Spartan Crate vs GM Crate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At the end of my last trail run in the 40 at PYS my SBC started up a nasty knock, and got worse at home. Long story short, the ole 400 small block is toast, spun bearings, no oil pressure in the top. Tracing the numbers it turns out this old girl was a whopping 175 HP out of a station wagon.
So I'm debating long block crate motors and wondering if anybody has any experience good or bad with Spartan Crate motors (Advance Auto). There is a little savings with the Spartan over the GM but if the GM is better, which I am inclined to think it is, I would rather go with the GM. The guy I have doing the work (so it gets done this decade and correctly and hopefully by Hoedown) gets a smoking deal with his discount and is not marking it up to me. We do each other favors (not that kind Tony). He doesn't have exact figures yet but generally it might be an additional $600 for the GM motor over the Spartan. Warranty is similar.
Any thoughts?

in 1997 Gm came out with the new small block. It was the third generation of the 1957 small block and the first real overhaul. They called it the Gen III small block, or the GM small block as opposed to the Chevy small block. many, many improvements. in 07 they put VVT on it and called it the Gen IV. 300,000 mile engines that make twice the power and get better mileage and run better and smoother than the old tree fitty.

LQ4 is the iron block 6.0L version of the Gen III motor. came in a few million 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks. 99/00 had iron heads and cable throttle. 01-07 have aluminum heads and drive by wire. 300hp/300 ft lbs+. I have the aluminum head version in the pig now and just pulled a 260,000 mile iron head one out of the 45 to swap in a newly rebuilt and slightly massaged aluminum head one.

GM makes a s*** ton of crate versions including ones that are made to be stand alone drop ins.

Gotcha.....thank you Mr Ballard

What Professor Ballard said.

I'm going with a Summit motor which is a GM crate long block then Summit adds a 600 cfm carb (elec choke), intake, harmonic balancer, HEI dist, blah blah, basically complete except for a flywheel. This is what I will call a "Gappy motor", mild, entry level small block. Still more motor than a Gappy will ever need in a 40. I never even used all that my old motor had to offer so I'm not going fancy. I need something reliable and bread and butterish.

Bread & butter is good...that's how I'd do it.....course, I'd add some pepperoni. ...maybe some hot sauce & onions. ..and some cheese, definitely some cheese. And some jalapeños and sausage.

And salami

And some of those hot & spicy pickles from Clausen.

But otherwise it'd be bread & butter, yeah, cause I like to keep it simple.

I'm just wondering why no fuel injection? I've been VERY lucky with my engine in the 40, old crate motor my bro-in -law had sitting in the garage, not touched it in years and ran flawlessly. But always said if any problems arose I would go to fuel injection. So again I ask why no fuel injection?

Booty I always thought you had fool injection?

I don't have a good answer Mark other than keeping it simple and trying to keep the cost down.

I can't get past the spicy pickles. Clausen rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom