State Trust Land Permits - YES! You May Need One!! (1 Viewer)

Do you plan to get (*or already have) a valid Arizona State Trust Land Permit?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine showed up in the mail today along with a customer service survey which I will give high end ratings. There is a comment section for suggestions for improvements. Hope the 2 year, 10 year or lifetime will get some consideration, i plan on sending these in.

Also there is a NOTE: The Department plans to contract with an outside vendor to sell recreational permits on-line in the near future. Considering that the State is still operating under previous budget cuts, that the vendor may assess a surcharge for its services and that the surcharge may be passed on to the permittee, there has been a delay in implementing this charge.

There is light on the horizon for rural folks.

got this years permit in the mail yesterday - too easy!

0930151927.jpg

Really need to sent off for one. Had a summons for jury duty downtown and figured I pick one up then. Ended up not needing to appear. We getting into prime wheeling time in the desert don't need to risk the hassle and cost just save a few bucks.

Im ashamed that I forgot how to get a new one.

Im ashamed that I forgot how to get a new one.
The link is in the very first post of this thread.

You can mail order or go downtown to get the permit in person.

Print the form, fill it out, send $15 check or money order, and mail it in. Got mine in just a few days

Print the form, fill it out, send $15 check or money order, and mail it in. Got mine in just a few days

Also, if you only ever wheel alone - then $15, but if you ever take anyone else along with you the extra $5 for the 'family' might be cheap insurance.

The phrase, "Yeah, he's like a brother to me" might just keep your co-pilot out of hot water, too!

Aren't we all brothers and sisters? Adopted or step children but family none the less.

Also, if you only ever wheel alone - then $15, but if you ever take anyone else along with you the extra $5 for the 'family' might be cheap insurance.

I usually get the $20 family pass, just in case Sarah is with me on a trail ride.

I stopped by the Flagstaff office of the State Land Department a few months ago to get my permit. They had no idea what I was talking about. I explained the permit was to permit legal access to the State Trust Lands. "Ohhhhhhh, I think you might have to go to Phoenix to get that, but I am not really sure," was the reply I got. I was aware of this thread at the time, which prompted my visit.

I did purchase a SLT permit at this same office 12-13 years ago, and I did carry the permit with me regularly for a few years when I used to frequent the Table Mesa area regularly. However, it seems to be "an unknown" up here in Norte AZ. There are several recreational use trails that I frequent (AZ trail and Flagstaff Loop Trail among them) that cross State Trust Land within a few miles of my home. they are running/biking/horseback trails. I can guarantee that 99% of all users do not have a permit on them when they are on foot/bike/etc. I suppose it depends on where you are in the state. Like emissions testing, I am glad to live where I do!

(and, will all that being said, I still do plan to get a permit via mail)

Just got mine Tuesday downtown. It took about 5'. Parked on the north side of building. Went in and talked to the nice lady at front desk then paid cashier and was out.

thats how i got mine too. literally took me 5 minutes.

Mailed in my check early, mine was going to expire at the end of December. I also order up my national parks pass 'America the Beautiful' and my Tonto forest addition to the National Parks. Good for another year

A couple updates on the permit. Arizona apparently changed what constitutes a family and it is now only defined as two adults. I was told that any adult traveling with me was fine. Also, the permit process is supposed to be available online early next fiscal year.

Thanks for keeping this topic current and getting the application system online should make it far more convenient for most who don't have a reason to downtown. Take care, and check your maps before any run!

A couple updates on the permit. Arizona apparently changed what constitutes a family and it is now only defined as two adults. I was told that any adult traveling with me was fine. Also, the permit process is supposed to be available online early next fiscal year.
I wish you had gotten this interpretation in writing - it is the cops you will have to convince!

Might involve some kissing to convince the popo:rainbow::princess:

Recreational Permit FAQ | Arizona State Land Department

What is a Family Permit?
ShowAnswer
A family permit extends the same privileges and responsibilities as the individual recreation permit, but includes a family unit of two (2) adults and children under the age of 18 years.
Note: The criterion for a family permit is defined by statute; legal questions regarding this statute cannot be answered by Department staff.

I wish you had gotten this interpretation in writing - it is the cops you will have to convince!

Might involve some kissing to convince the popo:rainbow::princess:

Recreational Permit FAQ | Arizona State Land Department

What is a Family Permit?
ShowAnswer
A family permit extends the same privileges and responsibilities as the individual recreation permit, but includes a family unit of two (2) adults and children under the age of 18 years.
Note: The criterion for a family permit is defined by statute; legal questions regarding this statute cannot be answered by Department staff.

Mental note to self, don't let Steve ride with me:rainbow::flamingo::princess::slap:

Based on my recent experiences with Maricopa County Sheriff's Officers (MCSO) and Table Mesa Rd in the North Valley, I'm including some critical information here for Mudders who may find themselves on- or crossing- State Trust Lands in Arizona along with links to mail in a Permit request. When you see this sign - BE AWARE, you may need a permit to enter!

2489298-1A._State_Trust_Land_Permit_required.JPG

Some history of State Trust Lands: "The Arizona State Land Department manages approximately 9.2 million acres of State Trust lands within Arizona. These lands were granted to the State under the provisions of the federal Enabling Act that provided for Arizona’s statehood in 1912. These lands are held in trust and managed for the sole purpose of generating revenues for the 13 State Trust land beneficiaries, the largest of which is Arizona’s K-12 education. In FY 2013 Trust land revenues exceeded $318,000,000."

Why a Permit may be important to you: A lot of contention and misinformation is out there by Bureau of Land Management (BLM), AZ State Land Department, AZ Game & Fish Dept and law enforcement agencies regarding what constitutes trespassing on State Trust Land. Some argue that crossing State Trust Land doesn't require a permit - but that wasn't my experience (see link below). Others claim that a valid AZ Hunting License is proof of your 'written permission' to use State Trust Lands, but only for actual hunting purposes, not including target shooting. Members of our club have met personally with State Trust Land employees to discuss the specifics and come away with more questions than answers...

The case for getting a $15 individual or $20 family permit: Having an Annual AZ State Trust Land Permit in your vehicle (8.5"x11" printed permit with signature & valid date stamp, along with pink rear-view mirror Hang Tag) alleviates any concerns that you are on State Trust Land illegally. I think it's cheap insurance to pay the $15 individual or $20 for family (2 adults and any minors less than 18y/o in a single vehicle) in order to avoid the aggravation and frustration - not to mention legal ramifications - of a Criminal Trespassing charge on State Trust Land. This is considered a 'Criminal' Misdemeanor, as the State wants to be sure you show up in court to address the ticket. Mailing in the Permit Request along with your check gets a valid permit returned in 3-4 days. Good for a year, the Permit gives you an affirmative defense against a Trespassing charge assuming no other illegal behaviors were witnessed by the officers that stop you.

Get the State Trust Land Permit at the Arizona State Land Department homepage (linked, in case they change their pages or the permits): Arizona State Land Department | Serving Arizona's Schools & Public Institutions Since 1915

Link to my ordeal of getting ticketed for NOT having a State Trust Land Permit: May24 - Table Mesa = Ticket, ARS13-1302(B) - Trespass w/o Trust Land Permit

I've become a proponent for the State Trust Land Permit process for the club - if only that I want to avoid any of you having to go through what I did. Please consider your options and make a decision that matches your risk preferences, but make that from an informed decision after weighing the factors and risks involved. I hope this information is helpful, and hope to see you all on the trail!
Bump 'cause this post is hard to find in the "sticky" section if you don't know where to look.

In case you need a permit for the upcoming Box Canyon run the permit application can be downloaded from here:

https://land.az.gov/sites/default/files/Recreation_Permit_0_3.pdf

Any geocachers should be happy that the state land department now officially allows geocaching activities on state trust land (with a valid state trust land permit of course!) - but recognizes that the state is not responsible for their safekeeping and may remove them if needed.

link to policy statement dated 2016-01-27:
Attention Geocachers: Please read the new GPS Based Recreational Activities policy here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom