Steering gear box rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh by the way my box is working fine with one less ball, no problems after 500 miles :) I have the Lance Armstrong of steering boxes...woo hoo!

Oh by the way my box is working fine with one less ball, no problems after 500 miles :) I have the Lance Armstrong of steering boxes...woo hoo!

There's a punchline in there somewhere....

Nice report with quality pics. very useful to show a mechanic who may not have opened one.

I may have to rebuild my steering box some day and this write-up with pics will be invalueable. Thanks for posting this.

Hi. I just found this site as I was rebuilding my steering box and did replace 2 leaking seals. When closing up I made the mistake to wreck one of the teflon seals from the input shaft :bang: I wish I found this site before I start replacing the seals.... But what is done is done. I did replace a lot of things from my cars with no real problems this far and no, It's not my profession, I just love fixing my car.

But... Can anyone tell me where I can buy these seals?!? I know they are not in the repair kit and he Toyota dealer here doesn't have them.

I live on a very small island in the Caribean sea so I have to order from the US. (Hence the bad English... sorry)
Thanks in advance!

The Edelmann and Gates kits (same kit, different box, shop by price) have all of the needed seals. The OE kit doesn't have the input seals.

Thank you for the advices but when looking at the pics, I do not see the teflon seals.
I did already replace the other leaking seals as I could just buy the regular repair kit at the Toyota dealer here.

On the next pics you can really see all 4 of them... sitting there nice and shiny.

P1010302.JPG

The input shaft has four Teflon rings that aren’t serviced in the reseal kit, so don’t wreck them.
P1010303.JPG

Today I drove to 3 more shops who perhaps whould have one or two but no, I can't get them here.
According to the Toyota dealer there is no part number for the seals.

Can some awesome mecanic here tell me the name, part number, or whatever as long as I can order and ship them here so I can drive again??

Thank you for the advices but when looking at the pics, I do not see the teflon seals.
I did already replace the other leaking seals as I could just buy the regular repair kit at the Toyota dealer here.

On the next pics you can really see all 4 of them... sitting there nice and shiny.

P1010302.JPG

The input shaft has four Teflon rings that aren’t serviced in the reseal kit, so don’t wreck them.
P1010303.JPG

Today I drove to 3 more shops who perhaps whould have one or two but no, I can't get them here.
According to the Toyota dealer there is no part number for the seals.

Can some awesome mecanic here tell me the name, part number, or whatever as long as I can order and ship them here so I can drive again??
The Edelmann and Gates kits (same kit, different box, shop by price) have all of the needed seals. The OE kit doesn't have the input seals.

Just bought the complete rebuild kit. Have to wait up to 2 weeks... impatiently ;)
I'll update when it arrives. Thank you for all help thusfar!

well, man, look at your location!!

About to tackle this on my 75, by far the best write up or guide I've found anywhere. I'm assuming the gearbox is pretty much identical to the 70's. I'm sure it's similar enough to manage I've bought the seal kits for my model so all ok I think. But. I figure if I'm diving into something like this I'd like to do it all while I'm there.

So question is.

Anybody found the extra bits for the input shaft like those 4 Teflon rings, any kits out there for it.

Also I've got a good quality seal kit for the actual gear box but I think it is not including the input shaft seal, THE THING THE MOST COMMONLY LEAKS I BELIEVE! Anybody got a part number?

Luckily I'm making sure of this now before I've pulled the truck apart on the weekend.

After 2 weeks I got my order, did unpack and found the 4 teflon seals inside and they fit, YAHOO!!
Most of the other rings and seals where from another type of gearbox I think. Don't know what I did wrong but for me it's ok, I have what I need and started to fix the gearbox.

For those who didn't put a teflon seal on this kind of device, this is what my mecanic (old guy) did.

1, Throw the seals in a plastic cup within a layer of steering oil, drowning them, after a couple of minutes stretch them a little with the hands and throw them back and wait a day.
2, Put them around he shaft and work/stretch them SLOWLY and GENTLY with a thin pick on the first spot for the seal (don't know the name of the pick but a dentist have the same thing but luckaly they're pick is smaller, lol)
3, Keep moving the seal to the last spot on the shaft and pick the next seal till you have all 4 sitting where they belong. Than leave the shaft for a cup of coffee or a beer, let the seals shrink a little for a couple of minutes.

Now they are still stretched and your officially need a tool to shrink them again, DO NOT JUST PUSH THE SHAFT IN! you'll break them for sure.
If you look close to the inside where the shaft needs to go, you'll see that in the beginning it first slopes a bit, it's not a sharp edge.

4, Put some steering oil where the shaft needs to go and also on the edge.
5, Put the shaft in up untill the first teflon seal and GENTLY press and turn a bit, it'll slide in.
6, Gently turn a bit and try the next seal.
7, Gently turn again and,.. slowly take the shaft out again, you'll see that they shrunk a bit compared to the other 2
8, Put more oil (see point 4) as you'll notice it's getting a bit dry
9, Try the rest and keep in mind, GENTLE and SLOWLY and keep the steering oil coming, it'll be fine :D

This is how we did it. Car drives good again and no more troubles!! (exept that I had to change the oil seal for the driving shaft.. yes the one behind the pully for the timing belt... AGAIN... but it's good now lol)

Great post 96r50, thank you!

I am rebuilding my fj80 box. It is going well, but I'm stuck on step 9, the reassembly, where the O ring, Teflon ring, metal ring, snap ring and seal go back into the main body where the sector shaft passes through.

That Teflon ring needs to fit inside the O ring. It is larger in diameter than the inside of the O ring. The both of them need to go up against the bearing before the metal ring, snap ring and seal go on top of them. I cannot keep the Teflon ring inside the O ring as I try to seat them down into the bore. The O ring "rolls" as it goes down the bore and the Teflon ring is dislodged with the slightest roll. I tried using a socket as a seal driver, but the rolling of the O ring still happens.

If I place the O ring in 1st, I cannot get the Teflon ring to seat inside the O ring.......it resists going into place and bulges out. Wiggle, push, pull, try to get the bulging part in place and the other 3/4's of it that was in place slips down and out of place. Grrrrr. I have tried at least 100 times.....

Anybody else had this trouble with these two seals?

Tips please?

Ok, I got the dang rings in place. Forming the Teflon ring into a heart shape and unfolding it inside the O ring did the trick.

She's all back together, I just need to know what the torque specs are on the steering box covers 14mm bolts please, the ones I just took off and replaced, and the sector shaft lock nut too please.

Thanks.

Pretty sure the teflon seal doesn't go inside the o ring, but against it like a layer cake. Shown on SR-56 in the FSM. If this can't work then you have a wrong / stretched seal and need a replacement.

Edit: bit late. Guess I was wrong, been a while.....If you're talking the end cap bolts, torque is 45 ft-lb as shown on the same page. Lock nut is 34 ft-lb

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
I don't know what end cap bolts are............

Its the 8 bolts 14mm I took off the box to get it apart to rebuild it that I need the torque specs for. Are they also known as end cap bolts??
Thanks for the lock nut spec, I can torque that one to 34 ft lbs.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom