some h55f and split case tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Other side of first generation case half.

1422820106692.jpg

2nd generation 34mm case. Note that there's a 5th gear oiler provision but just like the 1st generation there's no bolt boss below the main shaft.

1422820405900.jpg

I don't have a 38mm case torn apart right now or I'd post a pic. I'll try to get to it this week but I doubt it'll happen. Leaving Tuesday evening to pitcrew at KOH.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Any luck on getting the pictures of the two top covers? Curious if some of the parts from the 60 series cover can be used in the 40 cover?

Second question. On a H55F from a 4X series will the casting for the transfer case shifter bolt being further forward to match the shifter?

This should be a sticky along with a good thread of split case differences including the gearing ratios.

What do you mean "shifter bolt" on the transfer case? The pivot for the transfer case shifters are on the transmission.

What do you mean "shifter bolt" on the transfer case? The pivot for the transfer case shifters are on the transmission.

I realize that. My question since the Transmission and transfer shifter pretty much line up where they go thru the floor and 60 series is further back with a H55F meant for a 60 series and using a 40 shifter transmission shifter won't the transfer be further back to line up where a 60 series would be? The transfer pivots off a bolt that threads into a casting on the side of the transmission. Wouldn't that casting be in a different location? If going to all the trouble of tracking a 40 series shifter I wouldn't want the transfer case shifter in a location other then stock opening FJ40 floor. If you have way to reference that location it's shouldn't a problem but I'm thinking in the 40 series application the T/case shifters will be different.

First generation floor T/case shifter in the 40 series was used on both three and four speeds. Toyota handled the longer length of the four speed by increasing the length of the 4WD rod on the T/case and longer linkage going to high/low shifter. Might be the same way with the split case. If so that would require different T/case or at least a longer rod and longer linkage.

Last edited:
The pivot bolt boss on the transmission case is in the same location, regardless of 40/60/70 application.
The pivot location does move toward the rear on a H55 (or long H42) transmission housing, vs 84-earlier H4x transmission case.

The t-case shift lever is bent different for different OEM applications. An O/A torch can accomplish the same thing if the shifter isn't quite lining up with an existing hole in the floor.

So, back to different case conditions. This is a 9/84 splitcase with 34mm idler. It has the provision for the oiler cup, and a hole that should have been plugged when the h55f was mated to it.

Attachments

• Transfer Case Hole.pdf
    279.9 KB · Views: 319
  • Transfer Case Hole plugged.pdf
    264.4 KB · Views: 261
Leftover parts.

Toyota ain't stupid. They will use up ever last part no matter the demarcation--especially back then.

So, the moral of the story is ,regardless of case condition, when swapping a splitcase onto a H55f, leave no hole unplugged between the tranny/transfer.

So, back to different case conditions. This is a 9/84 splitcase with 34mm idler. It has the provision for the oiler cup, and a hole that should have been plugged when the h55f was mated to it.

So that case was drilled like that from the factory? Or someone did that in the past?

That would be really weird if Toyota had done that, but I wouldn't doubt they would still use it.

I'm guessing this 9/84 split-case was bolted to a "short" H42 originally?

AFAIK, the case was original. And, yes, it was bolted to "no spacer" H42.

AFAIK, the case was original. And, yes, it was bolted to "no spacer" H42.

Weird. Glad you got it fixed, never have seen something like that before.

Bringing this thread back to life. I have a 40-series top cover at the shop right now. Will post some pics to show the difference between it and the 60-series cover.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Did you ever get to take a picture of this?

Thanks for all the detail Georg!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom