Spring spacers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those aren't spacers....THESE are spacers. From the Japanese bubble era where common sense took the back seat to wild and careless spending. They were on the truck when I bought it. Ultra lightweight alloy spacers...$1300..

02E5FBC5-F784-451F-A0FE-A2D53A609911-13942-00000D433E560C26_zps43cd3eae.jpg

ok, I have some questions if you guys don't mind.....im running stock springs, and after almost 20 years [1996] I am finally seeing the ole stinkbug, especially after upsizing my tires to 315's. [at least they are making it more noticeable] anyway was wanting to get the stock height OME's [861/862], and thought the 861's were considered "heavy's", but am seeing posts saying that with my ARB/winch I may still have some rake?? don't want to lift, not crawling thru the rocks etc, and don't want issues with the driveshafts and/or the castor so stock height is what I want, or just the .75 that the OME's supposedly give, but some are posting needing the 25mm or 30mm spacers to keep the front level with the ARB/winch?

just trying to sort it all out before I order stuff up......and thanks

I was actually contemplating along your line of thought. I already have the 861/862 setup.
Since the rear is not so heavy (in case you run ARB front bumper and a winch), with the same size spacers (let's say 30mm all around) the front will look lower. In this case, I think, 20mm rear and 30mm front would be a better way to go if you don't have too many passengers and/or gear to haul around.
If you travel light or solo most of the time, having unequal spacers will probably be the way to go.
I was even thinking about taking the third row seats out when off roading just to lighten the load.

occasionally I tow a 23 foot boat, 5000lbs, stock rear springs seem to do fine, so not sure what will change when/if I go to the OME stock height setup, thinking I will try the front 861's first and see if I need spacers or not, then work my way to the rear as needed. hell for all I know, all I I need is the spacers in front to correct my stinkbug but im a sucker for some new and improved parts, especially when I bet the stock springs are weak after 18+ years

There will be a huge difference going from stock, tired springs to new stock height springs. Much more controlled and safer maneuvering.

There will be a huge difference going from stock, tired springs to new stock height springs. Much more controlled and safer maneuvering.
I can imagine, as my truck is almost 19 years old, im just trying to determine what I need, I called Christo this evening and he says I will just have to mount the 861's and then mount my ARB and then see if I need the spacers or not..so im going to order some up and see how it goes.....

Let me just say to you guys that you will love the 861/862. They give much "tighter" handling and about .5-1" lift over saggy springs. With stock bumpers and what not i think the truck is ABOUT level front to back. There are a few good threads with good pictures and stink bug dues not look bad with stock bumpers. I fave a aluminum TJM bumper that only weighs about 50lbs but i also have a big ass Warn M12000. In the rear i have remover third row AND 2nd row seats. i have a light weight sleeping platform that probably weighs less than the seats. I also have Metaltech sliders and a Gamaviti Roof rack.

For suspension i am running 861/862 with 10mm spacers all round. Then i added Man-a-free 30mm spacers also. they work fine with the thin 10mm spacers. So i have the 861/862 with 40mm added on all corners. Surprisingly i dont have bad stink bug. I think it would look better with the front a little higher or the rear a little lower. But at times i do load her up and i think a little stink bug is a good base line for her.

Here are the last measurement i got form hub center to fender flair.

LF 21.75 B spring RF 22.25 A spring

LR 22.25 RR 22.75

My plan is to swap the springs up front. I think the A spring belongs on the driver side. I think it is longer to compensate for the driver weight that is ALWAYS in the truck. It is only 10mm longer according to OME charts. If things are still crooked in back i will pull the 10mm spacer out of the right rear. But you can see that even with the big Warn M12000 i only have .5" stink bug. I think it looks a little more than that but not bad at all.

I have really looked over the OME charts. Although i think there is typos on them the 861/862 are not much shorter than some of the other springs. I have added 40mm which is about 1.5 inches. I think 850s up front with no spacers would give me about the same or a little more lift. The issue is that the matching 860 rears i think would be too tall and give a lot of stink bug unless i was to add a rear bumper. So for now i will stay with what i have.

PS if anyone cares i am running Fox 2.0 form Downsouth Motorsport. They are great! The shocks are inexpensive and i dont see any reason to go with something like Ironman or OME shocks. Sorry guys. But the fox were less than $500 for all 4. I know they are not the really cool remote reservoir or anything. But they feel great. I hope they continue to feel great after another 60,000 miles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom