Something Major Have Gone Wrong   (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Re: Something Major Have Gone Wrong  

I vote for #3 as well. When you get a good guy, they know what they're doing. It's not worth $1,500 to do it elsewhere

Cheers, Hugh

I make it 4 for 3

Ask if you can watch.................

That way you'll be set when it's your turn to do it.

BTW, I bet the reason they want you to stick to the original dealer is as follows: If the technician botched the job it is a "come-back" and the dealer swallows it as opposed to warranty paying for the repair. Just speculation on my part.

The job is not rocket science. I say go for option 3. Ask them if you can see all the parts when cleaned and inspect them. Catch is you have to know what to look for. Check the bushings inside the spindle for wear, the spindle outside, the bearing races and bearings themselves and the seal surfaces.

Use this as an educational experience and try to understand or ask what each part does and how it works. Shops normally would not like you in there when the work is being done for a good reason. Insurance is one of them, but it also distracts the tech doing the work and takes more time. However with your history with them, they should oblige you.

If a guy is a master mechanic at Lexus, he should be able to do the job.

Just remember, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Al, definately go with #3. I'd expect that the dealer on the third try had their best mechanic on it already. And I'm sure Lexus will put their best guy with this sort of problem on it as well at this point. I suspect that one possible problem was that the first guy in, made an error in reassembly that was replecated on the following jobs. Nothing like a fresh set of eyes to see things differently and spot the problem. I can't tell you how many times for hours I've been staring right at the solution and had somebody else walk up and point it out to me. You can get blind to the problem because in your mind things have been checked and confirmed ok and you tend to look past them.

To All,

I really appreaciate your input and feed back on the subject matter.

I was leaning with option 3 as well this morning as I thinking it through.

I will be placing a phone call to lexus HQ and arrange for the work to be completed in the next week or so today, and definitly I will be seeking your recomendations in being present during the dissasembly and the assembly of the front axle and I will watch and ask questions.

Again thanks guys for your thoughts and direction regarding this subject, I will be posting what they have found out from damaged parts or what they have replalaced this time coming around.

Thanks

Al

Re:Something Major Have Gone Wrong  

To All,

I wanted to update all of you with the status of my truck without starting a new post.......

As you know Lexus had called for their Master Field Tech. to over look the process of taking the front axles apart then re-install them properly after some multiple attempts by the dealer without success as you know.

Here is what I was told 2 minutes ago over the phone:

-The axles (outer & Inner) are in great shape, No wear, tear & defects whatsoever.

-The seals are holding just fine, no leakage from them to the knuckles whatsoever. (although the oil was confirmed contaminated by another Lexus dealer).

-He checked all other components for wear and tear, and all registered fine.

-although when they drained the diff. fluid, he said it was less than normal, and a piece of metal came out as well. ( I asked them to keep that piece of metal aside for me to pick up so I can see what the heck is it), mind you, he does not know where it came from as well.

-He did not do any further testing to the vehicle, all he can suspect if the pop and grab feel I experienced comes again or persist, it might point to the Center Disc in the diff.

My question to you guys is:

I have no options except to buy what he is saying, I do not know if he is covering for the dealer's errors or not (so I do not have to lose trust in the dealer maintenance dept.), but could a bad birfield install result in damaging a Center Disc ?

I will be pick up the truck in a couple of hours and I will be testing it for my self later today in off road territory I became familiar with not long ago.

Thanks guys for your thoughts and direction in advance.

Al

to be honest I didn't read all the replies. But 2 things I would check.

1st the drive flanges, it might be that they are worn out/striped. These IMOP are a wear item and should be replaced every 100k+-

2nd, ,make sure the calipers are not loose, seen this more than once.

both these are easy to check.

other than that I dunno.

FWIW a bad motor mount would make anything make any noise, I had a bad mount for over a year.....effected nothing, cept the t-case lever would move to the right a few inch's :)

John H

" replaced the brass bushing in the spindle "...

Which, by experience, I know is a B*TCH!!!

Hope that's not it, although that'd be a cheap fix.

Christo-

Your replacement parts should be on their way by tomorrow or Friday. Thanks so much for your help and information. Top notch customer support, as always!

J

To All,

Just came back with the truck from the dealer, these are my observations:

-The truck drives like the way it should be, at least I do not get any pop and grab action anymore. ( I will wheel it later today to see if I still experience any issues with it when it is under load).

-The piece of metal that they were claiming is 1/2 the size of your clipped pinky nail finger (it appears to me and to my brother who came with me as if it came from the drain plug screw it self, like a piece that broke off of it or the place that goes to it).

-They claimed that they checked the T-Case fluid and the oil was low and dark in color, (Note: I had the oil changed 3 months ago with Mobile 1 and the old oil came out golden honey, and I had it checked 2 weeks ago as well and it was golden honey as well) I think they are making this up as they did not reference that on the invoice.

-I believe that they fixed what ever it was wrong with it and they are not going to claim their wrong doing in writing.

Just wanted to thank all who contributed to this thread with ideas and thoughts, you are the best there is out there when it comes to tech. knowledge, and this site is absolutely valuable.

Thank you guys for everything again.

Note: I will post my observation later today or tomorrow after I wheel the truck.

Al

I once heard the the canadian 70 series mining trucks used/did something intersting. they would drill the outer birfield shaft then pump grease in from the outside! I think Rick D. told me this.....sounds like a slick idea.

John H

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=1686;start=msg10841#msg10841 date=1056478625]
There is a tool made by AST. it is a bushing greasing thingy. The number on the tool is TOY 140. it intended to be used to grease the spindle bushings on IFS trucks. Basicly it is a cap that threads over the end of the spindle(same threads as the spindle nuts). It has a grease fitting in the end. You take the drive flange off and screw it on the end of the spindle and pump away. Since the cruiser and truck have the same threads I don't see why it wouldn't work on a cruiser. I think it would be difficult to over grease it as the grease would just go into the knuckle. (As long as you didn't go nuts pumpin' away)
[/quote]

John,

I know for sure that there is a plug hole that you can pump in moly grease through it to the knuckles, it is next to where the ABS sensor is, although the majority of the members here on the website do not believe that this will lubricate/pack your birfields, you still have to take them apart to do so.

My $0.02

Thanks

Al.

well yes there is a plug on all Cruiser knuckles(at least on all 10 of mine) but this just fills the knuckle housing like you said. what I am talking about fills the birfield itself without taking it apart, just pump grease in thru the outer shaft, something they do on the mine trucks(70 series) as they see extreme duty.

where is Rick when ya need him?.....oh wait I know ;)

Johh

[quote author=Desertmaster link=board=2;threadid=1686;start=msg35664#msg35664 date=1062014042]
John,

I know for sure that there is a plug hole that you can pump in moly grease through it to the knuckles, it is next to where the ABS sensor is, although the majority of the members here on the website do not believe that this will lubricate/pack your birfields, you still have to take them apart to do so.

My $0.02

Thanks

Al.

[/quote]

Well, I suggest the BB software guys move the "post" and "reset form" buttons a little farther apart since I just found out what happens when you spend 10 minutes in the quick-reply box below and hit the wrong one. The gist of my post is that the front diff housing will retain a lot of grease that will continue to contaminate the gear oil long after you've put new seals in it. I short changed mine 3 times after replacing my seals and repacking the birfs and it still comes out off color. (now carefully reaching for the "post" button - careful, easy boy....)

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=1686;start=msg35673#msg35673 date=1062015729]
well yes there is a plug on all Cruiser knuckles(at least on all 10 of mine) but this just fills the knuckle housing like you said. what I am talking about fills the birfield itself without taking it apart, just pump grease in thru the outer shaft, something they do on the mine trucks(70 series) as they see extreme duty.

where is Rick when ya need him?.....oh wait I know ;)

Johh
[/quote]

John -

Around the campfire one night, I proposed gundrilling the birf all the way thru so that you could grease it. However, if you have ever tried to do this with a bolt (like for a shackle) it is a major pita. I doubt it would compromise strength much... Pull the plate, thread in the zirk and pump it up.

I decided it wasn't worth pursuing because normally the front end of my wheeling rig comes apart before I lose a seal anyway. I have only once had a seal fail once I had redone it. The rest of the time I have gone in for some other reason...

Could be worth it on an 80 since it is on the street and full time.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom