1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stiff steering normal after bearing repack?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by semlin, Apr 3, 2003.

1. semlin

semlin rocker

Media:
    OK, I’m back on the road with repacked front axles (wheel and pivot bearings were all good), a rebuilt cv joint and a straightened drive shaft plus my third alignment in three months. Visa has got me covered (Ouch). Has anyone else found the steering just a tad stiff after this kind of work? I feel like I’m driving an M1A1 out there (or a Leopard II since I’m in Canada)

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Supporting Vendor Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Do you also have the 120mm smooth bore cannon? It is particularly effective with DU penetrators....... :eek:

How much stiffer? If your trunions were loose before and they reset the pre-load properly that would stiffen it up some....Did they remove the knuckles? Sorry to sound like the Spanish inquisition.......Just thinking out loud (and scoring another 8))

3. semlin

semlin rocker

Media:
    In Canada our tanks are strictly for humanitarian purposes so they don't use actual ammunition in the guns as this might hurt someone. Also our tanks don't move because this requires that they use fuel which might harm the environment. They do make good planters.

Let's see, with loose (1) being the steering on a 76' Royal Monaco Brougham station wagon and stiff (10) being a 1966 Mercury Ranger pickup with manual steering, I'd say it has moved from a 5 to an 8.

4. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I didn't notice any difference after the repack. However it was done before failure and only the trunions were replaced.

Rick

5. Hltoppr

Hltoppr SILVER Star

Media:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    Hmm, DU! &nbsp:Dan, you give me flashbacks to my Los Alamos RCT days....

-H-

(Shamelessly getting another post on a Friday... :slap:)

6. cruiserdan

-H-Re: stiff steering normal after bearing repack?

-H-

Next time I'm in Los Alamos for a match, I plan to stop by The Black Hole and see if I can pick me up a chunk. I wanna stick it in the garden to see if it will keep the rabbits out of the beets....... :dunno:

7. cruiserdan

Oh, Simon,

S**t, forgot about you......Sorry..

Maybe the Birf is Tight from the rebuild...Run it for a day or two and see how it shakes out........Dan

8. Hltoppr

Hltoppr SILVER Star

Media:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    Uh, Yeah, I hear rabbits don't like beta emitters ??? :)

-H-

9. landtoy80

landtoy80

Before I did my knuckle job I hated the way it steered. It was stiff and I had to use my hand to steer going down the road. I took the knuckle apart and the steering bearing were so bad that when I turned the steering arm it would lock in three places. The bearing were long gone. I now can steer with one finger. It sounds like who ever did the job didn't' use a spring guage to test the load on the bearings. There are shims to correct for the bearing load or preload, I forgot the correct trem. I installed new newfields too and it is not stiff. The same is for the fj60 with a new steering damper OME.
    kurt