Stereo Upgrade- Inexpensive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jon#'s, what Klipsch makes now is not near what they made in the 70's when Paul Klipsch was in his heyday. Plus they didn't have the super high-end companies to compete with back in those days. That's when they made their reputation.

I also use Klipsch for home theater but not music.

So much for history lessons...

Ed

Ya, their horns and herseys were awsome but not, with companies like heck could name a whole list of highend audio makers, klipsch has lot a little.

Cary.....yep...speakers are the weak link in my system right now, without question. the Klipsch replaced...and don't laugh...the Carver 'Amazing Loudspeakers' several years ago....I kinda wish I still had them. A little too 'brilliant' for my tastes, though. I haven't active pursued speaker upgrades.........yet.

Back on point, though..(Stereo Upgrade - inexpensive)....talk to me about your thoughts on better sub for the LX while at the same time keeping the 'stock' appearance.

Psst.....wanna buy some wonderful Bose 10.2's? :)

[quote author=bkgiii link=board=2;threadid=4310;start=msg32376#msg32376 date=1060954125]
Cary.....yep...speakers are the weak link in my system right now, without question. the Klipsch replaced...and don't laugh...the Carver 'Amazing Loudspeakers' several years ago....I kinda wish I still had them. A little too 'brilliant' for my tastes, though. I haven't active pursued speaker upgrades.........yet.

Back on point, though..(Stereo Upgrade - inexpensive)....talk to me about your thoughts on better sub for the LX while at the same time keeping the 'stock' appearance.

Psst.....wanna buy some wonderful Bose 10.2's? :)
[/quote]

The Carver Amazings were actually a great speaker, they just needed a lot of SS power to run well. There is actually a thread on audioasylum right now of a guy looking for speakers to replace the amazings and nobody is coming up with anything good. FYI the ribbons in the Amazings were the same ones used by Genesis (Ardie Nudell of Infinity Fame) in their $80,000 speakers.

As far as the sub in the LX, here is my current thinking. Blaupunkt PA275 amplifier (Class T digital amp $149 crutchfield, less on ebay), bridged and running an 8" driver in the stock place. I like the idea of trying the ford explorer Q-logic enclosure, but don't have the time or budget to screw with it (something about a kid on the way and having to buy baby furniture, redo a room and french doors ended up in there somehow :eek:). The blaupunkt is small so it is easy to hide behind the panel, and if the explorer box works, it would be behind there. Another option is a fiberglass enclosure with an 8 or 10 in the stock spot. I haven't gotten it quoted yet but I would guess about $500.

Bose 10.2, actually one of Dr. Amar's better designs. The guy is deaf. "No highs, now lows, must be Bose." I only have one thing to say to Amar :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Cary

Cary, (and other audiophiles), I've been considering the Infinity powered self contained sub-woofer for my 80. Figured I could bolt it down and take it out when I needed the space. $299 list. All metal enclosure.

Any thoughts on the product?

Ed

BTW Seems like Junk cranked up his home system. Result: 50 million people without power.

The infinity is a good idea and decent sounding. Other alternatives would be to get an Image Dynamics Subwoofer ($90), Q-logic englosure ($70) and amp ($150) and attache the amp to the enclosure and wire it up the same way. Would probably sound a bit better.

Here is what I think happened with the power outage. Junk fired up those MC1000s, and they put out so much heat he had to kick on the second A/C unit. Then he turned up the stereo to drown out the A/C and the total current draw was so great that he overloaded the grid. :D :D

Cary

After working in High End Audio for more than 15 years, I have a CRAP LOAD of new and used gear (especially cables) That I would be happy to sell to fund a CNC plasma cutter.

The system I am about to setup in my shop (no room in the house) will kick some major booty, but I would prefer to sell it.

Hit me direct if any of you audiophiles have any interest.

Jim

[

Here is what I think happened with the power outage. Junk fired up those MC1000s, and they put out so much heat he had to kick on the second A/C unit. Then he turned up the stereo to drown out the A/C and the total current draw was so great that he overloaded the grid. :D :D

Cary

Junk's MC1000's? I don't THINK so............................:)

Ed...I too wanted a little bass in my cruiser but something I could remove quickly. I ended up mounting an amp on the bracket that previously held the factory subwoofer. I then used two terminal cups and mounted them in the side panel right about where the wheel well arch meets the floor. I then have two Boston Accoustic Pro 10's in a box that sits behind the third seat. I can pull out the box and the only things visible are the terminal cups.

Cary & BMT, thanks for the suggestions. This project is down a little ways on the list...want to have it completed before ski season. Six hour drives to Mammoth with (usually) no family in the LC telling me to turn it down.

A PO must have had a powered Bazooka or something in it. I found wires under the cargo area carpet.Heavy wire direct to the battery post (fused). turn-on wire (probably has a more technical name} from radio, and speaker wires. I haven't traced the speaker wires to see which side of the amp they are on. I'm assuming before the amp. That's why I was thinking Infinity - sort of plug-and-play. Glad nobody totally slammed the Infinity.

Ed

[quote author=bkgiii link=board=2;threadid=4310;start=msg32420#msg32420 date=1060972050]
[

CaryJunk's MC1000's? I don't THINK so............................:)
[/quote]

Would help if I quoted the right system!!!! Poor Junk got blamed for the one thing he didn't break. :D

Glad nobody totally slammed the Infinity

They shouldn't! Infinity makes some good stuff, err speaker side anyways. They make good home applications aswell. I really like the Intermezzos. As for their car stuff, they have some awsome speakers, the Kappas are really nice and their Reference series is awsome too, for highend car audio, Id go with Mac, Alpine, or Infinity. Someone correct me if Im wrong but wasn't Infinity one of the better of the hi-fi companies back in the day?

I used to have infinity components and 3 ways in a prelude, and it would rock. That was until I was f'ing with the CD player @105mph, and put it in a ditch. Ah, to be young, stupid, and bulletproof again. ::) Which explains why I now only drive big slow SUV's.

ya, im glad i got my 80 cuz I know if I had a car that could hit 100mph, id prolly have been pulled over. Fastest Ive ever gone was like 97mph on the way back from Carowinds, open highway, no one on the road, it was so barren I got to turn my brights on and not worry.

I can verify the stock 80 will pull 100 in overdrive and hold it without to much trouble, slower than the wifes 525i which runs into the speed limiter at 128 mph, and slower than the 520i I rented in Germany that would pull 139 mph before the rev limiter cut in at 7200rpm.

Cary :D

I miss fast cars, must be getting old.

I've always wanted a Porsche 944 as my car in HS. You can get them cheap here, a lot cheaper than my 80 but which can I wheel in?? I think I am just gonna get a motorcycle, Ducati 888 or somthin comparable, and drive my 80 when its raining etc.

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=4310;start=msg32074#msg32074 date=1060811148]
McIntosh likely makes the best quality car audio stuff available today. That said, their home stuff is decent but not great. It does last forever. As for the Levinson stuff (actually Madrigal Audio Labs), it is fabulous and I have heard the Lexus Levinson systems are worthy of the name. If you want to see what the actual Mark Levinson is doing now go to redrosemusic.com

Cary
[/quote]

Let's clarify this comment: McIntosh solid state gear is always at least decent and is often wonderful. McIntosh tube gear, on the other hand, is the original audiophile accomplishment. It is the most pleasing gear ever created. It is always purist audio, it is reliable, powerful, wonderful. You can go with vintage McIntosh tube gear for any of the amps. For a tube preamp you can go with the heritage series C2200 preamp, the best preamp ever built, period. I personally think the vintage tube preamps from McIntosh were something less than the vintage tube amps from the magnificent McIntosh. Get a vintage set of MC-30's or MC-60's and you will never want other amp/s again! Slight exaggeration but still tubes are the way! And yes, their automobile equipment is awesome as well. :beer: For All.

I think this set a record for the oldest threat being resurected. Screw the audio, I finally got my new bike.

Cary

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=4310;start=msg81130#msg81130 date=1072636343]
I think this set a record for the oldest threat being resurected. Screw the audio, I finally got my new bike.

Cary

[/quote]

Ahhh yer just jealous! BTW did I mention my mountain-bike is equipped with RCA 6L6GC BlackPlate Vacuum Tubes, yes, it makes for more power and less distortion on rocky and rough trails!!! Happy Listening, Happy Riding, Happy Wheeling. :beer: For All!

You silly tube guys and your tube rolling!!!! I can guarantee my system is better than yours, been the same for over a year, and no desire to change it!!!!!! Tubes are nice, but I can't afford the big amps I need to run my Maggies so good solid state it is.

Cary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom