Spline count question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
Here is what I'm thinking about doing...I have 2 '72 fj40 3 speed transmissions. One is mated to a motor with no tcase and the other is mated to a tcase. I am thinking about mating both trannys together with the one tcase. But before I go tearing into either tranny, I needed to know if anyone knew the spline count on the shaft inside the tranny? Make sense? Hope someone can help.

I think you will run into length problems if you are thinking of a double three speed setup, unless its a LWB rig.
The input and output shafts are both ten spline, but the output shaft is larger diameter IIRC. With all the custom machining needed to couple these together, you're WAY better off doing something like a GM 4 speed swap.

Thanks for the info...
Here is the rest of the story. I am in the middle of an axle swap on my cruiser. My buddy, who helped me drop the motor and tranny, and I were thinking what we should do with all the extra parts...Engine, tranny, tcase, the other tranny, axles, wheels, tires etc. So we thought we'd put them all together and build a crawler. We would just need to fab a frame and cage. Most people who I talk to think I want to put both trannys in the cruiser. I don't. I like to try to put them in the rock crawler if I could. If anybody else has done this or has any info, please feel free to write.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom