Steering Stabilizer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GXO

GXO
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
gxor.org
I am pullin out the torch tonight to get this thing done.

tried tie rod end puller...gear puller.....wooden club...holy water.

I even kicked it and swore.

any tips?

Air chisel?

Get it under tension with a puller and rattle the side of the tie rod with an air chisel using a blunt tip.....May do it, may not.

I had a similar problem with a pitman arm on a Mopar steering box. I got a puller on it and put a bunch of tension on it. I then wacked the side of the pitman arm with a hammer several times and finally rattled it loose. Watch out though, when it pops it can get exciting for a bit :eek:

Dude, I went through the same thing a few months back. That sucker does not want to come off!! Basically, I took stock of the situation, went and had a few shots of J.D., then came back and beat the holy living #*&@$#* out of it with a BFH and pitman fork. When working on my vehicles, I normally dont try to use too much force to do anything; normally means that you're doing it wrong. (Especially considering I'm 6'5", 260lbs... too much force can be bad) But in this case, you really have to get midievil with this mofo.

What part of Atlanta are you at? I'm over in Dacula if you want to run over and use the puller I bought to do mine tie rods and stabilizer.

Once again, use the OTC tie rod end puller. If you want to use the Autozone puller, watch for flying metal parts.

OFF!!

I used this as an opportunity to buy a really neat auto lighting Benz-O-Matic MAPP torch and put the lil bastard to red hot then WHACK!!!

I used a pickle fork, PFH, and HEAT....easy as pie...less than 5 minutes to remove both ends.

Shocker...I am your specs as well (6'4", 260) so I agree with the use of force...it felt good to actually hit something HARD for once.

InformationJunky...I am in Woodstock, thanks for the offer...come to the GA Crusiers meeting next month!!

www.georgiacruisers.org

we meet a bar..mmmmm beer

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=5189;start=msg40422#msg40422 date=1063326402]InformationJunky...I am in Woodstock, thanks for the offer...come to the GA Crusiers meeting next month!!

www.georgiacruisers.org

we meet a bar..mmmmm beer
[/quote]
Unless your 17 :'( :flipoff2:
Come by and check us out!

I dont know if this is the exact same but on wed i took my steering stabalizer off my fj62. What a pain in the ass... My manual says not to use a pickle fork bacause it could damage parts. I ended up using a small puller a huge hammer and a lot of force. Im glad i wont be doing that again anytime soon.

I was keeping the tie rod side protected, and I don't care about the stabilizer...it went in the junk pile..

Bring on the BFH!!

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=5189;start=msg40412#msg40412 date=1063325599]
I used a pickle fork and a BFH to get BMT's off, along with some choice words... :mad:

-H-
[/quote]

-H-,

That's not what I heard at all. I understand that you threatened it with litigation and the damn thing melted in yer hands. ::)

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=5189;start=msg40413#msg40413 date=1063325695]
OFF!!

I used this as an opportunity to buy a really neat auto lighting Benz-O-Matic MAPP torch and put the lil bastard to red hot then WHACK!!!.
[/quote]

Picked one of those up myself...... great tool for fits of anger. ;)

The other thing that works great for "stuck stuff" like this is soaking it with some CRC Ultra Screwloose. They finally named a chemical after me. I just dissassembled a complete vehicle, and soaked the stubborn stuff overnight, then reapplied just before taking them off. The really nasty stuff got a shot of MAPP gas, and it all came apart.

Dan,

Did you get it off? Wait, that sounded kinda bad! I replaced mine couple of days ago. I tried the pickle fork idea but abandoned it since I was worried about too much force on the sector shaft of the steering box. What worked for me was using a tie rod end puller to separate the whole thing from the relay rod. Then on the vice, the bracket on the other end was separated from the damper. Don't forget to apply antiseize to everything before reinstalling!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom