SoCal GenIII Vortec Project (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice! Very clean. Great job on the shroud, and I like how you were able to keep the GM air box.

Can't wait for the start-up video!

Thanks Cam. The air box is so that I can get past the California referee. I'm hoping to use the stock FJ62 air can. There are two problems with the GM box. It's sucking hot air, and The windshield washer reservoir won't fit.

I tried to make it a clean install because my current smog check is good for a year and a half, so I'm not sure when I'll get around to visiting the referee.

Thanks Cam. The air box is so that I can get past the California referee. I'm hoping to use the stock FJ62 air can. There are two problems with the GM box. It's sucking hot air, and The windshield washer reservoir won't fit.

I tried to make it a clean install because my current smog check is good for a year and a half, so I'm not sure when I'll get around to visiting the referee.

I didn't look too hard. I thought you had it plumbed to suck cooler fender air. The FJ62 box will be easy for you to hook up. Just hang on the GM box to get past the referee, if they even require it.

In CA, once you are past the referee, do you have to go back every so often or are you "good"?

In CA, once you are past the referee, do you have to go back every so often or are you "good"?

You just need to have it "certified" by the referee once, and he'll put the California Air Resources Board sticker on it. Then you do your normal smog check every two years.

Very cool...!!

Very nice. That no exhaust rumble is intoxicating. Or maybe it's the fumes...

Very nice!! Congrats on getting it done! Now to tie up all the loose ends.

Now once you get it all buttoned up and start driving it you will have to give us some impressions on the 4.8L in the hefty 60. When I was looking at swaps this was one of the ones I was looking at due to the availability and cost. But ultimately, now with the 6.2 being out and more "mature" you are seeing less of the 4.8L, and those you do are within a couple hundred bucks of the 5.3L with similar mileage.

The smile you had must have made all that hard work feel like nothing. Wait till you do you first burnout!

Dyno

Very nice!! Congrats on getting it done! Now to tie up all the loose ends.

Now once you get it all buttoned up and start driving it you will have to give us some impressions on the 4.8L in the hefty 60. When I was looking at swaps this was one of the ones I was looking at due to the availability and cost. But ultimately, now with the 6.2 being out and more "mature" you are seeing less of the 4.8L, and those you do are within a couple hundred bucks of the 5.3L with similar mileage.

Greg, I don't anticipate anything earth shattering. I chose the 4.8 because it provided an adequate increase in power, and because it may give a shade better gas mileage than the 5.3. If the extra power was a concern, I would have gladly paid the extra couple of hundred fot the 5.3. Under no circumstances would I have installed a. 6.0 or 6.2, it would have been overkill for my needs. As I said earlier, the old 3FE was more than adequate for my offroad needs, and all I wanted was to be able to maintain a decent cruising speed while going up steep grades on the highway, and of course the improved gas mileage. Given that the 5.0 in my old 1995 Chevy 1500 was more than adequate, I'm sure that the 4.8 that has more HP and torque than the 5.0 will be fine.

The smile you had must have made all that hard work feel like nothing. Wait till you do you first burnout!

Nah, I'm still annoyed that this was sooooo much work! I read other's estimates of 200 hours or so, well I'm well over 300 hours and that doesn't count all the time spent on line searching through Mud and other websites looking for clues and hints. And it doesn't count for the help I received from Frank and my son and a few others.

Oh, and by the way, I'm well over $10k and still haven't installed the exhaust...

Regarding burnouts, those are for the 6.2 people, not for the 4.8's!

If you don't mind me asking, besides the engine and transmission, what were the bigger cost items that bump up the cost of this swap? I'm trying to get as much info as possible so I can see if I can make it happen without it taking years.

If you don't mind me asking, besides the engine and transmission, what were the bigger cost items that bump up the cost of this swap? I'm trying to get as much info as possible so I can see if I can make it happen without it taking years.

Motor
new sensors
new gaskets
Fan shroud
electric fan(s)?
exhaust manifolds
exhaust gaskets
exhaust system
Trans
Adapter
rebuild T-case, gaskets
motor mounts
cross member work
driveshaft (2) work
radiator
radiator hoses and clamps
heater hoses and clamps
brake booster hose and fittings (different between motor and booster)
fuel pump
fuel lines
fuel filter
trans cooler
trans cooler lines
power steering lines
AC lines
intake tubes
ECU programming
wiring harness
Shifter
gauges
spark plugs
plug wires
wire loom
wire
electrical tape
relays

That should get you started

Last edited:

Stan gave you a pretty comprehensive list,, but I'll post some specifics when I get a chance.

I couldn't resist a little bling...
image.jpeg

Got the exhaust installed today. I wanted it QUIET so my guy installed a big-ass stock GM muffler from a 6.0L. It's awesome! Sounds like a brand new truck!

So, I finally got to cruise around a bit today. What can I say? It's freaking awesome!. As I expected, the 4.8L is more than enough for me. It's a pretty dramatic improvement over the old 3FE.

So far so good. There's a CEL, which of course was expected since I started it so many times without having the O2 sensors installed. I'm not going to even look at the codes. I'm going to clear them and see what comes up after that.

The only thing I'm not happy with is the gas pedal. I'm going to mod that a bit more. What I didn't realize is the it's at 100% TPS with only about half the throw of the gas pedal. So I need to move it so that is sits a little back from the brake pedal. Right now it's about even with the brake pedal and it's a bit awkward, but I'm already getting used to it.

The only thing left to do is to figure out what I'm going to do for the reverse lights, fix the gas pedal and charge the A/C. I also have to disable the AT temperature light on the shift console. One more thing: I installed a Dakota Digital tach adapter and it's reading about 1/2, so I need to tweak that a bit. All the other gauges work.

The only thing left to do is to figure out what I'm going to do for the reverse lights, fix the gas pedal and charge the A/C. I also have to disable the AT temperature light on the shift console. One more thing: I installed a Dakota Digital tach adapter and it's reading about 1/2, so I need to tweak that a bit. All the other gauges work.

If I remember correctly this is the right pin from the 4l60e MLP for the reverse lights. A little searching turned this up and a volt meter will verify.

GRY
Back-Up Lamp Supply Voltage

It supplies voltage when in reverse. i wasn't sure about the amperage from the 4l60e connector powering the cruiser reverse lights, so I wired in a relay using the stock reverse wiring from the cruiser as the main feed. It was pretty simple compared to all the other things you have accomplished.

I also feel your pain on the accelerator pedal. That is the first thing I am changing.

If I remember correctly this is the right pin from the 4l60e MLP for the reverse lights. A little searching turned this up and a volt meter will verify.

GRY
Back-Up Lamp Supply Voltage

It supplies voltage when in reverse. i wasn't sure about the amperage from the 4l60e connector powering the cruiser reverse lights, so I wired in a relay using the stock reverse wiring from the cruiser as the main feed. It was pretty simple compared to all the other things you have accomplished.

I also feel your pain on the accelerator pedal. That is the first thing I am changing.

Bush, could you point me to the actual thread that discusses this? Your link only takes me to the LS1-tech site. I tried to do a search, but same old problem, lots of hits that will take me hours to sift through...

My understanding of this fix is that the original vortec harness is needed. I have a Pacific Fabrication harness. Where would I pick up the reverse lamp signal?

Thanks much,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom