Steel Building (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going to buy a steel building in the next month. Please give me your experiences with building manufacturers. I have contacted a few and asked for quotes. Any info would be appreciated. Or some good hookups if anyone has any! ;)

I am going with a 50x80 with a 20ft shed off the back

Be really really careful.

Don't pay in advance for a price list or quotes. Make sure any quote includes doors and windows. You are responsible for the pad/install and all local building codes. If they tell you someone just cancelled an order, hang up. Have an atty review the contract before you sign it. Don't sign anything to get a quote. Don't sign anything.

I put up a pioneer steel. Some things to consider. IF you're in a snow belt, the snow will not slide off the peak. Sealing the ribs into the channel is a daunting if not impossible task. With the 1000's of bolts, some are certain to leak. How do you insulate it (if necessary). How do you wire it? Why a steel over a stick built?

In all honesty, I should have done a pole building kit the first time. WAY easier, just as inexpensive, and way stronger. If you want anything else, just let me know. :cheers:

Steel buildings pre-engineered, prefabricated, do-it-yourself steel metal building kits by Pioneer Steel (building) Manufacturers

and here's what it looked like in March.
shop.jpg
shop_end.jpg
shop_longitudinal.jpg

Thats makes it better, Going Pionner again? Was it setup with the Wrong Snow load number?

Nope, already rebuilt stick frame. That building was rated to 75 lbs/ft and I've since met another guy whose arch building went down and his was rated at 120. Code for my area is 65 lbs/ft. My new building is on the same 2' high stemwalls from the steel structure. It has 14' walls (total) in the 30 X 30 shop portion and the back 10' is a bathroom, man room (storing all my hunting crap, reloading stuff, etc), with loft storage over the top of all that.

Here's the original thread.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/chit-chat-section/209962-my-shop-collapsed-last-night.html

No hijack intended, just letting you know what can happen. :cheers:

Last edited:
I had a 45X40 built this year. Got mine from Heritage Buildings. Came out real nice, they will design it to your specifications. They also have building sitting on the dock that the buyer never finished paying for. They are cheaper than a new one buy a 2 or 5 hundred dollars sometimes cheaper than that. The only problem is the color selection.
Hope this helps.

I also purchased a Heritage bldg. 40x72. Just started the red steel 2 days ago, so far everything seems to be going together great. One of the reasons that I went with Heritage was the sales people, they were very low pressure and very nice. I talked to about 4 other companies but Heritage seemed to care more about the customer than the sale.

What Koop said!... Caveat Emptor. My cousin got burned by an outfit that took cash and never delivered - about a decade ago. Southern Ontario (Canada) ... be sure to talk to several references of any supplier you consider. Like any business - there are some great companies and some not so great

I bought a Metllic building. It is a 40x60 with 14' overhangs on both long sides. It is a "Red Iron" building meaning it is a metal beam structure, not a pole barn. It is the biggest I could go without putting a stand alone fire suppression system in.

Steel is a real expensive to insulate and wire like stated previously. As a builder you will get better value out of a stick built building especially on a residential lot. Your insulation ect.. is a lot more available and therefore cheaper to buy. In this market right now you are better off all the way around to build on a foundation and have it stick built. Steel is at its highest price point in history. Lumber is flat or down. Any other questions let me know.

I do residential construction and did a pole building as a side job last summer I would highly recomend this route. i have seen the steel arch buildings and they dont seem as tough and they dont have as much space. The one i did was 10000 for materials but i had 18' walls and was 40x30 with the front side open for loading hay. for a shop type aplication your materials would be higher than 10000 for a simmilar sized building but 10,000 for three walls and a roof aint bad. granted labour was extra but it went up fast put the tin on the roof in the third weekend three guys.

Construction stability

Every county has a building code for a reason, the collapsed building was not able to withstand all that weight. If the building had a steeper roof the snow would've slid off, unfortunately a Quonset style building cannot be designed like a straight wall. A custom steel building should do the job, I used MBMI once they helped me build and they exceeded my county codes.

quonset huts are common here, obviously no snow loads. I've had several friends do regular steel buildings, it was easier to include the labor of putting them up, but for the money concrete block would be better.

Maheshhamal,

aren't you the dude who emailed me about my lottery winnings 2 months ago? I sent my routing number but still havn't recieved my 3.7 billion Euro. Let me know, good luck with the metal shed business.

Yes, but I found out what a great insurance company I have. They treated me extremely well! :cheers:

Holy s*** Chad. Who'd you go through for insurance?

concrete block are always better in my opinion.

not really. From an engineering stand point, they each have pro's and con's. I have analyzed a few CMU (block) buildings before that failed.

Cost was a concern of mine for my 32x40 garage...I went with wood. Steel was another $10k, ICF was about the same increase again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom