Soft Top Availability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I loved the cheapness and availability of the old kayline replacement tops...too bad they are not around any longer. cost like $560 new in 97?

I got this one from MAF in 1994 and paid $420 with $20 shipping.
001012.jpg

It is amazing what was out there before as compared to now. I am still turning over the rocks in my search for one.

Just hard to think about paying $2,500 for just a top. I paid $150 for the white top including bows and doors in the mid ninties. Bought the black top off mud a couple of years ago with bows for $200. Keep you eyes open deals can be found.

'' Keep you eyes open deals can be found.'' <<<<This ,its how i found my Paki top use here on mud,on a topic not related for sale,just a claim from a buyer to the seller..ended for $240.00 shipped to my door,of course i have to fix the straps and zippers,was '' Black canvas" on time in his life now almost grey. But its make a huge old school look
P1090338.jpg
P1090804.jpg
P1100823.jpg

Now that that I have found out that there is just not much out there. Does anyone have the measurments to reproduce the bows. My brother-in-law manages a yatch works facility, he should be able to find me someone that can bend the bows for me. I was able to find an older Kayline unfortunatly he does not have the bows. It is on the way. I will see if I can post a picture the seller sent me. Does Pilgrims still produce and import bows? Has anyone used realsteel?

Again anyone with infomation on obtaining some bows, or the demensions in order that I may build a set. I will still be turnig over the rocks.

Thanks
5V15Q15W33k93md3p1bc7d734f2519ebb175b.jpg Ok!
5V15Q15W33k93md3p1bc7d734f2519ebb175b.jpg

I knew it is was not a OEM top, but it is a good quality Kayline and it is the style that I was looking for. I have to start somewhere. Can you explain more about the eight snaps I don't understand your statement.

I'll speak up... the quality of my Badger top on my FJ25 is unlike any other top I've seen. The material is not canvas, it is the same material that Porsche and Audi use for their convertible tops. There is no shrinking or stretching or fading due to UV exposure. There is no need to treat it. The stitching and webbing is also UV resistant and all of the hardware is stainless or brass, no corrosion at all. After 4 years, it still looks the same as when I got it. Perfect.

tn_oct01_0013.jpg

Mike

They are planning one but expect the top alone to be $2500+. Badger makes a nice but expensive product.

They look great! Do they produce them for the FJ40? If one is doing a renovation and plans on keeping the truck, why not put the money into staying warm and dry.

What is the Badger web site?

Dolan 1983 said:
They look great! Do they produce them for the FJ40? If one is doing a renovation and plans on keeping the truck, why not put the money into staying warm and dry.

What is the Badger web site?

They don't make one yet. It is in the works, but they need a few missing pieces to their bow set. There is a member of Yankee Toys that lives in the next town over from Badger and they will be using his truck to mock up a top when the time comes. It will in fact be in the $2,500 neighborhood, not including bows according to Chris at Badger.

I have to start somewhere. Can you explain more about the eight snaps I don't understand your statement.

the soft door used snaps along the front of the door...see the pic...also the top you have is for the soft doors...the hard door version kayline tapers in to match the oem hard doors

you can make the bows easy...just look ot the pdf's in the link i posted before...you will need to modify the area just behind the door or the top will have a gap there..alil ingenuity can make it happen :)
soft top.JPG

oddity in factory bow

The red bows and black top were off a 67.
The white bows and white with tinted windows top was off a 69.
The new white top I bought in 94 is fitted to 73 bows.

67 and 73 bows are the same as are another set of bows I have. The rear bow from the 69 is about two inches shorter and the Kayline replacement top with tinted windows with only work with the 69 bows. The rear bow does not appear to be cut down and the top fits fine at the B pillar location that is the same as the other sets. So did Toyota make a change with a lower top in the rear in 69? Anyone have some parts books from around that time to see if this was just a funky top and someone did a clean job of cutting off the rear bow or 69 have a different top?

The rear bow from the 69 is about two inches shorter and the Kayline replacement top with tinted windows with only work with the 69 bows.

... this was just a funky top and someone did a clean job of cutting off the rear bow or 69 have a different top?

My money is on the clean cut. As I understand all the bows are supposed to be the same. It would be very strange to find an outlying year in the middle that was different.

My money is on the clean cut. As I understand all the bows are supposed to be the same. It would be very strange to find an outlying year in the middle that was different.

I would completely agree except for the replacement Kayline top matching these bows. I've tried to stretch this top on other bows and no way. This was in the AZ heat which would make it easier:meh: I know not all bows were all the same. Have enough sets to see very small changes. This short back bow is really odd. I do know the tube part of the hard top sides is the same size and could easily be used to lenghten it. A piece of tie rod will fit nicely inside at the joint for strength.

I also found this thread strange. It's said around 74 the sides angle in more. Still don't believe it. The sides angled in on the hard tops at least back to late 67 and I guessing to mid 65 when the corrugated top went away. My 65 FJ45LP-B has teh angle in the B pillar. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/230592-soft-top-bows.html

After seeing that there is still a shortage of soft tops and bows I'm going to be working on trying to fill the gap. I have read the whole tread on OCD tops and see there is quite a backlog. I also see that there is quite a demand.

I am going to be bringing in 5 sets of bows and 5 soft tops around the end of Jan. I haven't decided on exact style colors or materials though. If the demand is there and people are happy with the quality a few months later I am going to start stocking the more popular styles here in the states. If one feels like waiting they can always do a custom order. But this should allow people to buy a top and actually have it within a week instead of a year.

What is it that most people are wanting? It appears what OCD is making and what Eshan used to make is the preferred style (I know I had ordered an older Eshan 7 window top back in the day but never used it.) Can be had in a nice quality vinyl or a canvas (brand of material not known yet). The bows will be standard reproduction bows.

The first set will consist of 2 sets for a FJ43 (1 of which will go on my FJ43) and the other 3 for FJ40's. Let me know and lets see if I can help quench this thirst for soft tops here. The dry spell has to end eventually. I may bring in more if someone would want to pre-order a top and I could provide a picture of what it would look like to them at that time.

Hope this helps the thread.

Let me know what you are able to supply. I started this string to find out what was available. You are right about the need. I am still looking and in need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom