stiff new u-joint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just put a new universal into the rear driveshaft on my 40 and compared to the other one its very stiff to move. i can move it but only slowly back and forth, side to side. it is a smooth motion with no actual sticking. so i am wondering how stiff a new u-joint should be? is this normal?

as long as it is a smooth motion your probably fine...

the old u-joint has a lot of miles on it and is more worn, and the grease is broken down, and thus it is easier to move.

the old joint could probably use a shot of grease as well...

Could also be binding or bent ears on the yokes. You might try tapping the yoke ears in a direction that would make them open wider. Remove the c-clips and make sure the inside face of the yoke is CLEAN. Dirt and burrs here would cause a tight joint (BTDT :rolleyes: ). If the joint is still stiff then I'd suspect a bent yoke. I've had one bent while swapping joints around. Joints, new or old, should move easily.

HTH,
Nick

scraped and scrubbed everything completely before reassembly. what keeps me from thinking anything is bent is that the resistance is the same on both sets of bearings (so therefore equally bent, perhaps?). also, the caps pressed in easily. the other u-joint has virtually no resistance and will flop from side to side by its own weight. i removed the zerk and worked the joint to see if i overloaded it and only a smidge of grease worked out of the hole, so that's ruled out too. if i run with it do you think the stiffness might damage things like the pinion and/or the transfer output bearings?

Smack the yoke with a hammer a few times in a location where you won't damage it or the new jont, this will centre the joint and cups. It should free up nicely and move smoothly and easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom