steering stabilizer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FIRE! If you can't get it to pop torch it :cheers:

carsonmac - go to Sears and get a 2 arm gear puller. I think they are normally like $15-20. It will come in handy with the steering damp, and many other projects. Smart investment to make.

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=15661;start=msg148863#msg148863 date=1083454978]
2 arm gear puller. Set it up and torque it down then hit the end with hammer. Sould give a nice pop sound and come right off.
[/quote]

What he said. Hammer is they key. Torque, hammer, torque hammer........ repeat until it pops off.

Thanks for the help guys, I bought a puller and got the job done, took a little work to get it to fit on one side but we eventually got it, thanks again.

I just did this today. Rented a pickle fork from Autozone and hammered away. Not sure how you guys do it, but i had to take the DS tire off to get a good pounding angle.

I had a local shop take mine off when they put the rest of my OME suspension on. Unfortunately, I think they put it on backwards. :doh: Doesn't the top of the stabilizer mount on the passenger side and the bottom on the driver side? Does it really matter if nothing rubs? ???

Sounds like I should have jumped in there and did it myself. All that talk about big hammers and torching it and gear pulleys makes you want to grunt like Tim Allen. Glad you got it off. :-*

Another method if the gear puller doesn't work (as in my case) ...and you're trying to remove the driver's side of the stabilizer---

1. Remove the nut on the driver's side and the mounting bracket on the passenger side.
2. Raise the front end of the truck.
3. Remove the driver's side wheel.
4. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right so you'll have a good angle on the bolt holding the stablizer in.
5. Give it a nice solid whack on the end of the bolt with a BF hammer.
Pops right off.

Have a gear puller but had better luck with a pickle fork on my 95 with 120K when I did the suspension. 3 lb hammer was also used. Wheels were still off due to the installation process. The broken rear shock bolt was my biggest obstacle.

I have these pullers, need to do all rod ends and stabilizer on one truck so far. I've destroyed 2-arm pullers before, this Craftsman seems fairly sturdy. The tie rod puller is too big, I see big & small at Harbor Freight, so I need the small? I inherited this one, Oldforge #2507, it has a Carquest price tag of $23.85 on it, and I'm sure that's years ago. Harbor Freight has these pullers for $6 & $8, am I looking at the same tool? That's a pretty huge difference for such a crude tool.

Klunky Chris recommended this tool, where do I get it and how much? (18th post) https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=19223&page=1&pp=30 And how much better does it work?
Pullers.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks! Of course I'll have to see if Autozone loans such a tool before I seriously consider spending my $ on one. So do the Pittman pullers work well also? What's the advantage to this tool?

Scott,

I believe the ends for the tie rod pullers are made with a cup like deal (first on left in pic) to go over the threaded stud of the tie rod end. Pitman pullers have a pointed end I think.

Bill
Pullers.jpg

Bump

Sorry to bring this thread to the top. Going to replace my steering stabilizer soon and wanted recommendations on which to get. Heard bad things about OEM, but this is my wife's ride and am not looking to spend serious dough on a stock (no lockers) 97 80 series with 155k. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

:cheers:

I would vote for the tie rod puller. Or you can destroy everything like i did and use a pickle fork.

I did mine yesterday

And i used the 10 dollar special from autozone and it worked perfectly. They have two models, one is bigger. You have to get the small one if you want it do fit without having to disconnect everything. It took a little work to get it up in their with the right angle, but worked like a charm, no hammering or anything else was necessary.

p.s.

I used the Old Man Emu that comes with the slee heavy 2.5 inch and it works awesome, a huge difference when compared with the stock stabilizer and the new springs and shocks.

Heard bad things about OEM

:cheers:

I haven't heard anything bad about the OEM stabilizer... the price may be a bit steep, tho...

I went with OME :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom