Soft Top Availability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is sad. I love this top and thought a spare would be nice. With all the interest you would think there would be more alternatives.

fireflyr said:
That is sad. I love this top and thought a spare would be nice. With all the interest you would think there would be more alternatives.

The surprising thing is that the alternatives, SOR and CruiserCorps aren't building what the people want.

ATTENTION!!
We have not committed this to production. We have only made a pro-type that Sea Knight has seen in our shop.
Currently our costs in producing this Soft Top is more than expected. We don't want to make something too expensive for our cost-contentious customers.

Thank you.
Scott Warren - GM

im going to bring a pic of fireflyr's top to a high quality marine canvas shop and see what they can build from the photo and get a price as well. Some of these Marine upholstery shops are quite good at what they do, as they have to custom build every cover and top they build.
What bows would be considered the same as what fireflyr has there...??

A couple of years ago Marv Specter and his wife showed up to one of our rallys in a 70 series. They took a bunch of pictures of my top and said they would be producing one soon. I was really disappointed in what was released. I can see keeping the options to a minimum to keep production costs down, but you still have to produce something that the people want. Very nice people but not what I want on my 40.

CIMG1283.jpg

I know a marine upholstery guy that is awesome.... He does luxury yachts and wakeboard boats too. I will be interested in what he says about this top and trying to reproduce it to close spec.
Ill post back when I get the answers.

SLC Top Shop?

There was some guy who recently posted that he'd gotten a quote of $550 for a custom 40 soft top from an upholstery shop in Salt Lake City. Unfortunately I can't remember his name. Maybe he'll spot this thread and provide more info.

im going to bring a pic of fireflyr's top to a high quality marine canvas shop and see what they can build from the photo and get a price as well. Some of these Marine upholstery shops are quite good at what they do, as they have to custom build every cover and top they build.
What bows would be considered the same as what fireflyr has there...??

He's going to need a rig with bows to make a top. A photo may be enough for an estimate.

cohoslider said:
High desert cruisers or cool cruisers are good sites but they are spendy

And they have soft tops?

Off the Badger website:

10/11/11 Added Toyota FJ25 page, soon offering Land Cruisers tops for the FJ40

Badger News

Call Jonathan at icon 4x4. He may still have some bows. I got a set of reproductions that I think are better than the real steel ones since the door pillar is not a separate piece.
I paid $850 and considering they make vehicles for $150k it's not a bad deal and they are great quality.
As for the top all I can say is good luck.

STC experience

I bought an STC top back in 2003 or 4 and love the lines. I don't think they're in business anymore though. Right after I bought my top, they released them with fully removable side windows.

The top doesn't fit so well over my cage either. I may just make some custom short bows and bow pockets on the cage. The STC bows won't fold down past the rear corners of the family cage. Also, the front overhead cage tubes pull in and up on the top so it doesn't seal against the doors.

I've torn and punctured my canvas, broke the windows when it was sub-freezing and then rolled my 40 while doing a late night steering test.(Steering was fine, ditch was deeper than expected) I broke the old bows then and haven't gotten to putting it all back together yet.

A local canvas shop fixed all of the holes, zippers that were unthreading and broken snaps for about $90.

In the photo: I was playing in the yard at our old place before sticking the 40 on the snowpile. I had to take a strap.:doh:
DSC_0003.jpg

Thanks for the heads up about Badger. I'm hopeful that they come through with a design similar to what Ehsan produced, or OCD is making (albeit very slowly). I've seen their tops for the Defenders and they are a quality product. Other options today are beyond limited as we all know, and look like something off of a Jeep.

They are planning one but expect the top alone to be $2500+. Badger makes a nice but expensive product.

Just hard to think about paying $2,500 for just a top. I paid $150 for the white top including bows and doors in the mid ninties. Bought the black top off mud a couple of years ago with bows for $200. Keep you eyes open deals can be found.
001011.jpg
soft%20top%20and%20bows%20007.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom