Starting new build and possibly diesel swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 2006 Lx470. This is my third 100 series truck. The truck has been problem free for me. I hate the fuel economy and power of the current v8 gas engine. I plan to do the following.

1. ARB front and Rear bumpers with winch
2. Snorkel
3. Looking into a diesel engine swap. I spoke with dieseltoys in texas and they are looking to get 30k for the swap. I have done a few swaps in the past with Mercedes vehicles and feel I can handle the Toyota swap if I have all the parts. That being said, where can I get a 1HD-FTE complete package to perform the swap? Ebay australia?

4. I came across a 10" android replacement of the current nav system. I have already wired the money to China. Let's hope it arrives. I'l post pictures of progress as things move forward.

I'd be interested in that Nav too! does it power the AC controls and all? I know Alpine came out with their "restyle" series systems that look amazing. But $3k for a nav is stupid these days. I dont think anything of the sort should ever cost more than an iPad or the Surface Pro 3 I'm writing this on.

Try posting in the diesel section about the swap. There's a thread by Eleblanc detailing the process. For a factory swap with the wiring harness, etc and motor refresh I would think $20k US would be a good DIY budget. Injectors, turbo, IP Pump rebuilds, wiring harness and transmission add up. None of this is included by Dieseltoyz.

It would be a mistake having someone else do the work. Who's going to do maintenance and order / source parts long-term? Best to get acquainted from the get go, otherwise double your budget in maintenance costs.

IMHO worth it for 22 MPG and the simplicity that goes along with a HD motor. But only DIY.

Il try to reach out to him. I estimated about 20k also. I have a friend in Australia that can ship the items to me. Does anyone like if I would require the fuel tank as well?

See attached picture.

image.png

I'm curious to hear about how the nav replacement works. I don't see where it explicitly states that it has HVAC controls, but I can't see how they could produce a product that doesn't take that into account.

Could you share a rough idea of the cost of this unit?

Here is the "eleblanc" diesel conversion thread mentioned above:

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that it is for non navigation equipped trucks. I put an android head unit in my last truck and loved it .

Nope. They claim replacement for factory nav equipped cars and incorporates climate control also.

Macmann,
Nice find on the nav unit! I am sure there will be so many of us interested, I would say this deserves a thread of its own. I hope you can answer some questions once you get the unit installed/tested....
I have a few....
How do we update maps in the future? (not that we have an easy way now anyways....)
Did anyone see an SD or SIM card slot in any of the pictures/video?
Also did you notice there was no "auto" option for the air-recirculation?
I am also assuming it would let you choose units.....I need Km and DegC, but most in this forum would need imperial units.
I see a GPS antenna in the kit....wonder how good it is compared to OEM.
Can we use the OEM rear view camera or will need to replace with one compatible with the unit?

Very nice find. From watching the video it looks clear to me that the climate controls are functional from the "capacitive " touch screen model-it looks like it just taps into the existing operating system, the screen formating looks the same as on the factory display. I'm pretty stoked about this find. For around $500 if it's reliable, I'm in.

I did get some entertainment value from the install video- the background noise, traffic, the funny Asian music, and 3 guys involved in the install : 1 to hold the camera, the other to pass tools to the main guy who was trying to set a world record to fit the pin connectors to the head unit like he was solving a rubic cube.

Looks like the final fit is a bit rough, overall, but pretty clean nonetheless (check out the top of the trim above the screen here)...

full

Yes I agree not the best but atleast we can have an updated system for a 10 year old truck. The other alternative is adding a climate control panel from a Toyota Land Cruiser and aftermarket stereo system which I am ready to do if this fails.

I don't see why someone state side hasn't figured this out yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom