Starter issues, help please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having issues with starting my 77 BJ40. When I turn the key after I glo, I hear 1 click sound from the starter relay on the passenger side once I turn the key. I have read threads on here but wanted to hear if any of you have had this problem.
Battery is brand new, starter is 6 months old and appear to have good connections. Maybe a grounding issue? Bad starter relay?
This is a photo of my starter relay, appears to be aftermarket.

image.jpeg

When I got my BJ60 I had a similar issue. New batteries and connections looked good. I was about to rip into the starter (to clean up contacts) and or ignition when I thought I would look closer at my cables. I trimmed some insulation and realized the wires were green and corroded under the cleaned and good looking insulation. New power cables and battery connection terminals were installed and has not been an issue since.

Thank you, I will look deeper into all the connections and try to see if I am missing good contacts. Hate to pull the starter or buy a new relay switch with sorting out the simple, less expensive possible solutions.

That relay is definitely not OEM (based on what my relay looks like on my 1979) Jimmie.

RelayGlowStart.jpg

So it would be a prime suspect for me.

:beer:

Thank you Tom, I was looking at replacing the relay as I did notice yours in another post. That is where the single loud click comes from.

Try placing a voltmeter across the two large terminals when it has "clicked". It may have damaged contacts in which case you'll be able to see the voltage drop across it.

The first photo is a solenoid not a relay.

Well, the terms "solenoid" and "relay" are interchangeable in this instance in my view.

A 1977 BJ40 may not have a gear-reduction starter (I'm unsure) but if he was to have a gear-reduction starter like I have on my 1979 BJ40, then he'd have another solenoid there that:
  1. Pulls the starter motor's drive cog out to engage it with the flywheel's ring-gear, and then
  2. Acts as a relay to close the big electrical contacts that supply the juice to the windings of his starter motor.
Note that the relay/solenoid that Jimmie posted performs only the second function "of using a low-current circuit to close a pair of electrical contacts in a high-current circuit" (and this is exactly what a relay does).

Edit: Just checked ... It was Sept 1977 when the move was made to the gear-reduction starter so this BJ40 could be either way depending on month of build.

Last edited:
Ok, well the starter relay is fine. My next step would be to get underneath the LC and see if a possible poor gound could be the problem.
I am not saying there is no possibility it is a bad starter/solenoid as it was built in CR. but want to weed out all other possibilities first.
I have attached a pic of the starter as well.

image.jpg

Tom, it looks to be a gear-reduction starter?

Yes.

So it has the big electrical contacts (that I mentioned in my last post) inside the solenoid that is mounted on it. These contacts often burn/wear and are therefore often the source of the exact trouble you're having.

You can buy repair kits for them

StarterSolenoidRepairKit.jpg

By the way ... that thicker power lead to your starter looks a bit on the light side to me. (That's a 2.5kW starter so it draws over 200 amperes!)

But you say your starter is only 6mths old! I must say it looks older than that and I'm assuming you bought either a new second-hand one or a "reconditioned" one?

Thanks Tom,
I plan on replacing the power leads as well as the connectors. It was a rebuilt starter here in CR and not to get too detailed quality is not high on the list. I have been slowly re-wiring and fixing all the small issues this LC had.

Once the rain subsides I will dig into all the leads and then look at the possible rebuild for the solenoid if that's the issue. When I get this issue figured out I will post the results. Appreciate your help.

Problem solved. After looking at all the connections and testing the relay switch I determined those were fine. I pulled the starter and took off the cover for the solenoid only to notice the "plunger" was stuck. I removed and cleaned inside the sleeve, inspected the plunger and filed down the ruff edges. After it was smooth and would kick back out without any help I reassembled. She started perfect so time will tell. Pain in the ass for such a simple problem. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
Great work there Jimmie! Glad you got it sorted.:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom