Stihl Chainsaw not oiling? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok - is there a rule-of-thumb for chain oiling that doesn't involve this level of test equipment?

LOL!

Most people use a rain gauge that has the cc's on it as well as inches. They use a small funnel as well.

Take your bar and chain off and hold it over the funnel in rain gauge, run the saw about 3/4 RPM (10,000rpm) and see how much oil you get.

If it is oiling fine right now and you are happy with it then just run it. :D

Last edited:
LOL!

Most people use a rain gauge that has the cc's on it as well as inches. They use a small funnel as well.

Take your bar and chain off and hold it over the funnel in raingauge. rund the saw about 3/4 RPM and see how much oil you get.

If it is oiling fine right now and you are happy with it then just run it. :D

Ok, cool - I was envisioning some kind of rube goldbergian contraption involving a timing light, alarm clock and a squirrel on an exercise wheel but wasn't sure if a gray, red or black squirrel was appropriate or where to get a wheel big enough :D

Maybe I'll have a go at the much simpler rain gauge test when I have some time (don't hold your breath).

For clarify, this is cm^3 per MINUTE? I am guess that is correct with the 10k rpm, but I thought I'd be clear.

TIA

Yep, per minute. Each model of STIHL has it own flow rate range.

The best way to tell is if you have 15% to 20% of the oil left in the tank when you are out of gas. All saws are designed this way.

This will fluctuate when you rip with the saw of if you use a saw mill attachment.

So is it working correctly?

Yep, see posts 16 and 18
I've run a few tanks through it now, and the oil is always well down when the gas runs out, and I haven't burned up any chains yet. So I think I'm good!

I have a Stihl 023 with symptoms of a oiler problem. I've read some of your other instructions for different models, but my 023 is a little different and I need some instructions on how & what to disassemble to get to the oiler gears. Thanks!

Need alot of help with my old Stihl 023L

I have a Stihl 023L chainsaw, I had it stored in the shed for 5 years (emptied of gas and oil), I broke it out the other day to cut a pear tree, I put the gas mix in and oil and after a few pulls it started right up and it was cutting great 30 minuted into.
Then I noticed the oil was not flowing like it should (very dry) and then the chain just stopped turning.
It runs great. I am not an expert at chainsaws, but I sure like taking things apart and finding out what went wrong and putting it all back together again. If you can help me with solving what went wrong here, I sure would like that, because I got no money to pay for taking it in a servicing it.:bang:

Two threads on it

https://forum.ih8mud.com/search.php?searchid=5407268

I have a Stihl 023 with symptoms of a oiler problem. I've read some of your other instructions for different models, but my 023 is a little different and I need some instructions on how & what to disassemble to get to the oiler gears. Thanks!

I have a Stihl 023L chainsaw, I had it stored in the shed for 5 years (emptied of gas and oil), I broke it out the other day to cut a pear tree, I put the gas mix in and oil and after a few pulls it started right up and it was cutting great 30 minuted into.
Then I noticed the oil was not flowing like it should (very dry) and then the chain just stopped turning.
It runs great. I am not an expert at chainsaws, but I sure like taking things apart and finding out what went wrong and putting it all back together again. If you can help me with solving what went wrong here, I sure would like that, because I got no money to pay for taking it in a servicing it.:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom