Split Case Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hugh Heifer

Less than 90 days!
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.stlca.org
I got a free split transfer case here on mud for a project and looked around but did not see a good thread on the rebuild of a split case so I figured I would do one.

The plan is an H55 and a split case in a 40 that I am going ground up on and the truck is to be a camping/lite trail and daily driver so to get where I want to be I want a 5 speed.

I scored a free late '80's FJ60 split case from a guy here on Mud. He also gave up a free autotrans from the 62 that will be going to Dieseldog once the split case is built as I need the tranny to hang the case off of for the build.

I also planned on doing as much of the rebuild as possible on December 8 at an STLCA wrench day in Manchester, TN and then posting up but when I found the carnage during the visual inventory of the parts I decided I had to post up. Sweet!

Here are a couple of pics of what I got:

Split Case 002.jpg

Split Case 003.jpg

There was no vacuum shifter attached and the plan is to convert it over to manual shift anyway so this will end up useful to those 60 and 62 clowns too!

And here is what may have made somebody decide to open it!!!! I believe this bearing has seen better days!

Xfer Case 007.jpg

So stay tuned. I am going to clean everything up for December 8th and hopefully end up with a useable, happy transfer case in the end.:popcorn:
Split Case 002.jpg
Split Case 003.jpg
Xfer Case 007.jpg

I rebuilt a split case with the H55 install-I've posted bunches of pics. Post up if you want some specifics, or do a search under my user name.

No offense, but I can see why that case was free. That looks like a rusty mess and I would not bother to use it unless this really is a project you don't care much about.

No offense, but I can see why that case was free. That looks like a rusty mess and I would not bother to use it unless this really is a project you don't care much about.
Oh I fully agree. But it is a hobby and I have often been told that I am good at turning nothing into something.

I am guessing you are refering to this thread and the two captioned in it? I will use that info to help out.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=47239

Last edited:
So I set off trying to see if I could get the gears and sundries clean first. If I could not to my satisfacton, I figured it would be a wash.

I glass blasted one, cleaned it and then oiled it with 90W and am happy with the result. Kinda a before and after:

11-18-07 010.jpg

I was pleased so I went about finishing disassembly.

I used a universal puller to remove the output shaft front bearing retainer:

11-18-07 001.jpg

And pressed out the front output shaft:

11-18-07 002.jpg

I am getting everything out of the case halves to get them hot dipped. Maybe I will get that done before Thanksgiving.
11-18-07 010.jpg
11-18-07 001.jpg
11-18-07 002.jpg

There's an h55 thread here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=156735 with some split case info. Cruiserbret and Cruiserdrew both helped save my ass on the oiler cup in the middle of my build.

That case looks pretty bad. I'm all about saving/salvaging old cruiser stuff but I'm not certain you want to put that much work into it. FWIW I think the experience will be great, you should just consider the fact that you MIGHT have to get another case depending on how this one turns out. But then again, the second one will be that much easier, right!:beer:

Last edited:
:eek: Man! thats a disgusting mess, I wouldn't have even gone public with that Fubar :rolleyes:

FWIW I think the experience will be great, you should just consider the fact that you MIGHT have to get another case depending on how this one turns out. But the again, the second one will be that much easier, right!:beer:
Now those are the type of words I am willing to listen to! Not a big deal if all it takes is cleaning and measuring to ensure everything is in tolerance. Nothing but the bearings look buggered and I am willing to spend the time.

C'mon guys! Let me have some fun here!

Last edited:
Now those are the type of words I am willing to listen to! Not a big deal if all it takes is cleaning and measuring to ensure everything is in tolerance. Nothing but the bearings look buggered and I am willing to spend the time.

C'mon guys! Let me have some fun here!

Go for it, Hugh. There's no reason not to pursue this rebuild. The price was right and your time is your own. Like as has been stated, there's a decent chance you'll wind up with something that won't be useable; however, the experience will be worthwhile. Keep us up-to-date.

Hugh....go for it Dude:cheers:; :princess:said the same about our pig....oh my gawd!!! are you outer yer mind.........just wait till the neighbors see this thang in the morning:grinpimp:.......proud for you taking the time to fix it:beer::cheers:

Lou

The key here is the condition of gear tooth mating surfaces... rust ( corrosion/ iron oxide) has already begun, thus pitting and weakening vital areas.... future use, the surfaces will flake-off the weakened teeth producing a fine metal-compound adding to the lubricating oil and spreading throughout the gear case reeking havoc on all new components......

Well I finally got the thing torn completely apart and most everythin looks okay.
The one thing that was interesting was when I was trying to press the bearings and gears off the rear output shaft I had some trouble. I was thinking that my 12 ton press wasn't enough or that there was an unseen spring clip. Turned out that the rear out put shaft bearing (or what was left of it) was seized to the shaft. Since I am using the Man-E-Fre parking break kit ($ouch$) I was not too concerned about injuring the shaft, only getting the gears off.
11-21-07 Xfer Case 002.jpg

I put heat on it and tapped it with a hammer and sprayed it with blaster and nothing. So I started grinding the bearing as I figured it must be seized.

Finally it did what I expected - POW! The bearing gave way and the thing came apart. Took forever to get to that.

Here is more carnage:

11-21-07 Xfer Case 003.jpg

11-21-07 Xfer Case 004.jpg
11-21-07 Xfer Case 002.jpg
11-21-07 Xfer Case 003.jpg
11-21-07 Xfer Case 004.jpg

Next I pressed out the idler shaft (it is garbage as there is one in the rebuild kit) and removed all the other seals and a seized broken bolt from the case.

11-21-07 Xfer Case 005.jpg

Next I went ahead and drilled and tapped the hole for the indent bolt, spring and ball for the front drive shift fork shaft. This case is from an FJ62 so it had no ident ball there, only on the high low.

This was pretty simple as there is a partial hole in the case to guide the drill. I drilled a 1/2 inch hole all the way through and tapped it with a 15mmx1.5 thread tap. (This is all info from the FJ60 FAQ section but I have to say the threads are not to clear on the procedure until you get into it.)

11-21-07 Xfer Case 013.jpg

I then checked to make sure it worked!

11-21-07 Xfer Case 014.jpg

I will have to either purchase another shift fork shaft with the indentations or put two indentations in the one I have once I get to the assembly.
11-21-07 Xfer Case 005.jpg
11-21-07 Xfer Case 013.jpg
11-21-07 Xfer Case 014.jpg

I also went ahead and tried to get the speedo shaft and gear out of the rear output shaft housing. The gear was stripped and when I tried to get the housing out it cracked so it will need to be replaced.

Here is a pick of the rear output shaft housing that came from Man-E-Fre with the parking brake kit. You can tell them apart as the one on the left is freaking filthy!!!

11-21-07 Xfer Case 015.jpg

Now if you try this and buy a rebuild kit, the kits do not come with the high and low gear bearings. You have to get these seperate and that is mentioned on the SOR site but not on the Man-E-Fre site. Why they do not include those bearings I have no idea, maybe most folks do not take the gears of the rear out put shaft when they do a rebuild but you would think that Man-E-Fre would have included them in their parking brake kit since you have to tear that down for the install of that. The other things the parkig brake kit did not come with is a backing plate and brake shoes but it did come with springs and those locking tabs. Again, this makes no sense (especially for the price I paid) as anyone installing this kit will not have any of those things on their rig! (Luckily I may in a junk pile).

A few other things on the shopping list are all new bolts, an idler gear lock plate (I could make this but why bother, they are cheap!) Thrust washers and a shim set, a second ident set up for the new hole, a high low outer lever and a speedo gear/shaft and housing.

The case is all torn apart now and ready to go to the local machine shop for a bath. And of course tomorrow is Turkey day and everything is closed so that will have to wait until Friday or Monday.

I took a ton of other pics of the seals and washers and shims and such but I will not bother to post all that up but will show the order of items when I assemble this thing.

Also all the gears are glean and I used that PB Corrosion Protection stuff on them to keep them that way until the 90w starts flowing over them. All the gears look great except the speedo gear. It has a nick in it and explains why the plastic gear was destroyed.
:cheers:
11-21-07 Xfer Case 015.jpg

Shim set.

Let me know what you find for that. I have only seen them individually for the split case.

I would be very skeptical of the serviceability of that case bud. I have not ever had one apart that the front main shaft bearing retainer needed a puller rigged up to remove it from the front half of the transfer case housing.

If you would not mind, see if you can find the macro setting on your camera, and take a few pictures of the transfer case input gear teeth.

There was some serious heat in that case bud.

:beer:

"Trotline weights".... would be the only suitable purpose for the gears that came with that case........

I will take the pics for you, Sean. I had to "rig" the puller becasue it is a pretty cheap one and once it casugt on the bearing retainer it came out easily. I can tell the Grant wants this experiment to tank. Thanks for giving me such encouragement.

As for the shim set, Bob at TPI said he had a set that ran $45 and Yooper mentioned somepne here on the board that has a loaner that he will send you and whatever you use, you replace and send the set back.

In other news, the local machine shop was closed today as I expected so the bath will have to wait for Monday. Also I guess Cdan took the day too and then Comcast took a s*** again so I decided to clean up the shop and then work on my broken w/w motor and met little success. So I blew that off, poured a drink and watched football.

I can tell the Grant wants this experiment to tank.

Nah..its not that... its just hard to believe those gears aren't anything but toast.. and as Poser stated on the front bearing retainer, it should be easily removed by hand and most cases it'll just fall out.....so carry-on Man! I won't disrupt this build any farther...GL..:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom