Steering rack blown? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried to have truck aligned while getting new Michelin A/T2s. Tech shows me this. Has the rack blown a seal ? If so a new rack seem to be NLA from Toyota for my '03 LX. Is that really the case?

Oh, and interestingly, the truck wasn't leaking any fluid whatsoever before I stopped in at this tire shop......

IMG_1770.jpg

Last edited:
Probably the tech rip the boot by turning the outer tie-rod WITHOUT removing the clamp on the boot. You probably had the leak and it was getting stored inside the boot. With the rip, it started coming out. How is the power steering fluid level? It is low? Or can the tech trying to get an extra business to his shop?

Lucas and a reboot?

The whole thing is frustrating. The fellow there at the tire shop calls and says my rack is "blown", the front two struts are "blown", the right side has a "blown" cv joint....all are "big safety issues"

It was all pretty ridiculous. The front AHC shocks are fine, but the left one has some mist on it probably from the steering rack. The one cv boot has a little grease showing past the clamp on the drive axle side. It's minimal, certainly not so significant as to need a reboot yet.

Sad part is I don't have time to R&R a rack right now. Work is too busy. I'm taking it to my Indy tomorrow and get his thoughts. I just cannot tell the part is even available from Toyota now.

Just a mech trying to get the easy business. I'd just nurse that rack as long as you could, especially if it's still tight. Put Lucas in it, replace the outer boot, and drive it.

Just a mech trying to get the easy business. I'd just nurse that rack as long as you could, especially if it's still tight. Put Lucas in it, replace the outer boot, and drive it.
X2.

A.J

I just cleaned everything up and will monitor how much fluid it's losing over the next couple of days.

Yes, the guy was trying to pad the bill. He saw my lovely wife arrive in a cherry LX and thought he had a "fish on the line". Once I showed up and walked through the other issues, his story got dodgy in a hurry. At least 80% of what he claimed were issues was just ludicrous.

We'll see what's going on with the rack.

I like flushing with M1 full synthetic MV ATF, cleans seals, and add just a little ATP at-205 re-seal. Wait to Re-boot, so you can see it's stop.

Also check your steering rack bushing, $50, but no hurry. Just watch or video record steering rack mounting points while turning steering wheel and you'll know.

Last edited:
LC 100 Steering racks tend to fail after a high mileage.....mine start squeaking and loosing oil.
Oil tend to get stored inside the boots.

Was able to get a used one from cruiserparts.net and did the job.

Jay

I believe that CVJ in Denver sells refurbed OEM Toyota steering racks. Has anyone tried that route?

I talked to a couple of our preferred TLC shops and the consensus is....do not purchase a reman rack.

I have a brand new Lexus rack ready to go in, and I will compare it to the Toyota rack. Pricing on the two is significantly different.

Details in this thread: LC versus LX Steering Rack ?

The rack replacement is very easy... in the immortal words of Steve Jobs... "You're holding it wrong"

Most guys try to go out the wheel side.... dont. Come out the front of the truck.

Pull the wheels
Disco the outer tie rod ends at the rack (counting threads)
Pull the oil filter (you'll lose 6oz of motor oil)
Loosen Engine mounts
Pull power steering hoses from rack
Disco the steering arm at the rack
Lift engine 1.5 inches (watch heater hoses)
Disco rack bolts
Pull rack out of the front of the truck

Reverse install. Plus add lost fluids back (oil and PS fluid)

There might be a few minor details but it's really that simple. I just did this deal.

just got done doing mine. steering arm bolt wasnt bad to get to easy to take off and on. I ended up unbolting it up high(closer to the firewall) and pulling the rack out with it still attached because it wouldnt slide off the rack simply like the writeup states it should. (as soon as I got it out in the floor it slid right off of course.
My biggest problem i ran into was getting the rear hard power steering line off the old rack. after a 2 day soak of penetrating oil with multiple reapplications i still got nothing. so i cut it off and went and had two brand new lines made.

The racks look identical to each other here are pictures of the two, side by side. Lexus on the left with the black sticker, Toyota with the green sticker.

lex-toy-racks-jpg.1328508

Then again, Lexus on the top, Toyota on the bottom:

imag0283-jpg.1328511

Lexus:

lexus-rack-jpg.1328509

Toyota:

toyota-rack-jpg.1328510

Wish I had time to do this, but work is too busy and travelling too much. Wouldn't be till Thanksgiving week.

Lex - Toy Racks.jpg

Lexus rack.jpg

Toyota Rack.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom