spring over (rear axle) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just realized while reading a thread on the pirate forum that people actually do a SOA rear and a SUA front. I assumed that if you would do a SOA you would want front and rear. Would'nt the different spring flex characteristics make for a funny ride?

I thought of that too, but most cars have different types of springs front and rear. Most trucks have very different spring rates in the rear than in the front and it does give them unpleasant driving characteristics. I'm worried the 4" lift leafs in the rear of my 40 combined with the coils in the front are going to make it handle weird. i might just have to spring over the rear to soften it up, or just go straight to rear coils as well. :D

ok, all bs aside i've done three soa's on a 72-76-67. all are pretty basic, only turned the diff's about 4 or 5 degrees or so give or take. just so you have enough angle for the driveline to turn without hitting on itself. not rocket science just a good formula that work's for me. don't know if it's the wrong way the right way, but i have no vibration in any of my rig's and run 35's on two of them,75mph down the hwy is no problem. just my two cents
wheelie

I just realized while reading a thread on the pirate forum that people actually do a SOA rear and a SUA front. I assumed that if you would do a SOA you would want front and rear. Would'nt the different spring flex characteristics make for a funny ride?

Actually, I was SUA front (2.5" springs, Con-fer shackles), and SOA rear for about 7 months before I re-did the whole suspension on my cruiser..

Due mostly to crummy shackle angle and a little to the shocks, the rear flexed about evenly with the front.

Now that I've re-done the whole setup, the front flexes more than the rear, but it's OK... (she's got TONS of flex now)

One of the wheelers in my club has SOA rear, with SR/4" lift SUA front. Seems to work just fine, though I have yet to ask him why. He owns his own shop and could easily have a SOA front if he wanted. Maybe I'll ask him tomorrow and the club meeting and find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom