Steering Box Fittings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to get a low pressure line made up for an FJ60 steering box, but I can't find a definitive answer on the size of the flare fitting. I have been told M16x1.5 and also M17x1.5.

I got a M16x1.5 fitting to try out and it felt really slack until the flare engaged. A bit too slack.

Can somebody help here?

That is how they feel until the flare hits bottom. I use hardening thread sealer to make sure...

I just did the same thing on my diesel swap.

Doug
IMG_5223.jpg

That is how they feel until the flare hits bottom. I use hardening thread sealer to make sure...

Doug

Is that a setup you had made by a local shop, or did you buy the supplies and make it yourself? If the latter, how much pressure can it hold?

I made up the braided hose and its rated for 1500 psi and my PS pump by pass valve is set at 1000 psi. I have used these hose before with no problems. These are Earl's fittings and hose.

Here's the link to my diesel swap:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/400148-journey-begins.html

Doug

Are the blue hoses return hoses or are they capable of high pressure too? I've been wanting to set up a ram assist for my 62 for a while, but figuring out how to set up the hoses has been one thing that's been holding me off.

Doug

where do those houses route to that are going along the passenger side of the engine? (what appear to be PS hoses)

where do those houses route to that are going along the passenger side of the engine? (what appear to be PS hoses)

From the looks of it, the braided line is the high pressure feed line going from the pump to the gearbox, then the blue lines are going gearbox, cooler, pump.

Doug

So M16x1.5 is the correct size then?

From the looks of it, the braided line is the high pressure feed line going from the pump to the gearbox, then the blue lines are going gearbox, cooler, pump.

That is correct, braided is supply from the PS pump to steering box. Blue from box to cooler and back to the reservoir. If you look closely at the picture in my post, just above the 90 degree braided hose fitting on the passenger side, you will see a black pipe. This pipe is the PS pump supply from the reservoir.

Yes that is the correct size fitting for the steering box adapter.

I'll take and post some shots of the hoses tonight for better perspective.

Doug

Last edited:
If that blue hose is the FC332 or equivalent hose that it looks to be it is good for 250 psi & 250*f minimum. So not good enough for pressure supply, but well suited for the return hose. I'll suggest that the braided hose be covered in adhesive lined thick wall heat shrink. That will keep the inevitable grit out of the braid, which will look nicer and more importantly not allow the grit to wear out the braid prematurely.

To the OP: I've never heard of an M17 thread size in any fitting. I'm sure that it is possible that it exists somewhere, but the engineer who did that either got shot or had a very, very good reason. I'd say with 99% certainty that it is M16.

The reason a 16mm JIC fitting is sloppy in the larger port is because the Toy box uses a 17mm fitting.

I had to have one made because I could not find any off the shelf.

The 16mm is probably okay to use but is not the proper fitting.

Good point on the covering the SS braided line. The blue hose is fc332 so will work well for PS return lines.

On the fitting, the original OD of Toyota PS hose fitting was .625 on mine. I used the 16mm adapter which had the same od. My fitting was a little loose also, so I checked the stock fitting and it was about the same fit? But both had the same OD?

Like I said earlier, applied hardening type thread sealer to fitting to insure no issues.

Doug

M17 threads, or a 17mm hex? If M17 threads then shoot that engineer. WTF was he thinking anyway?

M17 threads, or a 17mm hex? If M17 threads then shoot that engineer. WTF was he thinking anyway?

17x1.50 threads.

I have no clue what they were thinking honestly..

In another post I actually pointed out the place that built the adapter for me. suprisingly, it was only $8.00.

The smaller port is actually a solid 16x1.50

If I remember it tonight, I'll put a caliper on the inner portions of the threads. I had done it one already, but don't remember if I posted the numbers or not. There is a difference between them.

Can you share who made the adapter for $8.00? That's less than I paid for mine. I need a few others also to finish my project.

Doug

LEE MFG. CO in Sun Valley CA
818-768-0371
http://lee-powersteering.com/
has
16mm x 1.5 inverted flare to #6jic for the return side and
17mm x 1.5 inverted flare to #6jic for the press side for
$8 each

(Be aware, I still think I might be screwed up on which is the Press Vs return side.)
Those are the fittings sizes tho.

Guys, take note of that contact info for Lee Mfg. and file it someplace where you can find it again. Tom Lee was building power steering systems (not just rebuilding PS boxes, but BUILDING the boxes) before any of the "big name" PS vendors were very far out of diapers.

Odds are that if Lee didn't actually make the fitting that he bought it from Orme Bros. as they are local to him and an excellent source for automotive & industrial plumbing bits.

That the fittings are two different sizes is pretty common. I'm still floored by an M17 thread though.......... idiot.

The 17's were definately cut down, whether he did it himself or farmed it out I have no clue. but they showed up in less than a week.

And yes, I am running this setup in my 60 right now.
And I think I have a spare one as well.

Last edited:
Occurred to me that there is a 11/16" std thread in Inverted Flare tube nuts & fittings. Took me a while to find it, an 11/16-18 thread (used on 7/16" size tubing).

11/16" is approx 17.5mm and 1.5 pitch converts to 16.9 tpi, so it's close. My PS hoses are loose, I just need to find a sample 11/16" I.V. fitting or tube nut to try in the port.

Would not suprise me greatly..

The 16mm and 5/8fittings are almost interchangeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom