then something is no bueno and you need to pull it apart and take a look inside.

But if that is the case then I would suspect that he would have noticed some considerable noise from the front-end prior to now.

Was the T-case in Neutral? It is AWD, so, and I am not 100% sure on this, but I think you may be free wheeling one side of the front while the other one is still connected to the main drive-line. What you might be hearing is the differential actually doing it's job and letting one wheel spin.

If the t-case was in neutral, then I would think that it should spin the other tire in the opposite direction. If it isn't moving at all then something is no bueno and you need to pull it apart and take a look inside.

But if that is the case then I would suspect that he would have noticed some considerable noise from the front-end prior to now.

I forgot to mention, that it would not go in drive very good and again, it sounded like the front was grinding. We took the 30a center diff fuse out and it goes into drive fine and goes under power. The other down side is that around 35-40 mph, it has a major death wobble and making a sharp right turn, a lot of noise.

Did you disconnect the front drive shaft and try to spin the rotors? I would try that and see what it nets you. If he is looking to do the knuckle job, perfect time to go ahead and pull everything apart. It kind of sounds like the front-end may need to come apart just to rule some things out and make sure he doesn't have something minor that could turn major.

I am also wondering about the t-case a little since you mentioned the fuse and it going into drive. Any noise from underneath?

Did you disconnect the front drive shaft and try to spin the rotors? I would try that and see what it nets you. If he is looking to do the knuckle job, perfect time to go ahead and pull everything apart. It kind of sounds like the front-end may need to come apart just to rule some things out and make sure he doesn't have something minor that could turn major.

I am also wondering about the t-case a little since you mentioned the fuse and it going into drive. Any noise from underneath?

If I remember correctly, with the fuse in, I wouldn't go with it in high and would go into drive in low. With the fuse out, it goes into high and low fine and drives but has the really bad death wobble at 40 mph. No noise from underneath that I could hear.

The rig had OME yellow bushings in the front when I bought it. And the WK sliders just bolted right up with no issue. I think you will be fine with with the caster plates. The arm drop brackets that bolt to the frame can interfer with the front leg mount. I think MAF sells those, you should be good with the slee plates.

The front is sagging pretty bad and I need to get some taller springs or spacers and when that happens I will probably have to go to the slee bushings or caster plates.

Lookin great, Daniel! What brand tires are those? Which lift did you go with?

Cheers, joel

...via IH8MUD app

Thanks, Joel. These are Firestone Destination MT's. I ran a couple different sets on my Tacoma years ago and they were great. They hook up well off road but have good manners on pavement as well. Tread wear and load capacity are a good fit for my application, and you can't beat the price at under $250 a tire.

Cool, the plates will/should get your caster back to spec. Unloaded, my last cruiser netted 4.5" lift from J springs. With weight, should be less than that, but still give good clearance. Let me know if u need a hand with the install...

Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

Pulling this back to the top.

I am getting ready to prep my 80 for a snowpocalypse this year. Been seeing alot of signs that this may be a high snow fall year.

Current to-do:
  • change out all clamps on the rear heater hoses with new
  • install a blue sea switch for my winch and test her out.
  • Throw a blanket and some basic supplies inside
I am also going to be picking up a IPOR rear in the next few weeks from another MUD'r who is moving on to something new.

Anyone got any suggestions for snow prep?

Pulling this back to the top.

I am getting ready to prep my 80 for a snowpocalypse this year. Been seeing alot of signs that this may be a high snow fall year.

Current to-do:
  • change out all clamps on the rear heater hoses with new
  • install a blue sea switch for my winch and test her out.
  • Throw a blanket and some basic supplies inside
I am also going to be picking up a IPOR rear in the next few weeks from another MUD'r who is moving on to something new.

Anyone got any suggestions for snow prep?
Yes, add
1 kids snow shovel or small snow shovel,
tire chains ( I need them too)
spare windshield washer fluid or a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and mix with favorite WWF
spare cheap gloves and hat
emergency blanket
condoms? (you never know who you might meet if you are single)

Anybody ever thought about boatsiding an 80?

0510131618_zps32037d34.jpg~320x480

picture borrowed from a build thread on pirate.

I won't be doing anything in the near future, but like the idea. If the rig is fully caged, tying the body straight to the frame won't matter.

@Land Speeder you ever cut up/ off the rockers on any of your rigs?

So I am gathering parts to put Bruce under the knife so to speak and while there will likely be a build thread in time, I needed to put it down somewhere so I have an idea of where I am and where I am headed.

Bruce is my white 1991 FJ80 (so-named for the great white shark in Finding Nemo)
Currently:
2.5" OME heavy fronts/ Med rears
ARB up front with XRC12
WKO Sliders
IPOR rear
Spartan locker in the back
FF conversion
FZJ rotors and calipers up front
35x12.5 Cooper STTs on 17" Tundra wheels
Garvin full length roof rack

2015-05-28 15.09.59.jpg

He is about to take a serious turn as I am ready to actually start playing with some of the big boys.

Currently I am working on acquiring a full SLEE 4" setup with arms a part-time converted T-case with a crawler gear installed.

The rack is up for sale as it will likely be removed unceremoniously by a tree or rock if I don't go ahead and do the honors.

Right now that is the starting point.

Long term I intend to do some sheet-metal trimming. Want to leave the main roof back at least over the middle row, doors will be gutted and turned into removable half doors. Start working on a cage with some exo sections, but mostly want to keep the body as clean as I can. Would like to boatside it as noted above, trim the fenders to run 37's or 39's, Build a 9.5" hybrid front for it and then see where I am at that point. Balance is going to be a big deal, so likely relocating some things to the rear to help move some of the weight around alittle. And depending on how I like the crawler set-up in the case, I may want to swap in a 5 speed with a NWF range box and split case at some point.

Pretty ambitious, but I want something a little different, and the 80 already has a good wheelbase and beefy drive-train, it just needs a little persuasion to make it's way out of it's shell.

Could be interesting. :smokin:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom