Speedy Sleeve at main seal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DickM

SILVER Star
Threads
Any body have any info on installing a speedy sleeve on the crank shaft for the rear main seal? Either search (who is usually my friend) failed me or I had a linked series of senior moments. Any info/ experience ( or links) would be appreciated.

Although installation is simple, it should be done carefully to achieve the best results. Before starting, the sealing zone on the shaft should be carefully cleaned and any burrs or rough spots should be filed down and polished. Deep wear grooves, scratches or very rough surfaces should be treated with a suitable powdered metal epoxy filler. The sleeve must be positioned on the shaft before the filler has hardened.

It should also be noted that although Speedi-Sleeves can be easily installed within minutes on most shafts, they should not be placed over splines or keyways etc. on the shaft. As the thin-walled sleeve has an interference fit, any disturbances on the shaft surface may create a similar pattern on the sleeve surface and the seal will leak.

Choosing the right size
To determine the appropriate sleeve size it is first necessary to clean the shaft carefully. The diameter of an undamaged section of the seal counterface should then be measured in at least three different planes. The arithmetical mean of these measurements is used to choose a Speedi-Sleeve. If the value lies within the permissible range shown in the product table for the shaft diameter (A) then the Speedi-Sleeve will have an adequately tight fit on the shaft. The sleeve cannot turn on the shaft and no adhesive is required.

If no suitable sleeve is listed in the product table, then it will be necessary to rework the shaft to an appropriate dimension. This will also mean that a new size of seal will be required. If production quantities are viable, SKF will also make tailored sleeves.

SKF Speedi-Sleeve Installation
Note: If you can catch your fingernail in a seal wear track or shaft groove, a repair sleeve should be installed to prevent leakage.
1. Clean the shaft where the seal contacts the shaft. File down and polish any burrs or rough spots.
2. Measure the diameter where the sleeve will be positioned on an unworn portion of the shaft. Measure in three positions and average the readings (to insure the shaft is within recommended specifications). If the average diameter is within the range for a given sleeve size, there is sufficient press-fit built into the sleeve to prevent it from sliding or spinning without the need for cement adhesive.
3. Determine how far back the sleeve must be positioned to cover the old seal wear track. Measure to the exact point, or mark directly on the surface. The sleeve must be placed over the worn area, not just bottomed or left flush with the end of the shaft.
4. Shallow wear grooves do not require filling. Optionally, a light layer of non-hardening sealant can be applied to the inner surface of the sleeve. Clear away sealant that migrates to the outer sleeve surface.
5. If the shaft is deeply scored, (see note above) fill the groove with powdered metal epoxy type filler.* Install the sleeve before the filler hardens, allowing the sleeve to “wipe” off any excess filler. Clean away any residue and check that no filler is deposited on the sleeve O.D. surface.
6. Place installation tool over the sleeve. The flange end of the sleeve goes on the shaft first.
7. Gently tap the center of the tool until the sleeve covers the seal worn surface. If the installation tool supplied with the sleeve is too short, a length of pipe or tubing with a squared-off, burr-free end can be substituted. Use care not to scratch the precision ground sleeve O.D.
8. Leave the flange intact unless clearance is required. If the flange is to be removed, one precut of the flange perpendicular to the tear-off groove will aid in removal. Use heavy-duty side cutters or metal shears. Caution – cut only into the tear-off groove, not on to the finished sleeve surface. After positioning the sleeve, use standard pliers and flex the flange back and forth around its circumference and along the shaft axis. The flange will break loose along tear-off groove. Alternately, pry the flange away from the seal surface and twist it into a coil but take care not to lift the end of the sleeve off the shaft or it will leave a jagged edge. Flange removal must be done with care to avoid damage to sealing surface.
9. After the sleeve is installed, check again for burrs, which could damage the seal.
10. Lubricate the sleeve with the system media when installing the seal.
11. Proceed with the seal installation.

*Loctite “Quickmetal” (#66010) or similar works well for filling a groove and can be used as an adhesive or sealant if desired. Use of an adhesive can make the removal of the seal difficult.

SKF Speedi-Sleeve Removal
A Speedi-Sleeve can be dismounted in one of the following ways: by applying heat to the sleeve; by using a pair of wire cutters starting at or near the flange and applying a twisting action; by “peening” with a small hammer across the full width of the sleeve to expand it or, if accessible, by using a drift on the flange. A Speedi-Sleeve cannot be reused.

bsevans, thanks for the review and info.As always you are thorough! I have installed sleeves on the front and rear output shafts in the past, and have read about other installs, but have never read about the main crank shaft seal install. Any body done one? What were the results like?
At this point with everything behind it out, I was hoping for some positive input for this solution to my issues. Anybody?

I went to NAPA, and with some research found an SKF Speedi Sleeve called out for the crankshaft main seal -#99393 for a shaft diameter of 3.935 to 3.941 inches. Ordered it, got it home and slid it on to the shaft by hand with no effort. It was really loose by wear sleeve standards-by slipping feeler gauges in the space it appears to be .015 to.018 too large-too much so to consider adhesive as an option. In addition the width of the wear surface was too wide to work. Timken(National) and Dichtomatik call out the same sleeve dimensions with even the same # as SKF. None of them have a sleeve even close to what I need !

So,WTF do i do now? Do I drop the crank, have it machined and sleeved back to '78 2F spec (which by the way, I don't even know at this point)? Look to replace the crankshaft? I'll talk to machine shops tomorrow but in the mean time, anybody got any other options/input? I could use it. This is getting a little more complicated than I had hoped!:crybaby:

F/2F rear crankshaft sealing surface diameter:

3.918"

99.53mm

There is not a wear sleeve made for this application....Nor is there one made for the 1FZ crank...

:meh:

Poser- thanks for the info at the correct spec. Found a shop in Denver that can resurface/grind to factory spec-hopefully good as new.

Poser- thanks for the info at the correct spec. Found a shop in Denver that can resurface/grind to factory spec-hopefully good as new.

Interesting.

Post up what that ends up costing and the name of the shop.

:beer:

Shop is Colorado Crankshafts 360 Vallejo Denver
Kevin 303-936-5857
Should have the motor out this weekend and the crank to Denver early next week. I will know something about pricing after Kevin looks at it.
Pictures coming at some point.

Shop is Colorado Crankshafts 360 Vallejo Denver
Kevin 303-936-5857
Should have the motor out this weekend and the crank to Denver early next week. I will know something about pricing after Kevin looks at it.
Pictures coming at some point.

So I wonder what happened....

I never took it to Denver to get the main seal area resurfaced, I just got a remanufactured one with all new bearings from the local NAPA for about $200. The work in Denver was $100 minimum plus gas and time for the (2) 260 mile round trips over two high mountain passes. The dollars(and time factor) didn't work to go that route. I wheeled the motor all summer and everything seems to be good. HTH, and Happy Holidays!

Although installation is simple, it should be done carefully to achieve the best results. Before starting, the sealing zone on the shaft should be carefully cleaned and any burrs or rough spots should be filed down and polished. Deep wear grooves, scratches or very rough surfaces should be treated with a suitable powdered metal epoxy filler. The sleeve must be positioned on the shaft before the filler has hardened.

It should also be noted that although Speedi-Sleeves can be easily installed within minutes on most shafts, they should not be placed over splines or keyways etc. on the shaft. As the thin-walled sleeve has an interference fit, any disturbances on the shaft surface may create a similar pattern on the sleeve surface and the seal will leak.

Choosing the right size
To determine the appropriate sleeve size it is first necessary to clean the shaft carefully. The diameter of an undamaged section of the seal counterface should then be measured in at least three different planes. The arithmetical mean of these measurements is used to choose a Speedi-Sleeve. If the value lies within the permissible range shown in the product table for the shaft diameter (A) then the Speedi-Sleeve will have an adequately tight fit on the shaft. The sleeve cannot turn on the shaft and no adhesive is required.

If no suitable sleeve is listed in the product table, then it will be necessary to rework the shaft to an appropriate dimension. This will also mean that a new size of seal will be required. If production quantities are viable, SKF will also make tailored sleeves.

SKF Speedi-Sleeve Installation
Note: If you can catch your fingernail in a seal wear track or shaft groove, a repair sleeve should be installed to prevent leakage.
1. Clean the shaft where the seal contacts the shaft. File down and polish any burrs or rough spots.
2. Measure the diameter where the sleeve will be positioned on an unworn portion of the shaft. Measure in three positions and average the readings (to insure the shaft is within recommended specifications). If the average diameter is within the range for a given sleeve size, there is sufficient press-fit built into the sleeve to prevent it from sliding or spinning without the need for cement adhesive.
3. Determine how far back the sleeve must be positioned to cover the old seal wear track. Measure to the exact point, or mark directly on the surface. The sleeve must be placed over the worn area, not just bottomed or left flush with the end of the shaft.
4. Shallow wear grooves do not require filling. Optionally, a light layer of non-hardening sealant can be applied to the inner surface of the sleeve. Clear away sealant that migrates to the outer sleeve surface.
5. If the shaft is deeply scored, (see note above) fill the groove with powdered metal epoxy type filler.* Install the sleeve before the filler hardens, allowing the sleeve to “wipe” off any excess filler. Clean away any residue and check that no filler is deposited on the sleeve O.D. surface.
6. Place installation tool over the sleeve. The flange end of the sleeve goes on the shaft first.
7. Gently tap the center of the tool until the sleeve covers the seal worn surface. If the installation tool supplied with the sleeve is too short, a length of pipe or tubing with a squared-off, burr-free end can be substituted. Use care not to scratch the precision ground sleeve O.D.
8. Leave the flange intact unless clearance is required. If the flange is to be removed, one precut of the flange perpendicular to the tear-off groove will aid in removal. Use heavy-duty side cutters or metal shears. Caution – cut only into the tear-off groove, not on to the finished sleeve surface. After positioning the sleeve, use standard pliers and flex the flange back and forth around its circumference and along the shaft axis. The flange will break loose along tear-off groove. Alternately, pry the flange away from the seal surface and twist it into a coil but take care not to lift the end of the sleeve off the shaft or it will leave a jagged edge. Flange removal must be done with care to avoid damage to sealing surface.
9. After the sleeve is installed, check again for burrs, which could damage the seal.
10. Lubricate the sleeve with the system media when installing the seal.
11. Proceed with the seal installation.

*Loctite “Quickmetal” (#66010) or similar works well for filling a groove and can be used as an adhesive or sealant if desired. Use of an adhesive can make the removal of the seal difficult.

SKF Speedi-Sleeve Removal
A Speedi-Sleeve can be dismounted in one of the following ways: by applying heat to the sleeve; by using a pair of wire cutters starting at or near the flange and applying a twisting action; by “peening” with a small hammer across the full width of the sleeve to expand it or, if accessible, by using a drift on the flange. A Speedi-Sleeve cannot be reused.

http://www.fleetservicesinc.com/RNLpdfs/Rolling Qtr4 '08.pdf

:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom