Steering gear box rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just rebuilt mine but went at it far different than the OP via a youtube video I found from bleepinjeep. Seriously that guy was so clear and concise and great lighting that I went back to it over and over as I did mine. I also found two old threads on Yotatech from '06 and '10 with pretty good pixs too. I posted up a starter thread here on mud in the 60's section but am unable to add photos for some annoying reason tho its all on the TLCA facebook page if someone wants to take a look see.

How do I use a cold chisel to remove the 10 mm power piston plunger guide nut?

Cold chisel didn't work for me. I welded a bolt to it and hit it with an impact wrench... but a socket would have worked fine. The heat of the welding seamed to help.

Last edited:
Alright hoping someone is still active on this thread. I am rebuilding my power steering gear box. I have searched and searched and cannot find. An inpit shaft seal. I know it was mentioned that Industrial solutions had one going by part number 18-32-7-DL..... But i can not find the company let alone the seal. Im trying to purchase one online asap, any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Yep, it should be in that kit. @Mike Lyman. I used Edelmann. Just remember that the control valve sealing rings stink in it (green and white speckled) so I got from Toyota for $11.25+ each.

When I first opened the box up I referred to this bag as a jumbled pile of pasta. Yeah, girl here.... Made alot more sense after I did the rebuild.

IMG_7890.JPG

IMG_7753.JPG

@Mike Lyman, here is the diagram that toyota emailed me so I could verify which rings I needed for sure.

IMG_0632.JPG

Very helpful post. thanks

Hey folks,

I just used this 'how to' to rebuild my steering gear on my 92 fj80. Thanks so much to the OP!

The only spot I got really hung up on was feeding the ball bearings back in. After trying for hours to feed them through the recirculating holes in the piston, I found a YouTube video where a man demonstrated using grease on the inside of the piston (the worm gear race) to simply stick the bearings to. He then carefully threaded the worm gear into place. This is what eventually worked for me. Hope it helps the next guy/gal.

Hey folks,

I just used this 'how to' to rebuild my steering gear on my 92 fj80. Thanks so much to the OP!

The only spot I got really hung up on was feeding the ball bearings back in. After trying for hours to feed them through the recirculating holes in the piston, I found a YouTube video where a man demonstrated using grease on the inside of the piston (the worm gear race) to simply stick the bearings to. He then carefully threaded the worm gear into place. This is what eventually worked for me. Hope it helps the next guy/gal.
Bleeping jeep? If yes then that's how I did it too. And used a small zip tie to hold the cage together then I pushed it in and gently tapped it in w/ a hammer against a price of wood. Worked like a charm.

Hi there. I need to rebuild a 1978 to May 1981 Toyota Celica gearbox, not because of leak, because of worn parts and she starts to sway on the road. This site Samurai Power Steering: Toyota Power Steering for Samurai talks about the mating of the Toyota gearbox to a Suzuki Samurai to which I have done. No more adjustment can be done to the gearbox because of wear. If anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit that includes more than a seal kit that would be great! Thanks for your help on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
This hung me up for a couple hours too. I used the OP's method of using grease to fill the recirculating U with balls. My problem was feeding the balls into the "screw threads" (valve assembly = screw, power piston = nut). I finally figured out that with the threads line up, I had to hold the "screw" centered in the "nut" while pushing each ball bearing down gently with a screwdriver until it was barely visible (sometimes wiggling the screw just a bit). Otherwise, the balls would get outside the track far enough to jam, at which point the valve assembly wouldn't rotate inside the power piston. Fourth time was the charm.

If only I hadn't pinched the teflon ring when inserting the whole assembly into the bore of the gearbox. :bang:

I am going to try heating the teflon ring in water before sliding it over the end of the power piston, then putting a piston ring compressor on it for a while (as stated in the FSM) then putting the whole assembly in the freezer before reassembly to give me a bit more clearance.

Any long term feedback between the Gates and Oem kit? About to rebuild my box and wondering if any oem parts should be swapped into the Gates kit which I already have.

@bwakeling, pretty sure my kit wasn’t oem. I got it thru rockauto so it could have been the Gates one. The only problem area is the two control rings that go on the worm gear. You’ll need to get them from Toyota as the aftermarket are just a bit too loose.
In my thread I have the p/n listed (^^^ above I listed them!) but I’m not sure what page. Somewhere in the first 6 pages probably. They were at that time $11.25ish each, they’re white w/ green speckles.
And when you get to the Teflon ring that goes along the output shaft (the vertical one) you’ll want to follow the trick we @CaptClose and @CenTXFJ60 figured out while they did theirs. When I did mine well before, apparently I did it w/o thinking so when they did theirs and we were FaceTiming that’s when it became clear as the best install trick.
And I might get slaughtered but our not so liked competitor bleepingjeep has a awesome YouTube video that is nearly the same. Lighting, clarity, explanations are much easier to follow than other videos out there. He offers some really good tips on bearing install, ect.
GL!

Any long term feedback....?
If February to November counts as "long term" I am happy to report my rebuild with OE parts from Beno is holding up well.

Just finishing this up. Wasnt to bad except it took about 10 attempts to get the ball bearings back in. Only thing I am questioning is I shaved a sliver of the teflon ring putting the power piston back in. Question is, has any one else shaved the ring a bit and did it have any negative impact? The oem ring looks fine so I could pull the piston and re install it. Also tapped the box for hydro assist.

As you slide it in you could feel it get shaved (or clipped) essentially?
If so, yes, same thing w/ me and it’s been fine. If I had to go back in I’d trim it and the opposing edge like others have noted more recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom