Steering gear box rebuild (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Part numbers:
Toyota gear box reseal kit: 04445-60050
Power piston plunger guide nut: 44154-30020
Input shaft seal part number (not from Toyota See post #28): 18-32-7-DL

Don't forget to order the adjustor parts (screw + locknut). Sent a box to West Texas Offroad along with rebuild parts and they called telling me it was missing. They said they can't recover the original on 80% of the rebuilds they do. Calling cruiserdan........

Would I be able to download these pics and save them to my hdd for future? I don't need high quality pics.

thanks.

Would I be able to download these pics and save them to my hdd for future? I don't need high quality pics.

thanks.

Right click save for Windoze

control-click > Save Image As for Apple

excellent guide, always wondered how they worked inside

steering gear rebuild

Great thread. Looking into tackling this rebuild.

thank you!

with out this post I would have never tried and been successful with rebuilding my gear box . getting all those ball bearings in sucked. thanks for the warning on the Teflon ring around the piston the edge is extremly sharp . great tech article

thanks again Chad

ps careful of pitman arm removal had to heat with a torch after breaking the first removal tool

When I set mine in to west texas offroad, I couldn't get it off. I sent the arm and box in and they removed it for me no extra charge.

Blink said:
When I set mine in to west texas offroad, I couldn't get it off. I sent the arm and box in and they removed it for me no extra charge.

Thank you. I was trying to remove in preparation to send to them.

I'll get a bigger box. Haha.

Thanks!

blow torch for about 45 sec

Note the seal washer:
P1010260.JPG

And to avoid any potential future leaks, that seal washer is marked NON REUSABLE (in the FSM), and is not available as a separate item, but only in a rebuild kit.

WASHER, SEAL(FOR CROSS SHAFT ADJUSTING SCREW)
90210‑10001

But a handy dandy trail fix if it should decide to start spewing copious amounts of vital steering fluid, is to replace it with a copper brake line washer, and some teflon tape around the adjusting bolt threads for good measure.

And it's still working great CDan ;)

I went to Napa today to try and find a replacement input shaft seal since Toyota doesn't sell it separately. Napa didn't have a listing for it, but they sent me to a company that deals with bearings and power transmission components (Industrial Solutions). They were able to match up the seal based on the ID/OD and thickness, since most Japanese auto manufacturers don't release all the data on the seals they use.

We came up with part number 18-32-7-DL, and it cost me all of $3.90 and tax. I'll swap this in to the second gear box with the blown input shaft seal, so I will have a second gear box ready to go (not sure where, but it'll be ready!)

I'll update the first post with some part numbers.

Can somebody please advice where I can source this part in the US ?. Thanks ! this is great stuff

I ordered the Gates steering box rebuild kit from Rock Auto for 27 bucks. It worked great and included input seal. However if you want to stay with OEM I am sure CDan at American Toyota can source the part for you.

Just wanted to post a BIG thank you for the write up. The photos and handy hints came in very usefull. One resealed box done, fitted and test driven. No leaks, steering play gone and all is well with the world. The part details you included for the input seal was also helpfull.

I did shave a tiny sliver off the teflon ring on the power piston on re-assembly. ( I was very carefull) Ahh well. I assume if it leaks, it will only bypass the piston and not cause a major problem. I didn't have a ring compessor so I tried the old "wrap in electrical tape" trick for a few hours, but it didn't work. That edge is sharp. No I don't want to do it again.

But a handy dandy trail fix if it should decide to start spewing copious amounts of vital steering fluid, is to replace it with a copper brake line washer, and some teflon tape around the adjusting bolt threads for good measure.
)

Excellent tip.

Dealing with the issue, now. Hoping this works.

An observation made on the way to wheel, after loosing fluid.

The HP line blew air once fluid was depleted, yet not fluid is spewing when replenished.

Any clues as to why?

I can't for the life of me get the ball bearings back in. The shaft keeps binding and spitting out bearings. Any secret tips to make this happen?

Are 91/92 boxes the same as the other years? Anyone know? Thanks.

Mostly need to know if I order the same rebuild kit and if it's the same to tap for hydro assist, when it comes time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom