steel wheels - split rims (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tennessee Jed

I can quit any time I want...
GOLD Star
Threads
I've got odd ball aftermarket steel wheels on my 60 from the previous owner, and want to go to steelies. My main use is long distance overland stuff, vacations, etc. What benefit do split rims provide? I used to have a Power Wagon that had splits on it, and it was hard finding anyone to work with them - horror stories of how dangerous they are, etc., and although it's easy to patch a tube it seems to me easier still to plug a hole with a patch kit in a regular time.

I also want to stick with 16" wheel, so I guess I'm looking at aftermarket OEM style wheels, a'la Stockton?

Any need or benefit to go with split rims since I'm starting from ground zero? I want to do it once, the right way.

I've got odd ball aftermarket steel wheels on my 60 from the previous owner, and want to go to steelies. My main use is long distance overland stuff, vacations, etc. What benefit do split rims provide? I used to have a Power Wagon that had splits on it, and it was hard finding anyone to work with them - horror stories of how dangerous they are, etc., and although it's easy to patch a tube it seems to me easier still to plug a hole with a patch kit in a regular time.

I also want to stick with 16" wheel, so I guess I'm looking at aftermarket OEM style wheels, a'la Stockton?

Any need or benefit to go with split rims since I'm starting from ground zero? I want to do it once, the right way.

The Toyota splits are not dangerous. The tyre shops here dont even use a cage to inflate them.
However a few tyre shops have told me the tubes are not the quality they used to be and tubeless tyres have improved a lot.
If you get a nail in a split tyre ,it goes down immediately,but I have driven for weeks with nails in tubeless tyres
Splits are also harder to balance and dont like being aired down as much as tubeless.
You can also fit tubes to tubeless tyres if you have some tyre pliers

Take 2 spares and a good tyre plug kit is my recommendation.
Ive kept my old splits for the trailer as I can still use them as spares on the landcruiser if needed.

lot of threads on mud on this issue. I just put all new 16" OEM splits on my BJ42 and CDN M101 trailer (yes you can still buy new OEM splits). I heard you can air down really low with splits with tubes, bring extra tubes and tube patch kits. I love mine and we did them ourselves, that ring really locks on there, It would take alot I think for it to ever come off somehow? I dont know how it would? if you seat it wrong I guess you could though possibly? they are heavy rims for so narrow. it seems most overseas countries still use them on there new toyotas, I seen them in the middle east on all brand new Toyotas? South America was the same. I have heard they are a bit** to balance, a tire shop did mine?

Rob

Depends on the terrain and type of tyre damage you're expecting. A gash/stake on a sidewall can be too serious to repair with a plug. Then you need to get the rubber off the rim, splits make it so easy, but a decent tyre removal tool takes the drama out of that. R&R (oz) makes a nice bead breaker and tyre removal/reinstall tool.

I have splits in oz so tyrepliers work just fine. I take a couple of spare tubes and have various patches small to huge and FRESH vulcanizing fluid and the gear to be able to repair tubes and have never had the need for 2 spare tyres. I did take an (extra) spare tyre on a trip on the Canning stock route a bunch of years ago, never got a flat and never took an (extra) spare tyre again.

The issue with repairing large gashes in tyres is the silicone mold release agents that are on the inner part of the tyre - you MUST remove it to have a patch vulcanize. Search the web and you'll find good technical writeups that detail some of the steps involves in patching the inside of a tyre.

As Rosco states, the toyota or nissan split rims are not the scary things like big truck split rims. I generally inflate my splits with the split rim facing down - and whack the tyre with a rubber mallet as it inflates to properly seat the bead. A bit of soapy water helps with that too.

If you plan to be able to put a tube on a tubeless rim make sure you get a tube that will work with that rim. I'm assuming a tube may not work well (or at all) in a thick alloy rim.

From personal experience in the oz bush with splits and folk with tubeless steelies I prefer the splits but then I'm old and old school :)

With tube tyres you do need to ensure the inside is spotlessly clean or the tube will abrade against the tyre and rust ring/rim.

I guess in summary it's more a case of being familiar with the type of tyre/rim you are running and have the tools and experience to remove the tyre and repair the puncture. Whether it's a split rim or not becomes a lesser issue.

cheers,
george.

I personally wouldn't bother with splits. Even in our five years in Guatemala we NEVER found a shop that couldn't remove a tire from a standard rim. Sometimes it was a battle between the tire and the guy removing it but their used to it and do it all the time. In the US I wouldn't consider splits at all.

split rims work great for me...but...stockton makes a oem looking 16" steelie series 22 i think...with the correct bs also

they look like this 'Jacket' has them on his rig
IMG_0352.jpg

I wouldn't bother with splits
you can use a hilift (search) or tire-pliers to get a tubeless rim off
carry a spare inner tube and a patch kit and you can fix anything on a tubeless that you could fix on a splitrim. Not quite as easy, perhaps, but ... not the end of the world.

splits are heavier, more dangerous, and in "civilized" areas can be difficult to get fixed.
also- if you travel in a dusty/sandy area and air down, you run the risk of flats due to abrasion between the tire and the tube.

I searched for a long time for a 16" steel wheel that was available in a factory configuration from any manufaturer in a 16x7 with 3.5" back space. This would be IMO the perfect wheel for the 60 series... It doesn't exist in a NON-split configuration. Not as far as I can tell anyway. I ended up tracking down a set of Tacoma spares and I'm very happy with how they look on the truck. The offset is wrong for the 60 and the knuckle needed the slightest shave to clear the rim but they work and with some paint they look great.

I'll have to upload some pix to my photobucket account and post em up.

IMG_5405.jpg

IMG_5403.jpg

IMG_5401.jpg

Last edited:
01-04 for sure and I believe they may have been used earlier. They have 16 holes, which I wasn't keen on at first but I've gotten used to them.

255/85/16 Maxxis Bighorns

Still no "Wheeling" on these tires yet but about 200 miles under them and I'm loving the ride so far. Hoping for some dirt time next weekend maybe.

Don't know what happened to my post, but here goes again. Those wheels are EXACTLY the wheel I wanted. Problem is cost. I did the Taco wheels for $20 total cost for a set of 5. Stockton is $140/ea and by my figures yours were about $125ea. Too rich for my blood. They are bad ass though!

BMAN,

Hard to argue with $20 for those taco spare rims. They look great on your 60.

emr88,

This is a non-USDM split rim center that was removed and welded onto a large ID 16x7 wheel "barrel". With 3.25 B.S. this wheel will fit both my 80 and my 40.I

from wich rim did you take the barrel? I wanted to use the white 6x16" Toyota rim, but the center of the split rim would be to small to be welded in that barrel....

Looks great, just what I want...

by the way, you can use your clips with the 16" split rim center and the hubcabs too...

Hey Matt,

they are for my new daily driver, a ´81 Hi-Lux in almost new condition: (picture from the previous owner)

3909489.jpg

( I know we are lucky :D)

I want to fit the hub cab rims and got some in 15" without the clips. (the 16" are discontinued since last year and I din´t find any used ones..)
Got a few clips from SOR and try to rebuild them now...

3909488.jpg

still I would like 16" rims better and I would prefer non split rims...

they are for my new daily driver, a ´81 Hi-Lux in almost new condition: (picture from the previous owner)

still I would like 16" rims better and I would prefer non split rims...

Hi soenke, great looking pick-up was it restored ?? I see a little overspray on the axle casing.. very clean and from 81 - do you have the road tax break on cars older than 25 years ?

So why 16" but not split rims (factory) I thought as a overlander you would appriciate their simplicity :)

Enjoy the new project....

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom