some h55f and split case tech (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

"short" main shaft splines.

Interesting. I have a vacuum shift with 38mm idler yet the splines extend under the bearing. I presume this means my h42 34mm will fit ok?

image-3513008718.jpg

Yes. Won't be an issue.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

I am in the process of fixing my fj73 up with the intentions of installing an ls1 at a later date. I have been trying to find threads on beefing up the transmission to handle a bit more power and just to freshen it up but to no avail. If anyone could help with that i would appreciate it. Also rusty mentioned something about t-cases with different ratios? is that just between the manual shift and vacuum or a different t-case altogether? also i never quite understood fully which input shaft and gear is the stronger of the 2...
thanks

You won't break the H55 with an LS1. Unless you're making a lot of power.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Any oil recommendations for a new H55F? I'll be installing one soon and since I've dropped a chunk of money on it I would like to have confidence in the oil that will to into it. The 5 Speed Repair Manual (#223-08-5SPD) calls for API GL4, 5. But in light of some of the recent discussion around the GL4 vs 5 oils and sychro degradation is a GL4-5 oil ok? I've been looking around for a GL4 only oil and it's nearly unobtainable or cost prohibitive.

This is what I have evolved into using for my H55F and transfer case:

Mobil Delvac Synthetic Transmission Fluid 50
SAE 50 = 90wt Gear Oil (see attached pdf)
Is a little thicker than the thin 75W-90 gear oils most people use and it matches Toyota's recommended gear oil spec precisely. API GL-4 SAE 90.

Toyota engineers never recommended 75W-90 for the H55F (or 4 speed) and still don't to this day, regardless of ambient temperature. The oil spec for the H55F has not changed in 26 years.

The transmission runs a little quieter and shifts smoother (when warm) with this oil compared to 75W-90 or 80W-90. On cold mornings it takes a few minutes longer to warm up for smooth shifts compared to the thinner oils.

It will probably weep slower past leaking internal oil seals (if you have them) than the thinner grades as well.
It is sold at Zoro by the gallon.

Delvac-50.jpg

Mobil-Delvac-50-back.jpg

Attachments

• Mobil Delvac Synthetic Transmission Fluid 50.pdf
    75.3 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
I have a 1982 FJ40 trans/xfer on my garage floor (bought them without the truck) - is there an easy way to tell if the xfer case is pre or post 10/82?

The 40-series usually had the "early" split case. These go not have the provision for the 5th gear oiler.
Does your case have a 4wd pressure switch on the front case half?
Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Bringing this thread back to life. I have a 40-series top cover at the shop right now. Will post some pics to show the difference between it and the 60-series cover.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

George- I used one of your prior pictures and pointed to a particular bolt you have on the transfer case.

Is this the typical spot where fluids get pumped up into the transmission from the transfer case? Is this where it would be permanently blocked if you want to stop that from happening?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422807082.654180.jpg

No. That is one if the main case bolts. It screws into the transmission extension housing and goes into a "dead" hole, not into a fluid passage.
If you're running a 38mm split case from a long H42, then you have to plug the hole located directly 3" below the transmission main shaft in the front housing if the tcase. I usually tap the hole to the next size domestic pipe thread and install a pipe plug with anaerobic sealer.

Hth

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

I can post a pic later today if that helps. Need to go to the shop to build a transmission and tcase combo anyways .......

Excellent, thanks Georg. The pic would help for sure. My assumption is you cant get to it w/o removing the gears in the main shaft?

You can remove the input gear to get to it.

Inside of the front case half. This is a 3rd generation 34mm case. All the 3rd generation 34mm and newer cases have the provision for the hole. But only the 5/85 and newer cases came with the open passage from the factory.

1422819774344.jpg

Last edited:
This is a first generation front case half. No 5th gear oiler provision and no bolt hole or boss below the Trans main shaft.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

1422820022480.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom